PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats have the most cap space in the league

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Still not spending but there seem to be some intriguing names out there:
Still feels like they are not even trying. What is the harm in signing a few on 1 year deals?
At least give the appearance that they are not tanking

Shaq Lawson DE
Tyler Boyd WR
Ezekiel Elliot RB
Mehki Becton T
Keanu Nealv SS
Miles Boykin WR
Andre Dillard T
David Bakhtiari T
Hunter Renfrow
Xavian Howard
JC Jackson
Emmanuel Ogbah DE
Odell Beckham
Carl Lawson
Andrus Peat G
Charles Leno T
Yannick Nagoya DE
Stephen Gilmore
CJ Uzomeh TE
Logan Thomas TE
Michael Thomas
Isaiah Simmons OLB
Jordan Phillips

DUDE. You lose ALL credibility when you put up trash names like Mekhi Becton, Miles Boykin, and Andre Dillard. Also when you can't spell guys names like Ngakoue correctly.

Throwing names up that were horrid last year says you don't actually want the team to impriove. Just that you want the Pats to piss money away.

Throwing names up of players who would take the Pats in the opposite direction, AGE wise, isn't going to help either. There is only 1 player whom they've signed to a contract that will end when the player is older than 30. And that is Hunter Henry. The rest will either end when the player turns 30 or can be terminated when they turn 30.

Pats don't need a Strong Safety.

The Pats need a FS, a CB, maybe an EDGE player depending on the Defense that Mayo is running.

The only players of ACTUAL interest would be Renfrow, Elliot and Gilmore.

I'm not sure that Isaiah Simmons fits what Mayo is looking to run, which seems to be a continuation of the Nickle defense that the Pats were running.

Hunter Renfrow on a 1yr prove it deal might be good.
Gilmore would be the only 30+ guy on that list I'd touch.

Julian Blackmon would be interesting at FS.

Don't forget that the Pats are ALSO trying to get Dugger, Barmore, and Judon on extensions. The Pats will need 8-10M for draft picks.

DUDE. You lose ALL credibility when you put up trash names like Mekhi Becton, Miles Boykin, and Andre Dillard. Also when you can't spell guys names like Ngakoue correctly.

Throwing names up that were horrid last year says you don't actually want the team to impriove. Just that you want the Pats to piss money away.

Throwing names up of players who would take the Pats in the opposite direction, AGE wise, isn't going to help either. There is only 1 player whom they've signed to a contract that will end when the player is older than 30. And that is Hunter Henry. The rest will either end when the player turns 30 or can be terminated when they turn 30.

The Pats need a FS, a CB, maybe an EDGE player depending on the Defense that Mayo is running.

I'm not sure that Isaiah Simmons fits what Mayo is looking to run, which seems to be a continuation of the Nickle defense that the Pats were running.

Don't forget that the Pats are ALSO trying to get Dugger, Barmore, and Judon on extensions. The Pats will need 8-10M for draft picks.
Possible trades and released vets after the draft around the league.

I wouldn’t mind a flyer on Becton. If he sucks, cut him. But if he sticks…screw the Jets lol

lol trying what? To please you?
They won’t do anything until the draft is over and they see what other teams do, there will surely be cuts and trade opportunities.

Still feels like they are not even trying. What is the harm in signing a few on 1 year deals?

Shaq Lawson DE
Tyler Boyd WR
Ezekiel Elliot RB
Mehki Becton T
Keanu Nealv SS
Miles Boykin WR
Andre Dillard T
David Bakhtiari T
Hunter Renfrow
Xavian Howard
JC Jackson
Emmanuel Ogbah DE
Odell Beckham
Carl Lawson
Andrus Peat G
Charles Leno T
Yannick Nagoya DE
Stephen Gilmore
CJ Uzomeh TE
Logan Thomas TE
Michael Thomas
Isaiah Simmons OLB
Jordan Phillips
I would bring back Elliot, I thought he played well with no QB and a poor OL. The rest I would hold off on until after the draft.

why not bring in a veteran OT on a 1 year deal? Don't care if it's Leno, Humphrey Dillard or someone else.

There would be no future cap hit and it drives competition.

Just because some guys played bad last year doesn't necessarily mean they are playing bad here too, it could have been scheme/healtj issues we don't know about.

Julian Blackmon would be awesome, good performance and still young

I would bring back Elliot, I thought he played well with no QB and a poor OL. The rest I would hold off on until after the draft.
We always speak as if it is the team's choice.

I would like to see Elliot back also. The media says that he is considering going back to Dallas.

This off season has been a long slow burn...

Free agency ... So far incomplete... Additions are underwhelming but the retention of our own guys was a positive... Still waiting on word about Dugger getting an extension... Don't know why that hasn't happened yet... It's a bit maddening, least to me...

