PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

La Canfora: Pats trying hard to keep Bodden - Texans and Steelers in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: La Canfora: Pats making late push for Bodden - Texans and Steelers in it

maybe that was supposed to be tyron mckenzie before he got hurt

Still can be, but again, you don't want to go into the season assuming that will all work out, or else you'll be scrambling mightily for a quick fix if it doesn't. We've seen that happen all too often. Better have Plan A and then McKenzie as a Plan B. Dansby would have been the ultimate gold-plated Plan A, but too much of a luxury given the need at other positions.

Last edited:

Re-signing Wilfork yesterday was an irrelevancy for the upcoming season that the suckers are buying into as some big deal. He had already been franchised, so a re-signing is only important for the out years. Re-signing Bodden is something that should never have been an issue, and still hasn't been accomplished.

People are giving the team "attaboys!" for doing things that should have been done months ago. Had the Patriots not been screwing around last season, Wilfork could have had his deal in place, the team could have kept (and franchised) Seymour, and it would be in far better shape today than it is.

Excellent post sir. "Do your job" needs to be carried over to the FO.
DW Toys

Hopefully we let this guy walk. If we have the same roster as last year but more expensive, how's that help? Wilhite is good, just needs to LOOK FOR THE BALL! And Butler is a star in the making if he gets playing time.

Let him walk. He wants big money, bye bye.:p
Wilhite? Really?
DW Toys

Nope. Steelers are just like us with their pennies.

I'm glad we're taking care of our own during DA, something that could have been done a month ago. But I'm glad to period to add proven talent is subsituted for re-signing our own.

I'll be amazed if we keep Bodden, I bet you his price is going to jump too high.

Good point. And it's important to point out that the Patriots are the T
eam of the Decade and the Steelers are runner up to that crown.

I'd love to keep Bodden but not for top dollar. He's a top 2nd tier cover guy but not worth Top 10 money.

Excellent post sir. "Do your job" needs to be carried over to the FO.
DW Toys

Just gotta keep pushing harder. They can always do better. Can't settle for thes status quo. Don't want another Baltimore disaster.

Last edited:

Rookie experience is counterbalanced by a drop off in play among older veterans, and by potential sophomore slumps. Plus, let's be honest about what the rookies did last year. Other than, arguably, Vollmer, no rookie made more noise than a QB conversion product who missed several games with a broken arm.

While the 2009 draft class showed promise, it didn't do all that much on the field.

That is true if your roster has roughly a normal age distribution. The Pats, OTOH, already jettisoned most of their declining vets last year. Who, on this team, is likely to exhibit a significant decline this year? Faulk, Moss, Kaczur, Light, Neal, Koppen, Morris and Springs are all candidates, but most likely only a couple of them will show a significant decline. And I'd actually remove Moss and Light from that list anyways, since any age-related dropoff should be more than compensated for by becoming healthy. Faulk is a real concern, since we can't really replace him, Morris was a JAG to begin with, Kaczur should lose his spot in the starting lineup to Vollmer anyways, Koppen and Neal need to be addressed, since I don't trust either of them as starter-caliber and durable enough, respectively, and admittedly we're in trouble if we're counting on Springs to be anything more than CB3 and a good situational matchup.

Compare that to Vollmer, Butler, Edelman, Chung, Brace, Pryor, McKenzie, Mayo, Wheatley, Wilhite, Crable, Guyton, and whoever we draft this year. Some will disappoint (I've already written off Crable and Wheatley as guys who I doubt will ever amount to anything). Clearly, though, the realistic upside of this latter group far outweighs the realistic potential for decline in the former. Some of the guys who are candidates for real decline already have a replacement who was above their caliber last year anyways: Springs < Butler, Kaczur < Vollmer.

I'd also disagree with your assertion that Butler didn't show us much last year. I fully expect him to be our #2 CB (behind Bodden) in 2010, and he showed real playmaker potential over extended periods.

Good point. And it's important to point out that the Patriots are the T
eam of the Decade and the Steelers are runner up to that crown.

I'd love to keep Bodden but not for top dollar. He's a top 2nd tier cover guy but not worth Top 10 money.

I'd be fine with Bodden being the 10th highest paid CB in the NFL. He's right around the 10th best. The issue, though, is that CB talent isn't neatly distributed like that. You have a few guys who are *way* better than anyone else, and they're worth far, far more than anyone below them. After that, there's probably 10 or 15 guys in the next tier down, and Bodden's in that group.

Wilhite? Really?
DW Toys

im not going to sit here and say wilhite had a good year because he didnt but i dont recall him ever getting beat badly and it seemed like every time he was involved in a play he was right there on the receiver and had his arms been 2 inches longer could have caused a deflection

i think he can work this offseason and get himself into better positions

That is true if your roster has roughly a normal age distribution. The Pats, OTOH, already jettisoned most of their declining vets last year. Who, on this team, is likely to exhibit a significant decline this year? Faulk, Moss, Kaczur, Light, Neal, Koppen, Morris and Springs are all candidates, but most likely only a couple of them will show a significant decline. And I'd actually remove Moss and Light from that list anyways, since any age-related dropoff should be more than compensated for by becoming healthy. Faulk is a real concern, since we can't really replace him, Morris was a JAG to begin with, Kaczur should lose his spot in the starting lineup to Vollmer anyways, Koppen and Neal need to be addressed, since I don't trust either of them as starter-caliber and durable enough, respectively, and admittedly we're in trouble if we're counting on Springs to be anything more than CB3 and a good situational matchup.

Compare that to Vollmer, Butler, Edelman, Chung, Brace, Pryor, McKenzie, Mayo, Wheatley, Wilhite, Crable, Guyton, and whoever we draft this year. Some will disappoint (I've already written off Crable and Wheatley as guys who I doubt will ever amount to anything). Clearly, though, the realistic upside of this latter group far outweighs the realistic potential for decline in the former. Some of the guys who are candidates for real decline already have a replacement who was above their caliber last year anyways: Springs < Butler, Kaczur < Vollmer.

I'd also disagree with your assertion that Butler didn't show us much last year. I fully expect him to be our #2 CB (behind Bodden) in 2010, and he showed real playmaker potential over extended periods.

If you ignore the age drop off by proclaiming, without historical evidence, that injury improvement overcomes that, and you then assume that no player will get injured this season, you can assert that "clearly" statement. If you don't do that, and you take a rational approach, you can't do that. Given that older players tend to be more injury prone, and take longer to heal, it makes no sense to assume that you can ignore the drop off. Also, given that we've seen the impact that Neal missing games has on the team's offensive line, I just don't find your "clearly" statement credible.

And Butler was not better than Springs, which is why he was benched for Springs at the end of the year. Now, if the age drop off happens to Springs and the second year leap happens for Butler, that'll make for an interesting comparison of last year vs. this year.

Last edited:
Steelers fans are loving this :mad:

Someone should remind them that the jury is still out on Ben Rapistberger's future as a citizen. :D

If the Pats needed to win to advance in the playoffs do they think they beat the Ravens or not? Oh, wait...

As is chalking it up as a win as part of an 11-5 record when the team **** the bed seven days later in a much more important game.

After losing 50% of their offense.

Really the Patriots were dominating that Texans game, until they broke the momentum by bringing the subs in. yes they brought the starters back, but the game clearly meant nothing to them.

Yes and aside from Wilfork and Mayo blowing the 1st play of the game, the Ravens ran for 3.6 YPC. Nice liability.

Meriweather, McGowan, Sanders... Yeah that is right Chung was NOT "needed", let him develop.

That was early in the Bills game and Brace settled down. I don't know exactly why you expect rookies to play like seasoned vets. Pryor played well last season for his limited role.

He was not "benched" and Springs was signed for a reason. Butler has to develop, we shouldn't be expecting him to come in as a rookie and start. That is not how BB prefers to develop players.

Except you completely ignore that the Patriots were more set accross the board than the Colts were at WR. They absolutely needed their drafted receivers to contribute. I know the Colts are very good at drafting players for their system and I'm not trying to knock their draft at all. But it just seemed like we were comparing rookie seasons in a draft in 2 different situations that weren't really comparable.

I'm curious as to know how you watched leadership and locker room problems?

For all those problems, they still won the division and only got blown out by 1 team all season. Went into the last meaningless game with a 10-5 record. And held a lead in the 3rd or 4th quarter of every single loss except the Saints game.

Yes the team had flaws and inability to hold onto a lead was the biggest effect of these flaws. But to claim they weren't a good team last year I think is just wrong.

You really can't cite YPC in the Ravens game because of the amount of times they ran. Flacco hardly threw the ball. Given what happened, a 3.6 ypc gets you a first down if the opposing team can't stop the run. It's more than good enough to win with.

The fact that Belichick started guys over Butler doesn't really phase me at all, since he also started Wilhite over others, and clearly Wilhite was not at Butler's level.

I think I know why BB does this, he wants to develop guys for the future. But then at the very end, Butler was playing a lot more than Wilhite. I think BB might have thrown in the towel a little bit.

If you ignore the age drop off by pretending that injury improvement overcomes that, and you then assume that no player will get injured this season, you can assert that "clearly" statement.

Not at all, I assume that players will get injured. Notice that I didn't say anything about Brady, Wilfork, Mayo, Vollmer, Springs, Neal, Tate, McKenzie, or Green, all of whom had injuries that significantly affected their play last year and caused them to miss games in all but Brady's case. If I was 'assuming that no player will get injured this season', I would have mentioned them.

Instead, I pointed out two specific guys who historically aren't injury prone, yet suffered an injury early in the year last year that significantly impacted their play throughout the season, but should heal just fine given some offseason rest. They may both get injured again, but it's unlikely that either would suffer that same type of injury.

Given that older players tend to be more injury prone, and take longer to heal, it makes no sense to assume that you can ignore the drop off.

Classic straw man: I didn't ignore the dropoff, see above.

Also, given that we've seen the impact that Neal missing games has on the team's offensive line, I just don't find your "clearly" statement credible.

He already missed four games last year, and wasn't even close to 100% in many of the others. I wanted the Pats to move on because he's so injury prone, but this injury proneness is already built-in to the team's performance. He'd have to be more injured in 2010 than 2009 for it to have a net effect relative to last year.

Could happen, but, as usual, you're just taking the worst-case scenario and using that as the baseline to build your case that the Pats will be worse off. It's the same mistake that homers make when they project forward by assuming that every young player will get better, every injured player will heal, and every veteran will stay the same. It's not realism: it's just flawed, deeply biased, faulty logic.

And Butler was not better than Springs, which is why he was benched for Springs at the end of the year. Now, if the age drop off happens to Springs and the second year leap happens for Butler, that'll make for an interesting comparison of last year vs. this year.

With Springs, you're getting a guy who can give you a few good games, but can't give you many games at all. It is what he is, and it's what he's been for the better part of a decade. That's not just who he was last year; it's who he's always been, and it's who he'll be again this year. There are guys who got hurt last year and you can reasonably figure that odds are against a re-occurrence because they don't get hurt frequently (Light, for example), and then there are guys who got hurt last year just like they get hurt every year, and at this point they are what they are (Neal, Springs). Simply by staying on the field, Butler is a better player than Springs.

That said, I'm not sure why you'd use the Texans game as an example of Springs being superior to Butler. Both started, both played plenty of snaps, and Butler had an interception. By any measure, he had a better game than Springs did. And Butler wasn't benched for the Jaguars game: he was inactive. Unless Butler somehow managed to fall behind Wilhite on the DC for all of one week, there it was not a simple benching.

Side note: I *do* think that it's highly probable that we'll be less impacted by injuries than we were last year, where we had Brady in his first year back from a two-year injury (and improving greatly as the year went on), as well as Wilfork, Mayo, and Moss all hobbled. That's four of the top five players on the team, and, even starting with Welker's injury, it's unlikely that that will happen again. That's a completely different debate, though, so if you want to have that one let's start another thread and go at it.

Last edited:

You really can't cite YPC in the Ravens game because of the amount of times they ran. Flacco hardly threw the ball. Given what happened, a 3.6 ypc gets you a first down if the opposing team can't stop the run. It's more than good enough to win with.

Well I've already broken down the game in the past to show it was the offenses fault. The run defense wasn't great but it wasn't a liability that lost the game.

They ran a lot because it was 24-0, not because they were running all over the Patriots defense.

Not at all, I assume that players will get injured. Moss and Light were far from the only guys to get hurt last year, and I didn't include many of the guys who will rebound from injury in a big way (such as, oh I dunno, Tom Brady). It would take about a three second glance at the roster to make it abundantly clear that I'm not cherry-picking, but that's what you're accusing me of anyways. Not that I'm surprised.

I wasn't accusing you of anything. I even went back and changed the post because I thought the word "ignore" might be taken in a more confrontational manner than I had intended. However, you do have to ignore the effects of age in order to make your claim.

Which is why I didn't ignore the dropoff.

Essentially claiming it a wash because of injury is the same thing.

He already missed four games last year, and wasn't even close to 100% in many of the others. I wanted the Pats to move on because he's so injury prone, but for this to be a negative factor on 2010, relative to 2009, he would have to be even more injury-prone than he was last year. Could happen, but, as usual, you're just taking the worst-case scenario, projecting it out as a sure thing, and using that to build your case that the Pats will be worse off. It's bad logic, no matter how firmly you phrase it, and how rational you claim to be.

I wasn't taking any worse case scenario. I responded to someone talking about rookies getting better by noting that the flip side is veterans dropping off. You jumped in with a poor argument. Let's not pretend this is something more than that.

Funny how you'll pretend that injuries don't exist when it suits your purpose. With Springs, you're getting a guy who can give you a few good games, but can't give you many games at all. It is what he is, and it's what he's been for the better part of a decade. Simply by staying on the field, Butler is a better player than Springs.

I wasn't pretending anything. I wasn't the one making out the lineups. You should take this up with Belichick. Springs was better than Butler last season.

Look, I saw some good things out of Butler's play. I hope that he'll make the leap. However, even if he becomes the equal of Springs, that will only make for improvement if Springs doesn't fade to the level of Butler.

That said, I'm not sure why you'd use the Texans game as an example of Springs being superior to Butler. Both started, both played plenty of snaps, and Butler had an interception. By any measure, he had a better game than Springs did. And Butler wasn't benched for the Jaguars game: he was inactive. So unless Butler somehow managed to fall behind Wilhite on the DC for all of one week, there was more to that that we were not aware of.

I didn't use any particular game. However, "inactive" would be a benching, pretty much by definition.

Really? Because they've been able to re-sign guys that were part of a 10-6 roster? If they don't re-sign them then this roster is now 8-8.

What if the Pats had re-signed all these guys a month ago when they could have?
Oh, I see what you mean. By signing them now they are still a 10-6 team, but if they signed them a month ago, they'd be an 13-3 team. Good point.

Oh, I see what you mean. By signing them now they are still a 10-6 team, but if they signed them a month ago, they'd be an 13-3 team. Good point.

Um, no. Not what I said at all. By "what if they had signed all these guys a month ago," I meant "Would we still have threads proclaiming how the Pats are the champions of free agency thus far?"

Um, no. Not what I said at all. By "what if they had signed all these guys a month ago," I meant "Would we still have threads proclaiming how the Pats are the champions of free agency thus far?"

We don't have any threads proclaiming that now, do we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes