PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

La Canfora: Pats trying hard to keep Bodden - Texans and Steelers in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: La Canfora: Pats making late push for Bodden - Texans and Steelers in it

No argument then. But at least the Pats are trying to fend off the other teams from raiding our fa's; successfully so far. I think it's time for the Pats to do some raiding of their own.

Be aggressive? Sacriledge! I thought this team over the past five seasons just developed young coaches and young players for other teams to benefit!

Good, let's just go with the roster right now. They should trade all their draft picks into next year and not sign anyone else because gosh-darnit this is a damn good football team and it's a new year and all ills will be cured.

Gee, sounds kind of like the mantra going into 2006 without any WRs and the mantra going into 2008 without any corners or the mantra going into 2009 without any pass rushers, huh? "They'll find someone to get the job done" or "they'll work around it somehow." Hey, Doug Gabriel, Deltha O'Neal, and Derrick Burgess really worked out...

Only if we could go back to the days when the team sought to GET BETTER by going out and getting Rodney, Ted Washington, Corey Dillon...

You're doing an admirable job of keeping this (rather pointless) discussion alive. I think you're being disingenuos--you know damn well that we're into the second day of FA , that there's still five months until the season starts and that the Pats are far from finished in making roster moves.

You're doing an admirable job of keeping this (rather pointless) discussion alive. I think you're being disingenuos--you know damn well that we're into the second day of FA , that there's still five months until the season starts and that the Pats are far from finished in making roster moves.

You're pimping the re-signing of a player who was already under the franchise tag. I'm not sure you should be calling anyone else disingenuous right about now, particularly since you're ignoring much of what Pats1 has posted. Some examples:

I'm not arguing anything you're saying. All I am doing is arguing against those posters who have written that the Pats have gotten better to this point in free agency.

Of course, I'm not making any statements on the Patriots' performance thus far. It's been one day. All I'm saying is that there is a lot that needs to be done, and much of that has yet to be done. Not a critique, just an observation.

Be aggressive? Sacriledge! I thought this team over the past five seasons just developed young coaches and young players for other teams to benefit!

That's just the way the NFL works. Good teams have good players and coaches that other teams want. How about the NFL just do away with FA? That would have solved all the Pats problems! (jk)

I have a question for the posters that said they should have been resigned months ago. How. Did we have enough cap space. I thought we had to wait for March 5th before we could sign some one when the old cap went away.

Only the proration of the signing bonus. For example, if the Patriots signed Player X to a 4-year extension with a $5M signing bonus before the end of the 2009 league year, then $1M would count against 2009 cap and $1M against the 2010-2013 caps.

Pierre Garcon (2008 draft), Austin Collie, Jacob Lacey, Jerraud Powers, Donald Brown (draft/UDFA), and Kyle DeVan and Daniel Muir (street FAs). Too bad the Pats can't draft like that...

But yet you're ignoring Guyton, Hoyer (UDFA) Pryor, Butler, Vollmer, Chung, Edelman (Draft), Connolly, LeVoir, Springs, McGowan (Street FA's)

Slapping the Jets, and losing a close one to Indy while getting stomped by the SB champion Saints is not "played like crap against the tough teams all year".

"Slapping the Jet's" at home and a close loss to Indy (their best game of the year) hardly points to a strong squad.

Their is no end to your Koolaid bender
I wonder if Welker's absence alone next year will allow you to excuse the decline of talent and subsequent losses to come

Mark my words...8-8

And the clock is still ticking on Brady's tenure.
2011 lockout only brings that bunker buster into sharper focus.

But hey....just have another gulp, close your eyes , and repeat endlessly....
In BB we Trust.....

That's really the opposite of what is going on. Those who are backing the idea of 2009 + experience + leadership = better 2010 would theoretically not care about what is done from here on out because the 2010 roster is already golden.

And let's not forget the Texans game was meaningless, we were really an 11-5 team.

=====================================================

Only in Pats land did the Pats finish 11 and 5 and the Jets went 8 and 8.:rolleyes:

But yet you're ignoring Guyton, Hoyer (UDFA) Pryor, Butler, Vollmer, Chung, Edelman (Draft), Connolly, LeVoir, Springs, McGowan (Street FA's)

Guyton and LeVoir contributed in 2008 as well, thus they can't be seen as additions to 2009. Hell, LeVoir started a few games in 2008. He was on the PUP in 2009 and barely played. Guyton only played as much as he did because of Bruschi's retirement, and even then, many people were on him as a liability against the run.

Connolly has been around since 2007 but only has now gotten a chance because they let Hochstein and Yates walk.

Pryor and Chung had marginal contributions.

Hoyer contributed? Really?

Springs? He had a mystery knee injury that he was probable with for about eight weeks in the middle of the season. He helped for maybe the final four games, that's it.

That leaves Edelman, Butler, and Vollmer. Of that group, Butler had about two or three good games but before that was fourth on the depth chart and after the Miami debacle was surpassed by Springs because to stem the bleeding for the end of the season. Edelman's injuries were unfortunate. Vollmer was solid.

Last edited:

"Slapping the Jet's" at home and a close loss to Indy (their best game of the year) hardly points to a strong squad.

Their is no end to your Koolaid bender
I wonder if Welker's absence alone next year will allow you to excuse the decline of talent and subsequent losses to come

Mark my words...8-8

And the clock is still ticking on Brady's tenure.
2011 lockout only brings that bunker buster into sharper focus.

But hey....just have another gulp, close your eyes , and repeat endlessly....
In BB we Trust.....

so aside from WW (and we resign bodden) you are saying the same basic team if going to lose more games then they did last when they had one of the toughest schedules out there?

Sounds more like you just want to hate on the team and bash "kool-aid drinkers" then accually say something meaningful

You're pimping the re-signing of a player who was already under the franchise tag. I'm not sure you should be calling anyone else disingenuous right about now, particularly since you're ignoring much of what Pats1 has posted. Some examples:

A player that everyone and his mother thought would hold out under the franchise tag and was wanting Haynesworth money.

As far as Pats1 statements that you cherry-picked, LMAO. I could throw a few back less reasonable ones back at you about "standing pat every year has been a great stategy:rolleyes:" "be aggressive? sacrilege!!" or "yeah let's just roll out what we had last year and see what happens!" You guys are both playing a B.S. arguing for argument's sake game.

Only in Pats land did the Pats finish 11 and 5 and the Jets went 8 and 8.:rolleyes:

Except I never said the Paths 'finished' 11-5 nor the Jets 'finished' 8-8. But yeah let's pretend the end of the season didn't happen the way it did.

Do you HONESTLY believe the Pats would have lost to the Texans if they were fighting for a playoff spot?

You're pimping the re-signing of a player who was already under the franchise tag.

Now, perhaps, the more rabid homers will finally start to understand why the franchise tag was a potential problem moving forward if the team hadn't worked out a deal..

Just saying...

Guyton and LeVoir contributed in 2008 as well, thus they can't be seen as additions to 2009. Hell, LeVoir started a few games in 2008. He was on the PUP in 2009 and barely played. Guyton only played as much as he did because of Bruschi's retirement, and even then, many people were on him as a liability against the run.

Connolly has been around since 2007 but only has now gotten a chance because they let Hochstein and Yates walk.

Pryor and Chung had marginal contributions.

Hoyer contributed? Really?

Springs? He had a mystery knee injury that he was probable with for about eight weeks in the middle of the season. He helped for maybe the final four games, that's it.

That leaves Edelman, Butler, and Vollmer. Of that group, Butler had about two or three good games but before that was fourth on the depth chart and after the Miami debacle was surpassed by Springs because to stem the bleeding for the end of the season. Edelman's injuries were unfortunate. Vollmer was solid.

Pryor I was impressed with and he did have marginal contributions, im looking forward to seeing him in his 2nd season as a Pat. Chung other than special teams I dont remember seeing making much of a contribution if Im remembering correctly.

If you can't back up your statements then don't make them. YOU specifically claimed

They played like crap against the tough teams all year

Don't try to turn it around.

A player that everyone and his mother thought would hold out under the franchise tag and was wanting Haynesworth money.

I don't know of anyone who thought that Wilfork would hold out for the season. I certainly didn't see a lot of support for that idea here on this board. Hell, I happened to mention the benefits of him sitting out the maximum number of games and then playing the rest to get credit for the season, and I got jumped on for it.

Also, people distinguished between Haynesworth money and more money than the franchise tag. I don't know who thought he'd demand Haynesworth money, but it wasn't a majority, let along "everyone and his mother".

In other words, you're way off here.

As far as Pats1 statements that you cherry-picked, LMAO. I could throw a few back less reasonable ones back at you about "standing pat every year has been a great stategy:rolleyes:" "be aggressive? sacrilege!!" or "yeah let's just roll out what we had last year and see what happens!" You guys are both playing a B.S. arguing for argument's sake game.

I didn't cherry pick anything. You made an erroneous statement that was in conflict to what Pats1 was actually saying. I pointed out a couple of his passages to show just how off base you were.

What's funny is your claim that we're arguing for argument's sake while you're pimping the signing of a player that was already franchised as if that's proof that the team's doing a good job. It's especially funny given that you're already conceding the points that are being made about WRs, for example, but are still griping about the posts.

Last edited:

Mark my words...8-8

They are marked, unfortunately I can't haunt you with this stupidity in my sig. Please make sure not to change your mind when the team adds players and drafts well and comes out looking strong.

Except I never said the Paths 'finished' 11-5 nor the Jets 'finished' 8-8. But yeah let's pretend the end of the season didn't happen the way it did.

Do you HONESTLY believe the Pats would have lost to the Texans if they were fighting for a playoff spot?

Certainly looked to me like they were trying out there. Same guys were on the field. Even from the opening play of the drive, they got burned (marched down field, wide open touchdown by TE on blown coverage by Guyton).

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft