PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just when you thought the Jets' couldn't get more entertaining!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanSince74

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just when it looked like Woody J0hnson had come to his senses and put in an orderly process for selecting a new "GM and HC of the NYJ," the New York tabloids this morning are all over the story that Johnson is going after Doug Marrone and had something to do with Marrone's unexpected resignation in Buffalo.

This is good news for Pats fans for two reasons:
1) As Lupica and Mehta point out, Marrone's track record is reminiscent of Rich Kotite's.
2) If Johnson hires a new coach first, no self-respecting GM candidate will come to a team that has foisted on him a coach he didn't hire.

What fun! All the more evidence that Woody Johnson indeed isn't sure, in the famous words of Bill Parcells, whether the pigskin is inflated or stuffed with feathers!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...s-pushing-doug-marrone-jets-article-1.2062892

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...otite-mind-thinking-marrone-article-1.2063420

I thought Marrone was the 2nd best coach in the AFC East. He's a good football coach, i don't understand why you think his track record is reminiscent of Kotite. He had success with the Saints as the OC, then did a good job in Syracuse with a program that was declining and in 2 years he led the Bills to a winning record despite a GM who he fought with and an average QB

I thought Marrone was the 2nd best coach in the AFC East. He's a good football coach, i don't understand why you think his track record is reminiscent of Kotite. He had success with the Saints as the OC, then did a good job in Syracuse with a program that was declining and in 2 years he led the Bills to a winning record despite a GM who he fought with and an average QB

from all my friends in Bills territory, Marrone wasn't even the best coach on his own team, schwartz apparently carried the team via the defense, and marrone was really just a lame duck all year.

OK. First of all, "2nd best coach" in the AFCE means that he was better than Rex Ryan and Joe Philbin, which pretty much fits the definition of "damning with faint praise" IMHO.

Marrone's record at Syracuse was 25--25 and you can spin his 9--7 finish this year after last season's 6--10 anyway you want, but the comparison with Kotite stands. Lupica's point is that Marrone is a local guy and the Jets went for another "local guy" in Kotite's case and his record at the Eagles had actually been respectable on paper (36--28). The point of the comparison is that the Jets are going after someone who has not really proven himself as a successful NFL coach to hire someone with a connection to the New York area, when they went down that road before with a coach who was actually better on paper but proved to be a disaster in New Jersey.

OK. First of all, "2nd best coach" in the AFCE means that he was better than Rex Ryan and Joe Philbin, which pretty much fits the definition of "damning with faint praise" IMHO.

Marrone's record at Syracuse was 25--25 and you can spin his 9--7 finish this year after last season's 6--10 anyway you want, but the comparison with Kotite stands. Lupica's point is that Marrone is a local guy and the Jets went for another "local guy" in Kotite's case and his record at the Eagles had actually been respectable on paper (36--28). The point of the comparison is that the Jets are going after someone who has not really proven himself as a successful NFL coach to hire someone with a connection to the New York area, when they went down that road before with a coach who was actually better on paper but proved to be a disaster in New Jersey.

But lets be realistic here. Marrones success or failure as HC NYJ will be completely unaffected by the fact that Rich Kotite was once HC of NYJ or any of these entirely insignificant connections.

Whether he is a good coach or a bad coach has nothing to do with Kotite or where either man grew up.

Just when it looked like Woody J0hnson had come to his senses and put in an orderly process for selecting a new "GM and HC of the NYJ," the New York tabloids this morning are all over the story that Johnson is going after Doug Marrone and had something to do with Marrone's unexpected resignation in Buffalo.

1) As Lupica and Mehta point out, Marrone's track record is reminiscent of Rich Kotite's.
2) If Johnson hires a new coach first, no self-respecting GM candidate will come to a team that has foisted on him a coach he didn't hire.

What fun! All the more evidence that Woody Johnson indeed isn't sure, in the famous words of Bill Parcells, whether the pigskin is inflated or stuffed with feathers!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...s-pushing-doug-marrone-jets-article-1.2062892

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...otite-mind-thinking-marrone-article-1.2063420
Woody will read those two articles and not hire Maroon now. d%#*!@t. :mad:

Woody Johnson tampering? Impossible! He reeks of professionalism.:rolleyes:

I guess being the CEO of Johnson&Johnson he has plenty of access to products that cover up his stink. Is that where your going? If so, that's actually pretty funny! Touche!:D

What is "FYPFY"? Educate me. I'm lost with that acronym. Maybe I'm old.

Fixed Your Post For You. :)

• clear.png
    Disagree x 1
OK . . . I don't know why you're disagreeing with me, since that's what I meant, but oh well. . . .

In my opinion, the Jets job isn't going to be the most "desired" coaching position available.

1) You have to deal with BB/Brady
2) Woody Johnson's track record isn't going to help
3) Media creates lots of opportunity for excessive drama (and this affects players)
4) Great talent for both lines (which is a good place to build from), but the rest are atrocious.
5) History is against you (though maybe they can get the Patron saint of lost causes to sign on)

• clear.png
    Disagree x 1
OK . . . I don't know why you're disagreeing with me, since that's what I meant, but oh well. . . .

The poster that did that is probably on his smart phone. When you're scrolling, that can sometimes happen by accident. I evened things out with a swift and decisive "agree".

Last edited:

I've never considered the Rats entertaining. They are just vile and a blight on humanity.

But lets be realistic here. Marrones success or failure as HC NYJ will be completely unaffected by the fact that Rich Kotite was once HC of NYJ or any of these entirely insignificant connections.

Whether he is a good coach or a bad coach has nothing to do with Kotite or where either man grew up.
Agree re the comparison with Kotite, but the local connection could be more important in the decision process than you are allowing.

The Jets have lost a lot of credibility in NYC (where I happen to live). It doesn't help that they play their games in a difficult to access and relatively unattractive part of New Jersey. So, trying to re-affirm the team's connection to the Five Boroughs is an angle that could come into play in the hiring decision, as specious as we both probably agree it might be.

Let's try a scientific test: Disagree/dislike this post and every post I make from now on and I will report in monthly with the physical and mental effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back