PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets get Thomas Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jets fleeced them! All the Bears did was move up in the 2nd round? I don't get it!

bears are such stupid mofos.

you swap 2nd rounders? ..people were offering 3rd rounder for him

and to move from 63 to 37 would have cost them... about a third rounder.

I like the move for the Jets, but if all the Bears were getting offered were 3rd rounders then this trade is just as good.

Jets basically gave up nothing for Jones. Swaping picks in the 2nd round? Bears got screwed, Jets got a great deal.

bears are such stupid mofos.

you swap 2nd rounders? ..people were offering 3rd rounder for him

The Jets fleeced them! All the Bears did was move up in the 2nd round? I don't get it!

Here's the deal:

Jets gave up pick #37, worth 530 pts on the value chart.
Bears gave up pick #63, worth 276 pts on the value chart.

Difference = 254 points, equivalent to pick #67 at the top of the 3rd round.

In other words, what the Jets paid for Thomas was pretty darned closed to what the Pats paid for Welker. IMO, both were solid moves that made the teams better.

Thomas Jones is 5'10", 220lbs
Laurence Maroney is 5'11" 220lbs

so that 1" probably makes Maroney a million times better than Jones by your logic...

...please stay away from the interweb.

they can list him as 220 all his agent drew rosenhaus wants but my eyes and his lack of power in the hole tell me he's at least 20 pounds lighter. no way the guy is only 5 lbs lighter than dillon. ever cross your mind agents purposely overstate players size to maximize their value knowing teams make decisions based on height and weight? as for your comment about maroney it makes no sense whatsoever. i never said thomas was a bad RB, i did say he was redundant to what the jets already had. it's a sideways move that, given your amount of moves are very limited, actually hurts them in the sense they don't get better as a result.

Last edited:
they can list him as 220 all his agent drew rosenhaus wants but my eyes and his lack of power in the hole tell me he's at least 20 pounds lighter. no way the guy is only 5 lbs lighter than dillon. ever cross your mind agents purposely overstate players size to maximize their value knowing teams make decisions based on height and weight? as for your comment about maroney it makes no sense whatsoever. i never said thomas was a bad RB, i did say he was redundant to what the jets already had. it's a sideways move that, given your amount of moves are very limited, actually hurts them in the sense they don't get better as a result.

so what you are saying is that this data is from the agents then...and not from the team or league?

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187390

the nyc tabloids are playing it like the pats had widened the competition gap between the two teams with the thomas acquisition and this helps narrow the gap. whatever, it's a sweet deal for the jets. the ny papers are saying it's justified if they get one, maybe two, good years out of him in a backfield tandem.

this move is right out of the pioli playbook and reminiscent of the dillon deal, but this guy is coming off of consecutive 1,200 yard seasons and impact performances in the nfc championship game and the superbowl. hats off to the jests on this one, i'm afraid.

Last edited:
Using the Draft chart point system to compare both the Welker trade and the Jets/Bears swap for Jones:
Pats gave up picks #60 and #219
Chart values are 300 and 3.8 =303.8
Jets swapped #37 for #63
Chart Values are 530 minus 276=254
The differential is 47.8 which equates to the #124 pick, near the bottom of the 4th round.
Ignoring the comparisons and looking at each transaction independently, the Pats clearly paid a premium ( and no, the 7th round addition has little to do with this premium) for Welker, but he is young, versatile, and a need.
I applaud the Jets for their maneuver to secure a starting RB, but this transaction has more to do with the Bears positioning themselves in the Draft. They now can move up into the middle of the 1st round if they find a partner. I gotta believe they have their eye on a QB and the #37 pick factors into the equation.

Good move by the Jests.

He had 23 carries for 99 yards against us last year.

Most of which were after Seau went down mid-game and the run-D collapsed. FWIW.

Most of which were after Seau went down mid-game and the run-D collapsed. FWIW.

That's a good point I forgot that was the same Jr broke his arm.

yeah good trade for the jets.

Meanwhile Jamaal Lewis sits out there as a UFA no need to trade anything for him. Again, it was fine for the Jets but they could have moved on Dillon, Lewis, Henry (he just signed a day or two ago) for nothing so it's not like a rip off or anything.

Meanwhile Jamaal Lewis sits out there as a UFA no need to trade anything for him. Again, it was fine for the Jets but they could have moved on Dillon, Lewis, Henry (he just signed a day or two ago) for nothing so it's not like a rip off or anything.

And Jones has more production than Dillon and Lewis, was a yard off of Henry's mark, and doesn't come with the $12 million in guaranteed money that Henry does. Two years ago Jones had 1300 yards, last year he had 1200. He's better than Dillon and Lewis at this points in their careers, is more durable and was had for relatively cheap.

It is a nice move by the Jets (unfortunately).

Good move. Anyone know his cap numbers?

The JETS cap would be salary only. The NFLPA lists his salary as $2.725M for 2007 with nothing listed thereafter. So I assume he is entering the final year of his deal and looking for a new deal. He will be a 30 year old back in the first year of any extension the JETS sign him to.

I'd have signed Henry of the above three, but I think Jones is the better player out of the lot. When you consider it cost the gets virtually nothing, swapping positiosn in the 2nd round, the deal is a great one for them. I'm very surprised with Chicago here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back