PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets alerted Refs to look for Illegal FG Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the pats coached to the rule and if the player didn't commit the penalty in the first place, the question is irrelevant. they didn't. he did. end of story. time to move on.

No one coaches to this rule. In the entire NFL. not the Jets. Not anyone. The refs don't even call this rule. They don't even know the rule. If they did, they'd throw a penalty for a defender lining up on the shoulder pads of the snapper, which happens on every single kick. It's illegal. Obviously, the NFL has a problem here with the refs calling a penalty 1 out of 300 times.

If you are fine with penalties that are called only 1 time for every 300 times they are violated, I suggest you look up the word "fairness" in the dictionary.

Couldda woulda shoulda..... we committed a penalty, and paid for it. Whether you like the penalty and the flag, is a moot point. The Jets did nothing illegal, and they didn't steal any 'W's.

The only thing that enrages me is the level we played at.

Get over it. We deserved to lose.
We had the closest loss imaginable to a division rival on the road for our first division loss in 25 months and 12 games.
You have a strange standard of getting enraged.

And not playing to the level of your wishes or have the indiginity of going to overtime is not deserving to lose. They deserved to be facing a 56 yard OT game winning FG attempt, and if the penalty wasn't called they deserved to be on the 46 with about 5 minutes left and a chance to win.

I'm sure you were emabarassed too, right?

Please explain to me how someone "looks like an ass" for admitting he made a mistake.

Belichick should have known the rule. He should have coached to the rule. He didn't do either. He admitted it. We might be able to say that he didn't do his job as well as he should have, but nothing more.

Or, are you one of the rare humans who has never had to admit s/he was wrong?
I'm pretty confident BadMoFo isn't my wife, so that rules out one of those rare people. :D

This whole fiasco reminds me of the call against the Lions last year on Thanksgiving when they tried to challenge an un-challengeable play and therefore the play couldn't be reviewed at all.

Once that call showed up in a major way, everyone knew the rule going forward.

Funny how we became the whipping boy. I am sure if the Jets were called for the penalty on the last Pats field goal try and scored a touchdown to win the game, the effect would be the same but the NFL office in NYC wouldn't like it.

I don't fault the Jets for this - I have no doubt Belichick tells the refs to watch for things he sees on tape all the time

Heck - I don't even mind losing to the Jets. This win probably saved Wrecks Ryans job.

And I'd LOVE to see them sign Wrecks to a multi-year extension!

Even when we lose we win!

This whole fiasco reminds me of the call against the Lions last year on Thanksgiving when they tried to challenge an un-challengeable play and therefore the play couldn't be reviewed at all.

Once that call showed up in a major way, everyone knew the rule going forward.

Nah that rule got changed immediately. You still might get the 15 yd penalty but you can still challenge it.

What a bunch of cry babies. How many times in the past have the PATS benefited from non calls and phantom calls against other teams. Every team in the league knows when you play the pats; you're also playin the refs.

Problem is Pats fans; Vegas knows you don't have the personnel to win it all; even with a little help from your friends; I mean the refs.

Wake up folks - the game is rigged. Always has been; always will be.

I guess BB is not pleased with the competency of the referee. LOL

This still annoys me and I know I should get over it, and I accept it isn't the only reason we lost, but quite frankly, I think the NFL needs to issue a clarification and an apology to BB (which I know won't happen).

It isn't fair to simply point out that they broke a rule when you consider every team in the league breaks a rule on every single offensive play. The rules on offensive holding are pretty clear about not being able to grab your opponent, yet officials know they can't catch it so they have a completely separate set of guidelines they use on when to call it or not.

Or when Bill Polian cried foul about the roughing up of Colts receivers and the illegal contact penalty became a point of emphasis. This wasn't a new rule actually, just the emphasized enforcement of an old rule. And even before they started to do it, they explained the change in philosophy to everyone in advance.

There are tons of examples of rules that are not enforced exactly as written, and follow a completely different set of guidelines, and if those guidelines are explained incorrectly by the head of officiating, it is wrong. If Chris Jones is going to stand up like a man and accept blame (even though he's doing what the coaches tell him to), and BB is standing up there to accept blame, so should the Dean Blandino of the NFL.

Instead, they're deleting references and removing footage in an attempt to further obscure the issue.

This still annoys me and I know I should get over it, and I accept it isn't the only reason we lost, but quite frankly, I think the NFL needs to issue a clarification and an apology to BB (which I know won't happen).

It isn't fair to simply point out that they broke a rule when you consider every team in the league breaks a rule on every single offensive play. The rules on offensive holding are pretty clear about not being able to grab your opponent, yet officials know they can't catch it so they have a completely separate set of guidelines they use on when to call it or not.

Or when Bill Polian cried foul about the roughing up of Colts receivers and the illegal contact penalty became a point of emphasis. This wasn't a new rule actually, just the emphasized enforcement of an old rule. And even before they started to do it, they explained the change in philosophy to everyone in advance.

There are tons of examples of rules that are not enforced exactly as written, and follow a completely different set of guidelines, and if those guidelines are explained incorrectly by the head of officiating, it is wrong. If Chris Jones is going to stand up like a man and accept blame (even though he's doing what the coaches tell him to), and BB is standing up there to accept blame, so should the Dean Blandino of the NFL.

Instead, they're deleting references and removing footage in an attempt to further obscure the issue.

You're right, if they're going to alert the refs with a memo to the play and emphasize them calling it they should alert all the teams to so they don't think what they're doing is ok and then call it at a crucial point in a game. The refs should have warned everyone the first time they see it in a game and then if you do it after that a penalty is fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes