PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

La Canfora: Pats trying hard to keep Bodden - Texans and Steelers in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: La Canfora: Pats making late push for Bodden - Texans and Steelers in it

Yes and aside from Wilfork and Mayo blowing the 1st play of the game, the Ravens ran for 3.6 YPC. Nice liability.

Just one example. What is your evaulation of Guyton has a full-time starter?

Meriweather, McGowan, Sanders... Yeah that is right Chung was NOT "needed", let him develop.

McGowan eventually had his problems, helping bring back Sanders. Chung was essentially a first round pick. But again, I don't really have a negative opinion of him and he's on the same track as Meriweather.

That was early in the Bills game and Brace settled down. I don't know exactly why you expect rookies to play like seasoned vets. Pryor played well last season for his limited role.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying there.

He was not "benched" and Springs was signed for a reason. Butler has to develop, we shouldn't be expecting him to come in as a rookie and start. That is not how BB prefers to develop players.

Butler was benched. He started against the Saints and Dolphins and did not start after that. What else do you call that?

You're making my point with not expecting rookies to come in and start. Too bad the Colts' ones were able to though, and performed quite well.

Except you completely ignore that the Patriots were more set accross the board than the Colts were at WR. They absolutely needed their drafted receivers to contribute. I know the Colts are very good at drafting players for their system and I'm not trying to knock their draft at all. But it just seemed like we were comparing rookie seasons in a draft in 2 different situations that weren't really comparable.

I'm curious as to know how you watched leadership and locker room problems?

What do you mean by "watched?"

For all those problems, they still won the division and only got blown out by 1 team all season. Went into the last meaningless game with a 10-5 record. And held a lead in the 3rd or 4th quarter of every single loss except the Saints game.

Start up the t-shirt printing presses...

I'm sorry, but I have higher expectations than that. I'm sure that Kraft and BB do too.

Yes the team had flaws and inability to hold onto a lead was the biggest effect of these flaws. But to claim they weren't a good team last year I think is just wrong.

When did I say they weren't a good team? They just weren't good enough and some would say have gotten worse each of the past three seasons.

Last edited:

Just one example. What is your evaulation of Guyton has a full-time starter?

That he was much improved in year 2 compared to year 1 and I look forward to his continued development. He's not stout against the run but at the same time I don't think he's a big liability. He's also only going into year 3 of a complex defense that has proven it takes multiple years to fully grasp.

McGowan eventually had his problems, helping bring back Sanders. Chung was essentially a first round pick. But again, I don't really have a negative opinion of him and he's on the same track as Meriweather.

I agree, but would you say he was "needed" or was McGowan and Sanders serviceable/solid so that we weren't in desperate need of a rookie to perform at a high level?

Butler was benched. He started against the Saints and Dolphins and did not start after that. What else do you call that?

I don't really call it anything, but he did play against the panthers (albeit didn't start). Bodden was the only lock as a starter last season. Butler had his ups and downs but Springs' veteran presence was needed more than a rookie's inexperienced talent.

You're making my point with not expecting rookies to come in and start. Too bad the Colts' ones were able to though, and performed quite well.

That's the thing, you continue to equate end-result with ability. The Colts NEEDED them to play, so they did. That is not to say the Patriots rookies were incapable of playing or starting in different circumstances.

What do you mean by "watched?"

Well you asked if we watched the same team and went on to say there were leadership and locker room problems. I am curious as how I could have watched for those problems. I rather accept that I have NO idea how the locker room really is/was than try to analyze it based on some media reports.

Start up the t-shirt printing presses...

So you are of the opinion that it is superbowl win or utter failure?

When did I say they weren't a good team? They just weren't good enough and some would say have gotten worse each of the past three seasons.

OK I misinterpreted your quote of the word "good" earlier I guess.

2008 is a mulligan, so yeah there was a drop from 2007 (and what should have been 2008) to 2009. This was due mainly to the loss of multiple veterans and a big reliance on youth and inexperience. As the inexperience gains experience, the team will improve.

Of course it was pretty much impossible to go anywhere except down after 2007. I expect to finish better in 2010 than we did in 2009, and there is nothing that indicates I shouldn't expect that.

2009 + rookie experience = better 2010 is not a valid argument by itself.

I, for one, strongly believe that 2009 + rookie experience + a boatload of high-value picks in a deep draft = better 2010

That he was much improved in year 2 compared to year 1 and I look forward to his continued development. He's not stout against the run but at the same time I don't think he's a big liability. He's also only going into year 3 of a complex defense that has proven it takes multiple years to fully grasp.

Reasonable assessment. Position is still upgradeable because ideally you want a 3-man rotation (i.e. Bruschi, Phifer, Johnson).

I agree, but would you say he was "needed" or was McGowan and Sanders serviceable/solid so that we weren't in desperate need of a rookie to perform at a high level?

I don't think that asking a 34th overall pick to perform at the level that McGowan or Sanders did last season is too much to ask. There were many early round picks that did last year.

I don't really call it anything, but he did play against the panthers (albeit didn't start). Bodden was the only lock as a starter last season. Butler had his ups and downs but Springs' veteran presence was needed more than a rookie's inexperienced talent.

Doesn't discount the fact that Butler was starting, had trouble, and was replaced. Don't see the end game to this argument though, let's drop it.

That's the thing, you continue to equate end-result with ability. The Colts NEEDED them to play, so they did. That is not to say the Patriots rookies were incapable of playing or starting in different circumstances.

Again, I think we've gone too far off course with this argument. I've lost what the point was.

Well you asked if we watched the same team and went on to say there were leadership and locker room problems. I am curious as how I could have watched for those problems. I rather accept that I have NO idea how the locker room really is/was than try to analyze it based on some media reports.

Many media members talked extensively about the problems that were there. Said media members are also connected to the players. How do you think Shalise got her report about the guys being late?

So you are of the opinion that it is superbowl win or utter failure?

Not utter failure, because I don't think 2005-06-07 were utter failures. It's just the general trend. Embarassing losses like the Saints, Ravens, and Dolphins games used to not happen.

OK I misinterpreted your quote of the word "good" earlier I guess.

I said they were not great but above average.

2008 is a mulligan, so yeah there was a drop from 2007 (and what should have been 2008) to 2009. This was due mainly to the loss of multiple veterans and a big reliance on youth and inexperience. As the inexperience gains experience, the team will improve.

I'm not going year-by-year with the analysis, just making a general observation of the past two years as a whole.

Of course it was pretty much impossible to go anywhere except down after 2007. I expect to finish better in 2010 than we did in 2009, and there is nothing that indicates I shouldn't expect that.

Until the Pats at least get their roster back up to a 2010 level, make a move to get it higher than that, and make their draft selections, I have a hard time how you come to that conclusion. Just seems like the same irrational wishful thinking that led us to disappointment the past two seasons.

The thing I just don't get is how most people on this board were railing about how much work the Pats needed to do this offseason to get back to be a championship-caliber team. That was the week after the Ravens loss, so early January. Two months later, in early March, no additional talent has been brought in yet the outlook is miraculously better. I just don't get it. It's like the combine, and this is something Pioli used to talk about. Players would be at a certain level at the end of the season, after they had played their last game in the college. Then, because of the underwear olympics, players' values would suddenly be all that much higher in March. Pioli couldn't understand it.

Last edited:

I, for one, strongly believe that 2009 + rookie experience + a boatload of high-value picks in a deep draft = better 2010

To be determined...

Conspiracy theory time: Did BB, anticipating the departure of Dunta Robinson from the Texans, sit Bodden in Houston so that they couldn't get a good look at him?

Rookie experience is counterbalanced by a drop off in play among older veterans, and by potential sophomore slumps. Plus, let's be honest about what the rookies did last year. Other than, arguably, Vollmer, no rookie made more noise than a QB conversion product who missed several games with a broken arm.

While the 2009 draft class showed promise, it didn't do all that much on the field.

Until the Pats at least get their roster back up to a 2010 level, make a move to get it higher than that, and make their draft selections, I have a hard time how you come to that conclusion. Just seems like the same irrational wishful thinking that led us to disappointment the past two seasons.

