PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Norman is now a free agent - Panthers removed franchise tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd really love to see Norman play for the Giants. Please make it happen.:D

Good move by Carolina. The number of potential suitors is pretty small at this point so he won't command nearly as much as he would have in March.

If Norman is smart he'll do something similar to the Revis deal - one year with a contender then cash in the following year.

Good move by Carolina. The number of potential suitors is pretty small at this point so he won't command nearly as much as he would have in March.

If Norman is smart he'll do something similar to the Revis deal - one year with a contender then cash in the following year.

ally_mcbeal_facepalm-500x300.gif

Didn't you hear? Ras-I is Norman's replacement. :)
I cannot believe Rasi is still in the league. Was flabbergasted when I checked his Wikipedia page.

They could pull a Revis move with him. Offer him 12 for one year with 25 guaranteed in year two to prevent a tag , then he can go get his big deal. However I'm guessing one of the teams with blow it money, like the Jags or Raiders will offer him much much more. The Raiders still need serious help at corner so I would put them out in front as far as betting on who gets him.

They signed CB Sean Smith, but your point still stands.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent Josh Norman is discussing five-year deals with the Redskins and 49ers, and is expected to get $14-$15 million per season.

Really hope not the dolphins
Didnt know the skins had cap

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent Josh Norman is discussing five-year deals with the Redskins and 49ers, and is expected to get $14-$15 million per season.

But.... but.... prove it year!

Butler will be a rich man
We'll see, I get the feeling that he might not be the kind of guy that needs a ridiculous contract. Buuut also might be wishful thinking on my part.

I admire the Panthers for the Boldness of this Move, but I have to wonder if they did their Due Diligence.

If I'm running the Panthers, I put The Tag on'm as they did, yes...But then I put the word out to every other Team that I'm Open For Business, and will happily trade'm to The Highest Bidder.

If I can get a 3rd Rounder for'm...a 2016 3rd Rounder beats a 2017 3rd Rounder.

If I can get more ~ maybe much more for arguably the best Corner in the Game, maybe a 2016 1st Rounder?? Maybe more??? ~ then I'll take that, please and thank you!! :D

I actually mocked Joshua Norman to us back in 2012, thank you!! :D

But The Infernal Salary Cap is a Bastard...And if I could get out from under Joshua Norma's prospective Contract ~ while allowing me to sign guys who play closer to The Line ~ while maybe racking up a 1st Rounder, a 3rd Rounder, and some Change...I'd pounce on that Opportunity!!
Doesn't he have to sign the tag to trade him? He said he wouldn't sign, he boxed Carolina in and would rather put that money to use elsewhere for someone who wants to play this year.

We'll see, I get the feeling that he might not be the kind of guy that needs a ridiculous contract. Buuut also might be wishful thinking on my part.
Probably wishful thinking but just as I don't think anyone could fault Malcolm for hitting free agency and demanding top-tier money, it also wouldn't be completely ridiculous of him to take a potentially 'below market' deal starting this year (thinking $8-10m AAV over 3/4 years) if a decent chunk of it was guaranteed, given that he only has 1 full year plus some backup time as a rookie, he hasn't made much of anything in the way of real NFL money yet, it would be a reasonable hedge on his part against injury this season, and he would still exit that contract at an age where he could get another big contract if he played well throughout.

Of course that's assuming such a thing has been discussed and/or could realistically be offered. Personally I've said that I, like most of us, see nothing but an upward trajectory for the guy but I also understand if NE wants to see it for another year before paying him. I'm just saying it might make sense for both sides to do a slightly more modest deal now if the will is there - MB might be leaving some money on the table but he could be rich beyond words a year earlier and still maintain some long-term earning power in an environment where he is a mostly known quantity to the team and knows he can showcase his ability.

Butler will be a rich man

Yes, in 2018, If he wants to wait that long. If he wants security at a team friendly price he can get it sooner than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe