PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets Show Interest In Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jets Show Interest In Samuels

I dont see this ever materializing to much. 1) the Pest would never let him go to the Jets in a trade 2) The only way I could see they would let him go to the Jets would be for a steep price of 2 1st round picks 3) I just think this is a well calculated plan by Tangini and crew to cause heartache in Pest land and to try and raise the value of his contract 4) Dyson is a good corner still young and with the trade up for Revis this doesnt make much sense unless if you can get him w/o parting with much compensation.

Whatever your boy Tubby Man-vagina has in mind isn't going to win the division for him and the Jest either way, so he's free to waste time meddling with the New England Patriots if he wants. Just another exercise in futility for a stalled franchise.

I don't really care, give him to the Jets...as soon as he gets his fat signing bonus he's going to suck anyways.

Send us back a first rounder AND Johnathan Vilma Mangini!

All this Samuel garbage is the last effort of a desperate man.......come July 15th Samuel will wait until 30 minutes before the deadline and sign the tender...you just wait and see

If this is true, guess it will take EM's & BB's "friendship" to another level . . .

Can't wait for the handshake at the end of the first game . . .
progress.gif

(QUOTE):
POSTED 7:46 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 8:08 a.m. EDT, June 6, 2007

JETS SNIFFING AROUND SAMUEL?

Albert Breer of the MetroWest Daily News reports that the New York Jets could be plotting a late-offseason run at Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel.

Samuel, a free agent whose movement is limited by the franchise tag, is free to talk to any other team, and he also can sign an offer sheet with any other team. But if the Pats opt not to match the offer sheet, New England would be entitled to two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Breer also reports that the Pats plan to hold firm to their rights in this regard, and won't accept a trade offer for something less than two first-round picks.

Several teams reportedly have expressed an interest in matching Samuel's asking price, which is in the range of Nate Clements' eight-year, $80 million deal. In reality, however, the Clements contract is a seven-year, $64 million contract, due to a phony final season.

But if the Jets are truly interested in Samuel, why have they waited so long to get serious about it? They moved up to get cornerback Darrelle Revis in the draft, which would seem to reduce any pre-draft interest that they might have had in Samuel.

Our take? On the heels of Samuel's recent proclamation that he plans to sit out the first ten games of the 2007 regular season, the Jets are looking to push even deeper the wedge that currently exists between the Pats and their franchise player, in the hopes that he'll follow through on his threat. If the Jets bring him in for a visit under the guise of talking about a possible offer sheet now, nothing will prevent the Jets from saying whatever they need to say in order to persuade Samuel to report to the Patriots on the last possible date in 2007, with a wink-nod understanding that the Jets will make a move for him in 2008. <snip>

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Last edited:

That team is not built around Chad Pennington. I have a good feeling if Chad ever went down they would actually do better. Seriously.

I wouldnt trade Samuel to the Jets for 1 first rounder, i would demand the 2nd 1st rounder as well. Other teams i'd be willing to take a first but not for in house rivals.

Do you mean this year's team?

If so then that would depend on Clemens development. Its possible he could take over and play well.

The only reason I ask is because history doesn't support that. The Jets have had winning seasons, playoff seasons in fact - when Pennington plays at least 13 games (2002,2004,2006). In 2003 he missed the first 6 games and the Jets finished 6-10 (4-6 under Chad) in 2005 he played in 3 games and the team was 4-12 (1-1 in games he finished).

Whatever your boy Tubby Man-vagina has in mind isn't going to win the division for him and the Jest either way, so he's free to waste time meddling with the New England Patriots if he wants. Just another exercise in futility for a stalled franchise.

Its long term. One year ago the Jets had no future, few good young players and were going no where fast. Now they are building towards something big. I say we need 2 more solid offseason + draft and I think we are legit SB contenders. For now I think we are playoff contenders

Mangini can do what he wants but what goes around comes around. And we all know BB has no problem playing these games and getting revenge.

Edit: The Jets have a lot of contracts expiring in 2008

Last edited:
I wouldn't let him go to the Jets under any circumstance.

If they want to give up 2 first rounders, there's nothing we can do about it, and that would be plenty. Although I guess we could match the offer sheet. Do these work like any other FA -- that is, even if the Jets were willing to give up two number 1s, would they use a poison pill?

Has any team ever inked a franchise player and paid 2 first rounds as compensation? I can think of lots of franchised players who are more impact guys than Asante Samuel.