Never mind that the "disappointment" of 2008 was nothing to do with the offseason and everything to do with the Pats HOF QB blowing out his knee 7 minutes into the season.

Hopefully we let this guy walk. If we have the same roster as last year but more expensive, how's that help? Wilhite is good, just needs to LOOK FOR THE BALL! And Butler is a star in the making if he gets playing time.

Let him walk. He wants big money, bye bye.:p

Conspiracy theory time: Did BB, anticipating the departure of Dunta Robinson from the Texans, sit Bodden in Houston so that they couldn't get a good look at him?
Huh?

PFT has a version that makes more sense...
Our guess is that Bodden's agent is saying that the Texans are interested, and that McClain is plugged in to the thinking of the team that he covers as thoroughly as any beat writer does.

I believe Bodden sat against the Texans because of something that he said the week prior, I just can't remember what. I remember the prevailing media thought being that it was just a slap on the wrist.

Seriously?

Never mind that the "disappointment" of 2008 was nothing to do with the offseason and everything to do with the Pats HOF QB blowing out his knee 7 minutes into the season.

Irrespective of the trash secondary that season...

(If that was 100% true, then the Pats wouldn't have gone out and signed Springs and drafted Chung and Butler...)

Last edited:

I don't think that asking a 34th overall pick to perform at the level that McGowan or Sanders did last season is too much to ask. There were many early round picks that did last year.

That's not unfair, but would you agree that we didn't need Chung to perform at that level and that it is probably better for the team as well as his overall development to allow him to develop without the inevitable growing pains hurting too much in games that count?

Doesn't discount the fact that Butler was starting, had trouble, and was replaced. Don't see the end game to this argument though, let's drop it.

Garcon/Collie aren't going to play much if the colts have Harrison/Gonzalez healthy. If Springs weren't able to play, Butler would have continued to be relied on. That was what I meant to be my point, not that Butler played awesome.

Many media members talked extensively about the problems that were there. Said media members are also connected to the players. How do you think Shalise got her report about the guys being late?

She got it from fat mouth Adalius.

Not utter failure, because I don't think 2005-06-07 were utter failures. It's just the general trend. Embarassing losses like the Saints, Ravens, and Dolphins games used to not happen.

OK But I wouldn't call it a trend. HOF QB ACL tear and relatively major overhaul of the veterans to inexperienced youth are the major factors that led to disappointing years. I don't see the "trend" continuing though. The timing of bad drafts along with veterans hitting their edge contributed to 2009 relying on so many unproven players, but the 2009 draft was really good and this upcoming draft is very deep. Along with any potential FA moves and trades, I'm confident that we will not finish worse than 11-5.

11-5 in 2008 after HOF QB tore his ACL in the 1st game and we were a very dangerous team at the end of 2008. How can you include anything more than 2009 in your assessment of disappointment. If Brady never tore his ACL, I'm pretty sure we would have been closer to 2007 than 2009 that year.

2009 was a disappointment, not due to failed offseason moves or some growing trend that made me lose confidence in the front office. It was poorly timed coincidence of multiple factors that left us with a good team that just wasn't ready to make the leap to greatness.

I rather use the decade worth of data to put my trust in BB and the FO rather than use 1 year of major overhaul to cancel out the previous 9 years of proven success.

Hopefully we let this guy walk. If we have the same roster as last year but more expensive, how's that help? Wilhite is good, just needs to LOOK FOR THE BALL! And Butler is a star in the making if he gets playing time.

Let him walk. He wants big money, bye bye.:p

Are you serious, let our best corner walk? Thank god you don't run the Patriots.

Are you serious, let our best corner walk? Thank god you don't run the Patriots.

You can't afford every guy. New blood needs TIME to actually play and show what they can do. By the end of the year Butler would be BETTER than this guy.

I didn't think he was necessarily that great a corner. Just pretty good.

Yes, let him WALK.

Reasonable assessment. Position is still upgradeable because ideally you want a 3-man rotation (i.e. Bruschi, Phifer, Johnson).

maybe that was supposed to be tyron mckenzie before he got hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday