PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

La Canfora: Pats trying hard to keep Bodden - Texans and Steelers in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: La Canfora: Pats making late push for Bodden - Texans and Steelers in it

I like Leigh Bodden. He plays very well. Makes the defense better by his presence. I hope the Patriots keep him.

Well 2010 season isn't here so we won't see how they have gotten better at least for another 6 months or so. Plus experience helps from 2009 to 2010 ;)

That's not entirely fair. Teams can improve with the same personnel when the youngsters mature. 2009 was a very successful draft by most appraisals, including my own. A better Butler, Chung, Vollmer, etc. is going to improve the team standing pat as long as we also retain the core parts. So far the Pats have managed to hold onto Wilfork (huge), Neal and TBC (solid). Retaining Bodden would be very big, so that they Pats won't be forced to draft a young corner, and rely on Wilhite in a starting spot (yuck).

Again, I think most people would tell you that the 2009 team lacked a lot more than experience. I doubt that BB was sitting there at the end of the Saints game saying "Oh, just give Butler and Brace and Wilhite another year and we'll be a 13-3 team." No.

If it was all about experience, then what is there to say about Greg Lewis, Laurence Maroney, Joey Galloway, Alex Smith, Chris Baker, Nick Kaczur, Jarvis Green, Adalius Thomas, Shawn Springs, Ben Watson, and anyone else who underperformed or underwhelmed last season?

Last edited:

That last statement is VERY debatable.

What if the Pats had re-signed all these guys a month ago when they could have?

You assume they "could" have. Negotiations take time. But I don't mean to defend the statement that the Patriots are having the best offseason of anyone. It's early and who has the best day 1 is a pointless debate. I think we had a good team last year and have a very trustworthy front office with 6 months of offseason to improve and build upon the foundations of the team.

Call me crazy, but not really losing anyone of significance yet is a good sign.

When a 10-6 team is barely treading water, and its most reliable receiver is likely to miss a good chunk of the next season, that's not a good sign.

Late pushes is their mo.

Why wasnt bodden signe before the open market hit. People are forgetting that this team has yet to improve this offseason and we shouldnt gush for locking up someone who should have already been locked up.
Ever think maybe Bodden wanted to test the FA waters? Look at the contracts handed out to Robinson, Rolle and others. Players often get overpaid in free agency. What makes you think Bodden would be willing to sign with the Patriots before seeing what his market looks like, knowing how often guys are overpaid in FA? Not like he has a huge connection with the team; he turned down a multi year offer from us last year to take a 1 year prove it deal where he put it in his contract that we couldn't franchise him so he could cash in.

The tweet actually says hard push as well, not late push.

Edit: or "trying hard to keep him" to be exact.

Last edited:

The Bodden saga this offseason has baffled me. They finally get a big, fast, physical man corner who is adept at zone only to leave the escape avenue wide open. In my mind, retaining Bodden is necessary even if overpaying is needed.

They can't allow this continued exodus of tallent and expect to remain competitive.

Two guys who were both all but given up for gone (or disgruntled) two weeks ago.

So lowering the expectations and then exceeding them is "improving?" What is this, the Red Sox?

We'll have to wait until after free agency and the draft to see whether the roster was improved over 2009 or not. We have plenty of draft ammo and aren't exactly over a barrel moneywise right now.

Of course, I'm not making any statements on the Patriots' performance thus far. It's been one day. All I'm saying is that there is a lot that needs to be done, and much of that has yet to be done. Not a critique, just an observation.

Call me crazy, but not really losing anyone of significance yet is a good sign.

And signing anyone who you had before is just treading water.

Last edited:

I'm still trying to work out the validity of the thread title - where does La Canfora say the Pats are making a late push?

His words sound like we're working out butts off to keep him, with others interested - that's it. No "Pats have come back in at the 11th hour" etc.

Pats trying hard to keep CB Leigh Boddon; Texans and Steelers in the hunt as well. More on NFL.com/NFL Network

I'm still trying to work out the validity of the thread title - where does La Canfora say the Pats are making a late push?

His words sound like we're working out butts off to keep him, with others interested - that's it. No "Pats have come back in at the 11th hour" etc.

"The Patriots, Texans and Steelers are all vying for free-agent CB Leigh Bodden, according to league sources.

Bodden, who might be the best corner remaining on the market, intercepted five passes for New England last season, and the Patriots have made a sustained push to retain him. The Texans also are deep in the discussions, viewing Bodden as a replacement for departed CB Dunta Robinson, who received a huge free-agent contract from the Falcons.

The Steelers also are strong candidates for Bodden, who could end up with a contract averaging $7 million per season."

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Bodden receiving interest from Pats, Texans, Steelers

Last edited:

You assume they "could" have. Negotiations take time. But I don't mean to defend the statement that the Patriots are having the best offseason of anyone. It's early and who has the best day 1 is a pointless debate. I think we had a good team last year and have a very trustworthy front office with 6 months of offseason to improve and build upon the foundations of the team.