Signing have slowed to a trickle... To be expected, with the draft just around the corner... Maybe after the draft more guys will be brought in ... Hopefully veteran cuts after the draft... But with 90 man rosters, I'm not expecting that... Any signings will be bottom of the roster/bubble types...

Maybe 2024 is going to be in a full roster evaluation type season... Year 0 of a rebuilding program... Add key pieces in the draft, then fill in the gaps in 2025...

Or the Krafts are really being cheap bastards and are unwilling to spend money... Not backing up their words about wanting to field a competitive team...

Shaq Lawson DE
Tyler Boyd WR
Ezekiel Elliot RB
Mehki Becton T
Keanu Nealv SS
Miles Boykin WR
Andre Dillard T
David Bakhtiari T
Hunter Renfrow
Xavian Howard
JC Jackson
Emmanuel Ogbah DE
Odell Beckham
Carl Lawson
Andrus Peat G
Charles Leno T
Yannick Nagoya DE
Stephen Gilmore
CJ Uzomeh TE
Logan Thomas TE
Michael Thomas
Isaiah Simmons OLB
Jordan Phillips
It is sad that you think that they should sign players just to please you,
===========
1) Many players don't want to play for us. After the draft, our QB will be known and we will have a better chance at signing players on Offense.

2) We have spent a lot already and have gotten almost all of our free agents re-signed. That is a huge vote of confidence from the players.

3) We can use competition at several positions, but certainly not at all of them. Also, our strong preference is for longer term contracts, unless we are discussing a show-me contract, or just filling a spot for a year while our youngsters develop.

4) My WAG is that we will sign at least 5 free more free agents, probably closer to 10, not counting rookies.

5) There is no rush, especially regarding trades.

6) Also, while we do need some free agents, my strong preference that our priority be to extend our best players

why not bring in a veteran OT on a 1 year deal? Don't care if it's Leno, Humphrey Dillard or someone else.

There would be no future cap hit and it drives competition.

Just because some guys played bad last year doesn't necessarily mean they are playing bad here too, it could have been scheme/healtj issues we don't know about.

Julian Blackmon would be awesome, good performance and still young

They probably will, unless they two guys they are excited about in the draft, in which case there may be enough OT's for camp. There are 5-6 on the roster now, depending on how you slot the current guys.

But those vets may not want to sign here. Two way decision.

At this time of year they shift to waiting until after the draft. Teams will cut veterans who have been replaced by drafted players, or put veterans up on the trade market. This creates a new market where guys who have been holding out for more money have new competition and lowers their value. That’s when you get better overall deals done. The only downside is you aren’t able to get those players in for the start of your spring program in early April, but for veterans it’s a somewhat negligible issue.

We always speak as if it is the team's choice.

I would like to see Elliot back also. The media says that he is considering going back to Dallas.

I realize they have to convince players to want to come here, but I would still like to see them bring him back, and I thought he was toast before last season.

What number is Cap Space going to wear this season?

How about we look at it as the FO is giving the 'appearance' they aren't in panic mode? That they realize this is going to be a marathon not a sprint and we are only in the first couple of weeks of a very weak free agency period? In thread after thread you have been educated as to the various stages of roster change between seasons and the order they happen in. There's no point in doing it again. That you've shown your desire to stay blissfully ignorant in the face of people honestly attempting to educate you is not surprising, sadly we all see the willful embrace of ignorance in our society daily. It's the constant need to illustrate your ignorance and childlike impatience that is a little mystifying.

What is truly driving your personal panic bus to this point where repeatedly de-panting yourself a month out from the draft has become a compulsion?

Shaq Lawson DE
Tyler Boyd WR
Ezekiel Elliot RB
Mehki Becton T
Keanu Nealv SS
Miles Boykin WR
Andre Dillard T
David Bakhtiari T
Hunter Renfrow
Xavian Howard
JC Jackson
Emmanuel Ogbah DE
Odell Beckham
Carl Lawson
Andrus Peat G
Charles Leno T
Yannick Nagoya DE
Stephen Gilmore
CJ Uzomeh TE
Logan Thomas TE
Michael Thomas
Isaiah Simmons OLB
Jordan Phillips
Still NOT spending?

FIVE teams have spent more 2024 cap than the patriots. We have spent $47M so far.

There's a date on the NFL calendar, not sure exactly when, but after that day all veteran players who haven't been signed no longer count against the compensatory draft formula. Very often in years past, the Pats and other teams made a gaggle of signings on that date.

It's more likely than not they had contracts in place with these outside free agents and simply waited until that day to have them sign on the dotted line. This would help them when the NFL was formulating how many compensatory picks to award the team.

I'm hoping this is the case now and they have a better plan at LT than Okorafor and plan to bring some more WR competition into camp. They can really do a lot more to help the team this year by way of value vet free agents.

We have spent $47M so far.

4-13 roster is essentially back in the fold + JAG Brissett - JAG Mac

1711816052346.png

Note: I am extremely excited to "burn some cash" on discarded veterans of other teams.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back