PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Norman is now a free agent - Panthers removed franchise tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, dumb move on the Panthers. lock-down corners are nearly impossible to find.

Dude is almost 29 and just coming off of his rookie contract. I understand his demands cause this is his one chance to cash in.

I ain't mad at him. Get your money, Josh

Norman's no Revis. He's an excellent zone corner who can't jam at the line of scrimmage, which is a necessity for the Patriots. That said, when he misses his jam, he's got such fluid hips and legs that he recovers gracefully. He's good; he's not Revis good, but Revis is one of the best corners to ever play. But the Patriots can't afford him.

Although I seriously doubt the Pats will go after Norman, I think people are overrating the fact that he is coming from a zone system. He still played a lot of press man style coverage in the zone.

The Panthers play a Cover 3 system. That means that he would play press coverage on the line and would be responsible playing man coverage for any vertical route. Sure any inside route, he might hand off the receiver, but in the Panthers' system, Norman had a lot of man responsibilities.

I think he will be far too expensive for the Pats, but I think he could move into a man defense rather easily.

Norman is an especially difficult case with his showboating. The guy was already a distraction on a winner. If he signs with the Rams, who will have some struggles, I could see his antics becoming destructive within the locker room when he faces a little adversity. The Seahawks, Broncos, Patriots, Chiefs, or Steelers would be an ideal landing spot for him to stay focused because he's on a winner. I'm not saying the Pats would take him, anyway, with his price and attitude. But for Norman, if he gets himself at all, he needs to choose a winner on else risks becoming a liability.

If it wasn't for his price, i'm sure BB would be all over him.

They could pull a Revis move with him. Offer him 12 for one year with 25 guaranteed in year two to prevent a tag , then he can go get his big deal. However I'm guessing one of the teams with blow it money, like the Jags or Raiders will offer him much much more. The Raiders still need serious help at corner so I would put them out in front as far as betting on who gets him.

Wow, dumb move on the Panthers. lock-down corners are nearly impossible to find.

Strange it took them this long to figure out what he wanted, they are a SB contender and could have used that 14 million in tag money to address the position with someone they could sign.

I admire the Panthers for the Boldness of this Move, but I have to wonder if they did their Due Diligence.

If I'm running the Panthers, I put The Tag on'm as they did, yes...But then I put the word out to every other Team that I'm Open For Business, and will happily trade'm to The Highest Bidder.

If I can get a 3rd Rounder for'm...a 2016 3rd Rounder beats a 2017 3rd Rounder.

If I can get more ~ maybe much more for arguably the best Corner in the Game, maybe a 2016 1st Rounder?? Maybe more??? ~ then I'll take that, please and thank you!! :D

I actually mocked Joshua Norman to us back in 2012, thank you!! :D

But The Infernal Salary Cap is a Bastard...And if I could get out from under Joshua Norma's prospective Contract ~ while allowing me to sign guys who play closer to The Line ~ while maybe racking up a 1st Rounder, a 3rd Rounder, and some Change...I'd pounce on that Opportunity!!

View attachment 12719

I think I would faint if BB could convince Norman to take a 1 year deal here and then he could regroup to make $$$ in 2017 FA.

I'd cut Dola/Cannon/restructure whoever to have 1 year of the best CB duo the league has seen.
I just don't see how that is possible. He basically played as well as he could last year, and made it to the super bowl. That's hitting gold before FA. What more could he get from a year with the Pats? Sure, we are late in the FA period. But there are still teams with a lot of cash and need for a corner.

Why would he have to "boost his stock for next year" by taking a one year, prove it deal? His stock is currently at the highest point it will ever be at. He just refused to sign the franchise tag at 14m dollars, and all signs point to him making much more than that this year on a longer term deal.

I also respectfully disagree that the time is somehow too late for anyone to pay him big money. There are plenty of team who are well under the cap. Some have 30-40-50 million dollars in available cap space. There are reportedly at least 25% of the NFL teams interested right off the bat.
I think many here overrate how much playing on the Pats boost someones stock. Playing very good, especially on a very team boosts your stock. And there are more very good teams than just the Pats.

I think many here overrate how much playing on the Pats boost someones stock. Playing very good, especially on a very team boosts your stock. And there are more very good teams than just the Pats.

Name just one team thats won more Super Bowls and/or won more games than the Patriots in the last 15 years :)

We aren't just very good, we're the best. I get your point though, I'm not sure how much attraction lies in the difference but I'm guessing there's something to it.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be a hoot if we found out that the reason the Panthers were willing to let him go was because they had a replacement for him named Ras-I Dowling? That would be wicked pissah.

What do you mean: Ras I Dowling is coming back to the Pats, and he's gonna save us!

Didn't you hear? Ras-I is Norman's replacement. :)

The only possible constructive reason that I can see the Panthers doing this would be to clear enough cap space to swing a deal with Detroit for Calvin Johnson.

It's hilarious that the Dolphins are supposedly interested. There's a good possibility they will field a team of All pro's in coming seasons, I just don't see how they will be able to play with 5 guys on defense and 6 on offense and no bench.

Hes a raven Giant Dolphin book it

The Giants just signed Janoris Jenkins to a $12.5m/year contract. I'd be shocked to see them commit nearly $30m per year to just two CBs. Especially with a massive contract due for Beckham in 2 years. Plus Olivier Vernon's $17m/year average cap hit.

I admire the Panthers for the Boldness of this Move, but I have to wonder if they did their Due Diligence.

If I'm running the Panthers, I put The Tag on'm as they did, yes...But then I put the word out to every other Team that I'm Open For Business, and will happily trade'm to The Highest Bidder.

If I can get a 3rd Rounder for'm...a 2016 3rd Rounder beats a 2017 3rd Rounder.

If I can get more ~ maybe much more for arguably the best Corner in the Game, maybe a 2016 1st Rounder?? Maybe more??? ~ then I'll take that, please and thank you!! :D

I actually mocked Joshua Norman to us back in 2012, thank you!! :D

But The Infernal Salary Cap is a Bastard...And if I could get out from under Joshua Norma's prospective Contract ~ while allowing me to sign guys who play closer to The Line ~ while maybe racking up a 1st Rounder, a 3rd Rounder, and some Change...I'd pounce on that Opportunity!!

Will we be seeing your mock this year?

Why would he have to "boost his stock for next year" by taking a one year, prove it deal? His stock is currently at the highest point it will ever be at. He just refused to sign the franchise tag at 14m dollars, and all signs point to him making much more than that this year on a longer term deal.

I also respectfully disagree that the time is somehow too late for anyone to pay him big money. There are plenty of team who are well under the cap. Some have 30-40-50 million dollars in available cap space. There are reportedly at least 25% of the NFL teams interested right off the bat.

It's much more of a case of where Patsfans.com posters don't think through their posts, and we see it all the time during the FA period. Not every free agent needs to sign a one year "prove it" deal, and some players from other teams go to New England and fail.

Norman will turn 29 in December. He'd be a fool to take a low money, one year, deal in N.E. if he can get paid elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST