PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just call him A-Roid

Re: OT- Just call him A-Roid

Here's the full story from SI. So much for confidentiality - they're saying that four sources confirmed this - but I guess that's part of what happens when you're such a prima donna that you have others fetch your coffee for you.

a-rod.jpg

"http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/Image/a-rod.jpg"

Beautiful, thanks for posting that.

After that kick in the nuts loss in the 2003 ALCS, I was further annoyed when the Yankees pulled off the A-Rod deal.

Little did I know then that getting him was the lightening rod, specifically THAT game, that propelled the Red Sox to the World Series.

The Yankees are never going to win a world series with this guy on their team.

Ever.

212ed8y.jpg

Told you.

:rofl: @ everyone who said the HR record now had a chance of being broke "the right way".

Baseball, a game all about stats and records will now have steroid users at #1 and #2 for the greatest record in the game, the home run record.

A-roid.....................

212ed8y.jpg

Told you.

:rofl: @ everyone who said the HR record now had a chance of being broke "the right way".

Baseball, a game all about stats and records will now have steroid users at #1 and #2 for the greatest record in the game, the home run record.

I don' t really worry about it too much. The true home run king was removed from the book by Aaron anyway.

I'm not even suprised quite honestly.

Duh. And you Ortiz ball washers need to face the facts that Papi was also on the juice from 2004-2006. Look at his stats.

I think we as sports fans, need to get the facts about leagues rules straight before we go running around pointing fingers. I remember during the spygate debacle, I lost count of how many fans, AND paid so-called experts were attacking the Pats as cheaters for stealing signals. Meanwhile, stealing signals isnt against the rules, it's filming them that's against the rules (though every team does it, or did it I'm sure).

Same thing goes for steroids in baseball. When exactly did steroids become a violation in baseball ? If it became a violation starting in 2004 or 2005, then doing steroids prior to that asn't against league rules. I know it sucks, but baseball players have been trying to get an edge for over 100 years, whether it's corking bats, scuffing baseballs, spitballs, etc. Here's a blurb I found:

Nov. 13, 2003: MLB announced that 5-to-7 percent of 1,438 tests were positive during the 2003 season, well above the threshold, setting in motion mandatory testing for performance-enhancing drugs with punishments for the first time in Major League history. The first positive test put a player on a medical track that includes treatment and further testing. Otherwise, there's no punitive for a first positive test.

If you notice, this was AFTER the 2003 season ended. Meaning 5-7 % of MLB players were on steroids during the 2003 season, That's 72 players if you go with 5%, and 101 if 7%. Also, punishments for performance enhancing drugs STARTED in 2004.

So yes, it sucks, watching Barry Bonds during the 2001 season break the season home run record was amazing (I was living in San Francisco during that time), it's quite distressing knowing he was juiced up. Same with Mcgwire and Sosa in 1998. But we need to understand, steroids were not punishable by the MLB until 2004.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duh. And you Ortiz ball washers need to face the facts that Papi was also on the juice from 2004-2006. Look at his stats.

Your assumptions =/= facts.

Whatever.....All I know is that it is possible that everyone is a suspect because of all the allegations. I will say this about Ortiz though. Yes his numbers are down but I saw him and his dad standing side by side during an all-star game and they were both enormous men. Ortiz is large because of genetics. Whether or not he took steroids we may never know.

The most amusing part of all of this is the witch hunt conducted over Bonds, Clemens, etc, etc.

News flash as has already been pointed out; players are always trying to get an edge, they get paid based on their performance, they are professional athletes, not nitwits trying to look big on the beach or in a nightclub to get laid.

Have to love the assclown writers who blackballed Mcguire (sp?) to keep him out of the HOF; will they now do the same to A-rod? If they don't they're hypocrites who have zero credibility.

The Fenway faithful are going to have a field day with this..........

Still don't understand how sport fans in the US can still actually believe there are clean athletes. In '88 Ben Johnson beat out other 'roiders (or HGH in Carl Lewis' case) and we all were forever changed.

I've known since the eighth grade that all the pros are on 'roids. To further illustrate : when the Mitchell report came out, my childhood heroes weren't named. But you know what, Expos utility men and middle relievers were on the list. If the skinny FP Santangelo with his 2 or 3 homers per year was on there... come on.

Football is no doubt WAAAY worst. If high schoolers are using to beat their rivals and then going nowhere to play thereafter - how can we be so naive into thinking the pros are clean ?

My point, which no one seems to want to deal with, is look at the disparity in the man's stats for a 3-4 year period. That should tell you something.
David Ortiz Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
Look at Babe Ruth's numbers( all done on beer, hot dogs, and hookers):
Babe Ruth Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
Notice a difference? I'm not hating on Papi, I love the guy, however, he was on the juice. So let's just be honest.

And in case, peeps don't like my example, after all The Babe was probably the greatest to ever play, let's compare some another big palooka, such as
Albert Pujols:
Albert Pujols Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com

My point, which no one seems to want to deal with, is look at the disparity in the man's stats for a 3-4 year period. That should tell you something.
David Ortiz Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
Look at Babe Ruth's numbers( all done on beer, hot dogs, and hookers):
Babe Ruth Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
Notice a difference? I'm not hating on Papi, I love the guy, however, he was on the juice. So let's just be honest.
Actually, I addressed that in another thread when you talked about Ortiz and steroids and you didn't respond. Let me try again.

His numbers in 2003 are nearly identical to his numbers in 2004, just in 22 fewer games (144OPS+ in 2003, 145OPS+ in 2004). In 2007 he saw a career high in OPS+, and the second highest SLG% of his career. In fact, Ortiz had more extra base hits in 2007 than he did in 2006, finishing second in baseball in that category. So if he was juicing from 2004-2006, he was probably juicing in 2003 and 2007 too. As far as last season, he got off to a slow start in April, but in the month leading up to his injury he was hitting .318/.409/.617. The rest of the season he was recovering from a wrist injury, which isn't a scenario conducive to power hitting.

In other words, since 2003 the only time his SLG was not around .600 was in a season where he was recovering from a wrist injury.

One of the major reasons why Ortiz never flourished in Minnesota was because he was told to drive the ball as opposed to being a dead pull hitter. Smart idea in the long run, but something that prevented him from developing his natural power at a younger age. Plus, he had several wrist injuries when he was playing there, including a hamate bone injury which can sap the power of anyone. In 2003 he was finally able to get constant playing time, something that he was never able to get in Minnesota.

Did A-Rod have his testes rubbed before games in 2003? :confused2:

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back