They had a "good" team last year, but far from a "great" team and just above an "average" team. How has this team become a "great" team since the end of the season? Losing Welker?

2009 + rookie experience = better 2010 is not a valid argument by itself.

Again, I think most people would tell you that the 2009 team lacked a lot more than experience. I doubt that BB was sitting there at the end of the Saints game saying "Oh, just give Butler and Brace and Wilhite another year and we'll be a 13-3 team." No.

There were a lot of miscommunications and big plays in the Saints game. Sanders helped some of those issues, but I absolutely think inexperience was a major factor last season. There is a lot of talent on this team.

If it was all about experience, then what is there to say about Greg Lewis, Laurence Maroney, Joey Galloway, Alex Smith, Chris Baker, Nick Kaczur, Jarvis Green, Adalius Thomas, Shawn Springs, Ben Watson, and anyone else who underperformed or underwhelmed last season?

It's never "all about" any one thing.

BTW Maroney didn't underperform, Kaczur got hurt, Springs played fine, Watson did as expected, Green was solid. Adalius got some authority issues, Galloway and Lewis were flops. None of them were the main reason why our defense allowed big plays in the passing game and struggled to consistently stop the run.

IF we re-sign Bodden, then the starting defense has a really strong foundation and isn't terrible to begin with. Look at solidifying the DL and OLB and we can have a pretty dangerous D next season.

Fixed it, mis-read one of the re-tweets.

"The Patriots, Texans and Steelers are all vying for free-agent CB Leigh Bodden, according to league sources.

Bodden, who might be the best corner remaining on the market, intercepted five passes for New England last season, and the Patriots have made a sustained push to retain him. The Texans also are deep in the discussions, viewing Bodden as a replacement for departed CB Dunta Robinson, who received a huge free-agent contract from the Falcons.

The Steelers also are strong candidates for Bodden, who could end up with a contract averaging $7 million per season."

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Bodden receiving interest from Pats, Texans, Steelers

Hmmm, so no mention of "late push" at all then?

The thread title really should be changed to reflect the reality of the situation.

Fixed it, mis-read one of the re-tweets.

That's fair enough. It gives the trolls less reason to troll :)

Steelers fans are loving this :mad:

There were a lot of miscommunications and big plays in the Saints game. Sanders helped some of those issues, but I absolutely think inexperience was a major factor last season. There is a lot of talent on this team.

It's never "all about" any one thing.

BTW Maroney didn't underperform, Kaczur got hurt, Springs played fine, Watson did as expected, Green was solid. Adalius got some authority issues, Galloway and Lewis were flops. None of them were the main reason why our defense allowed big plays in the passing game and struggled to consistently stop the run.

IF we re-sign Bodden, then the starting defense has a really strong foundation and isn't terrible to begin with. Look at solidifying the DL and OLB and we can have a pretty dangerous D next season.

I'm not saying it's "all about" one thing. But I have a hard time believing that you're sitting there and truly believing that the Pats had a championship-caliber roster in 2009, and instead blaming everything else on such things as veteran leadership, miscommunications, and inexperience. If that argument were to hold true, then you should also be willing to say that the Patriots could roll out the exact same roster in 2010 and expect a significantly better result (say, 13-3 or 14-2 and a Super Bowl appearance). Definition of insanity...

They had a "good" team last year, but far from a "great" team and just above an "average" team.

2009 + rookie experience = better 2010 is not a valid argument by itself.

I don't know about just above an "average" team. I'll agree that they weren't a top team last year without Welker. I know injuries are part of the game but a fully healthy 2009 team is a very good team, albeit inconsistent and risk giving up big plays.

I still contend that with Welker we beat the Ravens. We were better than the Jets, and on par with Indy. I don't think we could have beaten the Saints though.

How has this team become a "great" team since the end of the season? Losing Welker?

There are no games, and thus there is no 2010 team yet. There's parts of a team with a long offseason to go. I don't understand why people are so intent on debating what kind of team they are RIGHT NOW (which is relative anyway).

Doesn't matter who was on the roster last year, they are FREE agents. Are there any teams who signed free agents yesterday that can just sit there and do absolutely nothing and expect better than 10-6? And let's not forget the Texans game was meaningless, we were really an 11-5 team. The biggest problem last year was inexperience, not lack of talent.

Rubbish
They played like crap against the tough teams all year
And the final playoff game was the pinnacle of futility

Status quo is a non-starter....
They need a talent infusion beyond the unlikely lottery winning draft pick starter.

Just remember that Welker is a huge question mark going forward...and Edleman ain't Welker

Without new talent they are 8-8 and possibly worse with that brutal schedule in 2010.

But please don't let me interrupt the Koolaid party

The Colts were in an offensive funk last offseason. They were a wildcard exit. How did they get weapons for Manning?

Pierre Garcon (2008 draft), Austin Collie, Jacob Lacey, Jerraud Powers, Donald Brown (draft/UDFA), and Kyle DeVan and Daniel Muir (street FAs). Too bad the Pats can't draft like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back