But short of two first rounders, I wouldn't do it. I would for other teams, but not the Jets. I know that there are plenty of other trades that make sense for us and give us more value, but I think the impact of sending him to the Jets, after all the stuff that's gone on from Law to Branch, could be morale deflating for the team. While I think the team's moves have all been justified and indeed warranted, the Jets just doesn't make sense from a morale perspective, even for like a first and a fourth or something.

Anyway, I think this is all a bit of noise and posturing. I fully expect Samuel to be signed by the Pats to a long-term deal some time around the second week of July. I know that most don't see that, but that's what I think will happen. When push comes to shove, the two sides will find a number that makes each side a little miserable. Otherwise, he will sign the tender. Just don't see it playing out any other way.

I think this means that we should trade him. It's not a good look for him to end up with the Jets, even if that's after this year that he winds up there.

The bottom line is that he's not going to be a Patriot after 2007 no matter how you look at it. But, it should be acknowledged that this will leave a major hole in the team. He was a big part of our success last year.

I dont want this to last on till the week before the reg season... I say fish or cut bait by jul 15, but I think the pats should start thinking that Samual is not going to be a full time member of the 2007 Pats..

Last edited:

Mangini can do what he wants but what goes around comes around. And we all know BB has no problem playing these games and getting revenge.

Edit: The Jets have a lot of contracts expiring in 2008

I dont really know the names for 08. Tannenbaum has managed the cap so great that Rhodes will get locked up by next season so he wont even sniff being a RFA. depending on Vilma's play this year we will see what his status will be. After that we have our guys signed who should be our core

Last edited:

Sure they would, if the offer was right. When they traded Bledsoe to Buffalo, it showed they weren't exactly afraid of trading within the division...

When the Pats traded Bledsoe to the Bills, we were not afraid of trading within the division because we knew Drew would cough-up the ball enough to prevent the Bills from becoming a serious factor. It seems very unlikely Samuel will be dealt to the Jets as he could inflict enough damage next year to offset most of our 2006-7 off-season free agent additions.

Remember the riddle how do you defend Welker, Moss and Stallworth? Mangini cracked it, with Samuel, Dyson, and Revis lol

Last edited:

I dont really know the names for 08. Tannenbaum has managed the cap so great that Rhodes will get locked up by next season so he wont even sniff being a RFA. depending on Vilma's play this year we will see what his status will be. After that we have our guys signed who should be our core

here is the link I based that comment off.

http://www.wissearch.net/Jets/Default.aspx

I'm not sure what the cap situation was when they took over, but they seem to have a lot of contracts expiring over the next two years.

Sorry to bust your balloon, but most of us here aren't all that worried about the Jets. They're a nice little team and are no longer jokes, but I'd say they are in the competent-to-good 8-10 win range.

The Pats, meanwhile, along with all the superfluous junk the national media is predicting about a 19-0 season (yeah, I don't buy that either, but let's just say, things look real good) have two first rounders already in the bin for next year. No matter how much you crow that you have your "core" players signed long-term, no one in the NFL has both the DL and OL uniformly signed long-term like the New England Patriots. Tangini are good, but they nowhere near the level of Belioli.

Fundamentally, we're not looking over our shoulders at anyone right now

See, I don't look at it like this at all. I figure the Belichick and Mangini are
still great friends and EM is doing Bill a favor by feigning interest in Samuel
this driving up the interest amongst the other NFL teams. Look what he did
for us with Branch! What a guy the Manigini is. :D

If

Can't wait for the handshake at the end of the first game . . .
progress.gif

You think it'll be a handshake? I'm thinking we'll need UN troops in blue hats out there for that one.

I don't think the Jets would use a poison pill because that would ensure they give up 2 first-round picks for him, which they don't want to do.

Just becasue Belichick traded Bledsoe to the Bills doesn't mean he is down with trading to the Jets though.

I think the Jets are laying the groundwork for a deal next year if he signs the tender moreso than trying to grab him for this year, because the price would be too steep.

When the Pats traded Bledsoe to the Bills, we were not afraid of trading within the division because we knew Drew would cough-up the ball enough to prevent the Bills from becoming a serious factor. It seems very unlikely Samuel will be dealt to the Jets as he could inflict enough damage next year to offset most of our 2006-7 off-season free agent additions.
Well, FWIW, I don't think the Pats are going to trade Asante anywhere. They will either take 2 #1's or nothing at all. But, having said that, I don't see Coach Bill afraid to trade any player to any team, in or out of the division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes