PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirwan says Bengals want #3 seed more than the Patriots do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol if this is true you guys must have the most underperforming squad in NFL history. Good luck, you're going to need it. Don't count on a one in a million fumble to win this one.

Lets say Williams was healthy, you still cant consider SD to have a better DL then the Patriots.

Your team will under perform when your most important player is coming back from major reconstructive knee surgery and hasnt played a snap of football in a year. Not to mention a total overhaul on the defensive side of the football. Chargers a very good football team and probably better then the Patriots, but when its one and done and you have the best QB in football along with the best HC I like our chances.

Lol if this is true you guys must have the most underperforming squad in NFL history. Good luck, you're going to need it. Don't count on a one in a million fumble to win this one.

1.) How is 10-5, with a QB coming off of ACL surgery and a young defense taking time to gel "underperforming"? Frankly, they're lucky to have the record they do, but pointing out areas of superiority is not the same as declaring greatness across the board.

2.) The comparison was to the Chargers, which is what you asked for. Quit being a troll or expect to be banned fairly quickly.

The Chargers beat the piss out of you last year. Rivers is playing better than Brady, we have better running game and a better secondary and I believe a superior passing game. This not to mention you're coming to SD where the crowd will be pumped. You barely beat us in 2007 with a busted up team. I give you guys a 30% chance at best. There's a reason why you're begging for the 4 seed.
Good grief.

Hahahahaha.....you're too cute, little Ray. SD crowd "pumped?" LMFAO!!!!! You mean the same San Diego that has to black out playoff games because so many of their "pumped" fans fill the stadium?
Er, that has never happened. Come on now.

Oh, I think that both San Diego and New England would prefer that the Bengals win the #3 seed, if it was looked at purely from a "best matchup scenario for the playoffs" angle. The difference is in the "why" aspect of it. For S.D., they'd get a less physical, and less talented, team in round 2 AND only have to face 1 of their 2 recent "fellow elites". For N.E., it's more a matter of the timing and location of the games.
Got it. Not sure, as a Charger fan, which way I'd like it. Go to Indy for the AFCCG or meet the Pats in SD. Both would be tough, I lean toward the Pats in SD being tougher. Whatever, not wishing for any matchup really. SD beat Pitt in the '94 AFCCG. I'll bet Steeler fans were pretty happy when the Chargers advanced that year. Ouch, that had to hurt. So I'll just sit back and watch what happens and be glad that my favorite team is in the tournament. We'll see what happens. Good luck and health to the Patriots.

Got it. Not sure, as a Charger fan, which way I'd like it. Go to Indy for the AFCCG or meet the Pats in SD. Both would be tough, I lean toward the Pats in SD being tougher. Whatever, not wishing for any matchup really. SD beat Pitt in the '94 AFCCG. I'll bet Steeler fans were pretty happy when the Chargers advanced that year. Ouch, that had to hurt. So I'll just sit back and watch what happens and be glad that my favorite team is in the tournament. We'll see what happens. Good luck and health to the Patriots.

I think Indy is overyhyped

I mean go Indianapolis Colts Schedule - NFL Football - ESPN there and look at their schedule. Where was a truly defining game? Sure you can say Manning was lights out in some of them but it's not like the Pats were a team to seriously fear this year. The Colts 2nd half comeback was more of a tribute to the Pats lack of 2nd half adjustments than the ability of Peyton Manning in my opinion

Of course you do. Your a Charger fan. You should think that your team is the better team.

That said. It's a little presumptive to come in here and try to convince us that NE is a sure win for you. You give us a 30% chance too....... Well, ain't that cute. Your percentage prediction is equal to what I just dropped into the toilet bowl dude. SQUAT......

Personally, I'd rather play Indy then SD in the playoffs, cuz I think SD is better, however......... I'm not particularly worried about SD either. SD sucks in the post-season. You've taken better teams in and lost. Much as you throw percentages around, noone can change your history of choking in the big spot.

Trust me, you'd rather play Cincy (another team that doesn't know how to win) in the postseason. The LAST team you want in SD should be NE. If that's not the case, you just don't know your history.
Really though the only choke job the Chargers have done in the playoffs lately was the '06 playoffs. You might remember it, the Patriots beat them. That, imo, was a huge choke job, not to take anything away from Brady and the Pats. In '07 the Chargers lost in the AFCCG to the Patriots' team playing in the midst of the season of the Century. Pats were favored and rightly so. Losing to the 17-0 Patriots was not a choke. In '08 the Chargers were big underdogs to the Steelers, can't really classify that as a choke. Just as we shouldn't put too much stock in the Patriots road recored this year, I wouldn't put too much stock in the "history" of the Chargers choking in the "big spot". I have to agree with you, can't imagine ANY team wantin to face the Bengals over the Patriots!

Your very first post was a troll post and you've not gotten better since. That would be fine if your posts possessed some level of intelligence, but that hasn't been the case. One of your fellow Chargers fans tried to settle you down, but you decided to continue playing the role of assclown.

As for what areas the Patriots are stronger than the Chargers.....

QB
RB
WR
OL
S
CB3
Head coach

Also, a healthy Mayo would be the best LB on the field, and Wilfork and Warren are vastly superior to any 2 Chargers D-linemen.
Agree with all but the RBs. I'd say they are about even there. I am a BIG Faulk fan. I still cringe when I think of that 3rd and 9 completion in the 4th Qtr of the AFCCG. Great throw by Brady, great route and catch by Faulk.

Edit: thought a little more on it. NE DOES have an edge at RB...

LT=Taylor
Sproles = Fualk
Maroney > Hester/ Tolbert

Agree with all but the RBs. I'd say they are about even there. I am a BIG Faulk fan. I still cringe when I think of that 3rd and 9 completion in the 4th Qtr of the AFCCG. Great throw by Brady, great route and catch by Faulk.

Edit: thought a little more on it. NE DOES have an edge at RB...

LT=Taylor
Sproles = Fualk
Maroney > Hester/ Tolbert

You're forgetting Sammy Morris

he's a beast and with all 3 of them in the rotation the Pats are going to be stacked at RB

I think Indy is overyhyped

I mean go Indianapolis Colts Schedule - NFL Football - ESPN there and look at their schedule. Where was a truly defining game? Sure you can say Manning was lights out in some of them but it's not like the Pats were a team to seriously fear this year. The Colts 2nd half comeback was more of a tribute to the Pats lack of 2nd half adjustments than the ability of Peyton Manning in my opinion
I am a PManning admirer. Dude has led too many comebacks and makes amazing throws. Plus he's pretty funny in his commercials. The problem with Indy is the Chargers would have to play in Indy. Tough place to play a good team, even if your team IS better. We'll see.

If the Patriots are good enough, whatever scenario is thrown up shouldn't matter.

You're forgetting Sammy Morris

he's a beast and with all 3 of them in the rotation the Pats are going to be stacked at RB
You're right, forgot Morris. Edge Patriots.

Your very first post was a troll post and you've not gotten better since. That would be fine if your posts possessed some level of intelligence, but that hasn't been the case. One of your fellow Chargers fans tried to settle you down, but you decided to continue playing the role of assclown.

As for what areas the Patriots are stronger than the Chargers.....

QB
RB
WR
OL
S
CB3
Head coach

Also, a healthy Mayo would be the best LB on the field, and Wilfork and Warren are vastly superior to any 2 Chargers D-linemen.
Funny, when you look at your post and comparisons (which I agree with) it looks like it should be a Patriot blow out. But I think it will be a close game if it happens.

I am a PManning admirer. Dude has led too many comebacks and makes amazing throws. Plus he's pretty funny in his commercials. The problem with Indy is the Chargers would have to play in Indy. Tough place to play a good team, even if your team IS better. We'll see.

Me too

I hate him like an good Pats fan but I won't attempt to discredit him. I think he was great in the Pats game but it wasn't like that game was the first time this season the Pats struggled in the second half. They just followed the trend they have been all season and he capitalized. The size of the comeback was due to Manning. The fact that a team came back to win on us isn't surprising

Funny, when you look at your post and comparisons (which I agree with) it looks like it should be a Patriot blow out. But I think it will be a close game if it happens.

Well, matching up like that is a nice exercise, but it's not how wins and losses are made. The matchups that matter are O v. D on each side, not O v. O and D v. D. San Diego gets much better looking when you match it up that way because, while Brady and the O are better than the S.D. defense, Rivers and the O are better than the N.E. defense, which is why San Diego will be, and should be, favored if the two teams meet in the playoffs.

This is the first time since his foot injury that Gates has really been able to dominate in the passing game, and that puts a huge strain on the Patriots defense, because it means that there will be less help in dealing with those tall receivers that Rivers gets to throw to.

The San Diego running game is struggling, but Sproles is a quick little waterbug that could give the Patriots trouble if New England is focused on the pass or just comes out in the wrong defense.

Rivers is a top 10 quarterback who should be able to remain upright if the Patriots don't blitz, so he'll be able to work on a Patriots secondary that's not as good as the numbers indicate (although Springs getting into the lineup should help the situation from a Patriots perspective).

New England could conceivably enter the playoffs without a victory against a winning team. The Chargers will have no more than 4 losses and would be playing at home. They've earned the right to be favored and should be expected to win, because the Patriots haven't earned that type of respect yet this season.

I want the number three seed for the simple fact that it could possibly lead to the AFCCG being played in Foxboro.

I really could care less if we play Colts or SD on the road in the divisionals.

After that, the chance for AFCCG at home, trumps all other scenarios about who and when to play any other team - IMHO.

Would be nice to let Ocho play his last game of the 2009 season and first game of the 2010 season in Foxboro now wouldn;t it.

One player will not change an execution into a victory. Sorry but you're overestimating Brady's abilities. I don't think we have your number I just believe we have a better overall football team.

Wow, this statement is unreal. So basically you're saying the Chargers could beat the Pats without Rivers ... wow.

Pat expects the Pats to lay off just about all thier starters this upcoming game and pretty much tank the Houston game because they really want the #4 and Cincy will do just the opposite and play all thier starters all game and try as hard as they can to gather up the #3 if NE does lose.

Makes sense...

Then Pat doesn't really understand the Patriots and BB. They don't believe in laying off. Didn't this travesty with the Chickens teach anybody anything?

I think SD in round two is a death sentence. Anyway we could avoid them, great. Plus anyway to see the Jets tank is ok with me also, they are not a playoff team......

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes