PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kiper: High Praise for Patriots 2010 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be fair here, it's half way through year 1 and the Jets are a very good football team. I wouldn't be willing to give up on Wilson or Ducasse just yet if i was a Jets fan. Just from my own opinion on those players when they were coming out, i like Wilson quite a bit and hated Ducasse.

What's awesome for the Pats is that the Jets essentially cut Woodhead to keep McKnight, even though Woodhead outplayed him in the pre-season....

Fixed that for you. :rocker:

The Jets were stacked two deep at most positions this year, so it would be harder for them to implement rookies early. They are red shirting guys which could be huge for them down the road.

The Jets were stacked two deep at most positions this year, so it would be harder for them to implement rookies early. They are red shirting guys which could be huge for them down the road.

Sorry, there's no red shirt in the professionals.

Look, I want to beat the Jets as much as the next guy, but don't make stuff up. The Jets have an extremely talented team, and that definitely lessens the need for them to draft for production now.
Probably better defensive talent than us everywhere except safety.

I know it's Kiper's prose, not yours, but "implement" rookies? Is that a new term of art? Personally I'd prefer "deploy" :D

Look, I want to beat the Jets as much as the next guy, but don't make stuff up. The Jets have an extremely talented team, and that definitely lessens the need for them to draft for production now.
Probably better defensive talent than us everywhere except safety.

Jets weak spots, which offered opportunities for rookies:

CB3
S
RB
TE2
WR (slot)
OL
DE
LOLB

Jets weak spots, which offered opportunities for rookies:

CB3
S
RB
TE2
WR (slot)
OL
DE
LOLB

our immediate needs before the draft
LCB
LOLB
ROLB
SILB
RDE
RB
TE1
TE2

Slot receivers and #2 tight ends are easier to pick up off the streets than 3-4 outside linebackers and ends. Our immediate needs are more, as well as more significant. Not giving them a pass for doing a bad job drafting, just when we had a deep team we did the same thing. Don't just flame on them because they're the jets.

our immediate needs before the draft
LCB
LOLB
ROLB
SILB
RDE
RB
TE1
TE2

Slot receivers and #2 tight ends are easier to pick up off the streets than 3-4 outside linebackers and ends. Our immediate needs are more, as well as more significant. Not giving them a pass for doing a bad job drafting, just when we had a deep team we did the same thing. Don't just flame on them because they're the jets.

First, I didn't flame the Jets.

Second, we had a poster who wrote:

So let's not pretend that this is a bunch of people just teeing off on the Jets.

Third:

Mark Sanchez
Shonn Greene
Matt Slauson
Vernon Gholston
Dustin Keller
Dwight Lowery
Eric Ainge
Marcus Henry
Nate Garner
Kyle Wilson
Vlad Ducasse
Joe McKnight
John Conner

Other than Keller, there's not a single player there that's demonstrating himself as having been a good pick so far, and there's an enormous bust in Gholston. Bagging on the Jets recent drafts is just telling it like it seems, to date.

First, I didn't flame the Jets.

Second, we had a poster who wrote:

So let's not pretend that this is a bunch of people just teeing off on the Jets.

Third:

Mark Sanchez
Shonn Greene
Matt Slauson
Vernon Gholston
Dustin Keller
Dwight Lowery
Eric Ainge
Marcus Henry
Nate Garner
Kyle Wilson
Vlad Ducasse
Joe McKnight
John Conner

Other than Keller, there's not a single player there that's demonstrating himself as having been a good pick so far, and there's an enormous bust in Gholston. Bagging on the Jets recent drafts is just telling it like it seems, to date.

Yeah, I wasn't saying the Jets have drafted badly, I was just trying to object to criticizing their strategy

Yeah, I wasn't saying the Jets have drafted badly, I was just trying to object to criticizing their strategy

They've gone "all in" with veterans and head cases, while putting the keys to the franchise in the hands of Mark Sanchez. Why would you expect such a questionable strategy to go uncriticized?

Last edited:
The Jets have picked some very solid players. However, you have to be careful about comparing them straight up. For one thing, the Patriots go for quantity of picks while the Jets have opted to try for quality.

For another, the Jets routinely have a higher draft slot because they've had some inconsistent years. As an example, since 2006, the Pats have only had one top-16 pick, and that was only thanks to a great trade. The Jets have had 4, including 3 in the top-6. They hit on 2 of those picks (Brick, Revis), whiffed on Gholston, and the jury is out on Sanchez. With higher-quality picks, the Jets SHOULD hit on those guys.

I think the Pats did an awful job between 2006 and 2007, but it's difficult to argue that the Jets have done a better job from 2008 onwards, especially the last two drafts where the Jets drafted 7 players while the Pats drafted 8 starters, plus another 8 solid contributors and 3 developmental guys still with the team.

I hate it when people bag on the 07 draft. Some people fail to realize that Welker was traded for a 2nd round pick and Randy Moss a 4th? We also aquired Stallworth in the offseason. Although we didnt draft well overall that year you can still say they made good with their drarft picks.

They've gone "all in" with veterans and head cases, while putting the keys to the franchise in the hands of Mark Sanchez. Why would you expect such a questionable strategy to go uncriticized?

This argument isn't really worth turning into a big deal. I just figure if they have a few specific holes to fill, rather than a lot of them, they can afford to trade up for a few players they covet rather than pick more players. They have a lot of talent right now. Not saying thats the way I'd do things.

And of course the Jets are going all in. What do you expect from a team that hasn't been to a championship for 40 years? They are desperate. For now it looks like they've rolled the dice and lost on Sanchez. We'll see.

Last edited:
Sorry, there's no red shirt in the professionals.

Yes there are red shirts in the professionals. It's called practice squad (and sometimes special teams). James Harrison of the Steelers was on and off their practice squad for 2 years before becoming NFL Defensive Player of Year.

I hate it when people bag on the 07 draft. Some people fail to realize that Welker was traded for a 2nd round pick and Randy Moss a 4th? We also aquired Stallworth in the offseason. Although we didnt draft well overall that year you can still say they made good with their drarft picks.

Agreed!!! Obviously Meriweather wasn't the greatest pick ever (but not the worst), besides him, our next pick was at end of fourth round (so couldn't expect too much) and we got Welker and Moss!!!

2008 was rough after Mayo. The commish stole our other first rounder and then we got Wheatley, O'Connell and Crable in the 2-3 rounds....

On a side note, do you think we would have been better off getting OT Clady (12th pick), who went two picks after Mayo (10th pick)?

Last edited:
Way too early to defintively look at anyone's 2010 draft.

Just consider that if we were rating the Pats 2009 draft on Labor Day most would have called Ingram, Butler, and Edelman successes and said nothing good about Brace except express hope that maybe he can be a player. A little over 2 months later, all 4 of those guys are percieved differently and with the exception of Ingram it is still too early to pass final judgement.

it really looks for the moment a positive 2010 draft: well done

let's hope in a good one too next april now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back