PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirwan says Bengals want #3 seed more than the Patriots do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over on our Cowboys MB, there's still contiuining discussions over whether we should have hired Norv Turner over Wade Phillips, and it got very heated when we played your team a month ago.

Personally - I'm on the fence - I like how Wade turned around our D, but at the same time, our lukewarm Dec runs are more internal than anything else(this Dec, we've seemed to turn things around, but we've nonetheless been nothing more than OK). Norv has done an outstanding job with the Chargers, always finishing strong, and have yet to lose a Dec game under him, and are 3-2 in the playoffs(compared to Wade's 0-1 playoff record here). But like said, our weak finishes are more rooted internally than anything else, regardless of the coach. Even "Mr. December" Parcells couldn't do much.
From the perspective of now I can see why there would be that discussion. However, if you went back in time when the two teams were interviewing for HCs I have NO IDEA how ANYONE would even look at Norv Turner at that time. Good grief, he had, for whatever reason, a terrible record as a HC. I was dead set against the Chargers hiring him and was disappointed when they did. Of course, once hired, I tried to be objective and give him a chance but, dang, at the time, I was thinking what in hell is AJ and Dean thinking?? Funny how things turn out. I wonder if there were those here that questioned Kraft when he hired, at that point in time, an unsuccessful HC in Bill B.

I haven't watched a lot of the SD games

but I want no part of them. I think they're the team to beat this year.

I guess we'll see in a few weeks though

I agree. Not sure why so many fellow Pats fans are being so ****y about the Chargers. Even with the Jax game in hand, the Patriots remain not nearly as good, nor as hot, as the Chargers right now. Obviously I hope I'm wrong, but let's get real.

Last edited:
I agree. Not sure why so many fellow Pats fans are being so ****y about the Chargers. Even with the Jax game in hand, the Patriots remain not nearly as good, nor as hot, as the Chargers right now. Obviously I hope I'm wrong, but let's get real.

It is the everyone else but the Pats sucks mentality that sometimes takes hold here. If the roles were reversed and the Pats were on the same 10 game win streak the Chargers are on we'd be already talking about the Super Bowl parade.

The Chargers aren't unbeatable - no one is this year. They are playing the best in the AFC and would be a clear favorite if there is a Pats/SD playoff game in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Rivers is a top 10 quarterback who should be able to remain upright if the Patriots don't blitz, so he'll be able to work on a Patriots secondary that's not as good as the numbers indicate (although Springs getting into the lineup should help the situation from a Patriots perspective).

Rivers has been top 5 this year. And San Diego has a very good team. The only real downside for San Diego that I see is their playoff history.

The Patriots have had some pretty mediocre performances this year. Fortunately, they seem to be gelling more now - but it's tough to really tell since they haven't faced top competition recently.

I think a lot will depend on how Tom Brady plays. Although it's a team game, Tom Brady could have (and should have) been the difference in 3 of their losses this year - if he just did what he seemed to always do in previous years. But he didn't. If Tom Brady can play at a high level, then Patriot fans have every reason to be optimistic about this game.

JMarr said:
Are you sure about that Pao? Too lazy to look it up, but I'm pretty sure that San Diego had at least one playoff game blacked out a couple of years ago. If not, it was only lifted only at the last minute, and an embarrassment to the franchise nonetheless.

Nope, never happened . Never will.

Actually, JMarr hit the nail on the head with the alternative thought. The only reason the game wasn't blacked out was because the NFL gave the Chargers a time extension:

SignOnSanDiego.com > San Diego Chargers -- Chargers face local blackout if fair-weather fans no-shows

Pat was just talking about this on Sirius Radio and I think he may have a point here.

He said the Bengals are fully confident that if they win thier first game as the#3 seed they can surely go to San Diego and win since they came very close to doing just that a few weeks ago.

He said the Patriots feel the exact same way about the #4 seed as being confident that they can go to Indy and win since they came beyond close to doing that a month ago as well.

Pat expects the Pats to lay off just about all thier starters this upcoming game and pretty much tank the Houston game because they really want the #4 and Cincy will do just the opposite and play all thier starters all game and try as hard as they can to gather up the #3 if NE does lose.

Makes sense...
You do realize that this is what he thinks they think and is not at all based in him being told anything of the sort from anyone in either organization right?

I have a funny feeling in my bones that the Bengals will be playing in the AFC Title game.

You do realize that this is what he thinks they think and is not at all based in him being told anything of the sort from anyone in either organization right?

Yeah. He's just saying what he thinks and reporting maybe a little clubhouse gossip; not what the Coach or anyone has decided. The fact that it arguably makes sense makes it easy to jump to the conclusion.

Same thing with the thread that claimed that Reiss said that Brady said that he was going to play the full game Sunday. When you go to the source, Brady says, as he always does, that he wants to play the full game and expects to play the full game but that Belichick makes these decisions and he hadn't made it, at least for public dissemination.

I may be in the minority but even today I still believe BB tanked the last regualr season game in 2005 vs. Miami with Cassel at QB so that they could play Jax IIRC

You're right. Cassel played the majority of that game. Pats still almost won.

And IIRC if they would have won that game they would have been #3 seed and played the Steelers instead of the Jaguars in the first round. Of course Pittsburgh went on to win the Super Bowl that year while the Pats lost in Denver.

Oh what could have been.

This all sounds good right up to the point where the Patriots would have to go to Cincy for an AFC matchup when they could have been the home team. Kirwan is a dummy if he thinks players think like this. If I had to guess and NE was really feeling confident, they would play anyone, anywhere in their quest to get to the Super Bowl. Would they like a chance at Indy again? Absolutely. But it's best to prepare for your next opponent, regardless who it is, rather than plan for the next game before you win the one you're supposed to.

This all sounds good right up to the point where the Patriots would have to go to Cincy for an AFC matchup when they could have been the home team. Kirwan is a dummy if he thinks players think like this. If I had to guess and NE was really feeling confident, they would play anyone, anywhere in their quest to get to the Super Bowl. Would they like a chance at Indy again? Absolutely. But it's best to prepare for your next opponent, regardless who it is, rather than plan for the next game before you win the one you're supposed to.

Like I said earlier I don't think it's a lack of confidence so much as it is a desire to have another shot at Indy

Actually, JMarr hit the nail on the head with the alternative thought. The only reason the game wasn't blacked out was because the NFL gave the Chargers a time extension:

SignOnSanDiego.com > San Diego Chargers -- Chargers face local blackout if fair-weather fans no-shows
Well first the dude said there was a black out, there never was. Then when I called him on it he qualified it. But really, who cares anyway? I don't understand the fascination with how many tickets the Chargers sell for their playoff games. Come on guys, their's way more important stuff to talk about. That is some weak smack talking about stuff like that.

Well first the dude said there was a black out, there never was. Then when I called him on it he qualified it. But really, who cares anyway? I don't understand the fascination with how many tickets the Chargers sell for their playoff games. Come on guys, their's way more important stuff to talk about. That is some weak smack talking about stuff like that.

Pao, I qualified it because I didn't remember for sure. No biggie. You're not a troll, so I agree that smack talking is a bit silly in this instance. But hey, that's one the beauties of being a fan--the Chargers and Pats hate each other, as do their fans. :)

As for your comment about still carrying the "classless" torch, I guarantee you that it is still lit in the Patriots' lockerrroom, as well as in the heart and soul of Mr. Classy himself.

Pao, I qualified it because I didn't remember for sure. No biggie. You're not a troll, so I agree that smack talking is a bit silly in this instance. But hey, that's one the beauties of being a fan--the Chargers and Pats hate each other, as do their fans. :)

As for your comment about still carrying the "classless" torch, I guarantee you that it is still lit in the Patriots' lockerrroom, as well as in the heart and soul of Mr. Classy himself.
Although he isn't with the Pats any more, I'll bet the Hobbs celebration on the Chargers logo after the '07 playoffs still resonates with a few Chargers too. I was really pissed at him at the time but really came to respect Hobbs while watching Patriots games after the '07 playoffs. He, from what I read and saw, played hurt, did everything asked of him and was a very good returner.

I didn't like it when a Charger player did something similar too so I'm not just a homer. After the Chargers upset the Steelers lin '94 Defensive End Chris Mims picked up a terrible towel and was stomping on it like it was his favorite hanky on fire. Totally unacceptable imo. Done and done though. If either team still carries the torch for those "slights" that's up to them. I certainly don't.

Having said all that I tip my cap to you. You could really have flamed me and didn't. Thanks.

Hahahahaha.....you're too cute, little Ray. SD crowd "pumped?" LMFAO!!!!! You mean the same San Diego that has to black out playoff games because so many of their "pumped" fans fill the stadium?
:(

Obviously you're thinking of someone else. We haven't had a game blacked out in about 10 years.

FWIW I was at the Pats - Colts playoff game in the '06-'07 season in San Diego. And to be honest with you, the crowd was a lot louder and more animated than I expected. Chargers' crowds aren't known to be as rabid and vocal as say Seattle or KC (when they were good), but I was impressed. It was a hell of a lot louder than I expected...of course when Troy made that strip of Marlon McCree and Brady hit Gaffney down the sideline late in the game, it got awful quiet. :D

The Pats have not appeared in a SB w/o having a bye week since the '85 season.

Bill needs to treat this game as a bye for starters such as Brady, Welker, Moss, Light, Wilfork, Warren & Mayo.

Win or lose, by far the most important outcome tomorrow will be injuries, and the lack thereof...I hope.

OTOH, I hope that Cincy goes to NJ & beats the living crap out of the jesters.

The Chargers beat the piss out of you last year. Rivers is playing better than Brady, we have better running game and a better secondary and I believe a superior passing game. This not to mention you're coming to SD where the crowd will be pumped. You barely beat us in 2007 with a busted up team. I give you guys a 30% chance at best. There's a reason why you're begging for the 4 seed.

This is a hilarious post.

Wasn't it 2008 last time the Chargers and Pats played each other? And wasn't Cassel the QB?

If they played now, it would be 2010...Quite some time ago, so naturally I would expect that the teams would be jut a little bit different, or am I way off base with that? :rollseyes:

And did you REALLY say that SD has a better run game than NE? Really? According the NFL Team stats, the Pats are 11th in rushing yards a game..SD is 29th...With math I learned back in school, 11th is better than 29th...right?

As for passing...Pats are 4th, SD is 5th..Not only that, but Brady REGULARLY faces top 5 pass Ds. Rivers has faced what 1 or 2 this whole season?

Man, I appreciate fans of other teams when they can contribute something valuable to a discussion, but don't even bother coming here if all you can do is spit out made up stuff that makes you sound like a homer.

Last edited:
Doesn't it still behoove the Pats to try to win as many games as possible so that they can host more home games? If by some chance, the Bengals survived and the Pats survived to the AFC championship game, if the Pats had the #3 seed, they'd be hosting in Foxboro instead of going to Cinci.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes