PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Denver Trades for Jets’ Wilson

The top 3 guys ALL have the talent to be a top 5 QB. So you can't pass on him even if you know for a FACT that you have at least a 50-50 chance you are going to be disappointed. The reward for getting it right is just too high to pass it up
Agreed

Interesting:

If Payton thinks he can fix him, he may be more arrogant than we thought…although the risk is certainly low. :rolleyes:
Trading a 6th for a backup/project QB doesn't mean that DEN isn't desperate for a QB. They are, and trading for Wilson shows that.

If they draft a QB and Wilson also improves a lot, DEN can then trade Wilson (or Stidham).

Amazing new uniforms for the Broncos. Looks like they must have consulted the Patriots to get them just right..

Disagree! Every draft pick is a risk. All of them from 1-250. BUT the necessity of having a quality QB to compete for championships you HAVE to take that risk and hope the guy you pick develops into the guy you hope he is

The top 3 guys ALL have the talent to be a top 5 QB. So you can't pass on him even if you know for a FACT that you have at least a 50-50 chance you are going to be disappointed. The reward for getting it right is just too high to pass it up.
I've been wavering back and forth on this as I've always been a believer in taking BPA.
But I think I agree.
Even though MHJ is a guaranteed great pick, if Maye or Daniels hits their ceiling, that is way more valuable than MHJ, even if he becomes the GOAT wr.
That's probably too valuable to pass up, even though it carries a little more risk

Having a great LT doesn't matter much if the guy behind him is not very good.
Wrong. Look at the Jets. Two QB’s taken at the top of the first round within five years of each other. Sucky OL.

How’d that work out?

Wrong. Look at the Jets. Two QB’s taken at the top of the first round within five years of each other. Sucky OL.

How’d that work out?
Putting a good QB behind a sucky OL is a bad idea.

The point is, you can't do that till you have a good QB, and it's more important to find the good QB than the good LT.

It seems especially important when you feel there are potential franchise-level QBs in this draft but not in the next one.

Unfortunately for da Jete but fortunately for us, they haven't hit on QB with their last three major swings (Dirty Sanchez, Darnit, McMilfson).

That doesn't mean it's the wrong thing to do.

Signing a 40 year old Ahole with a deep injury history then giving him a $112M contract with $75M guaranteed then putting him behind a sucky OL is IMO not the right thing to do.

The future cap hits are going to be massive: Aaron Rodgers Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Putting a good QB behind a sucky OL is a bad idea.

The point is, you can't do that till you have a good QB, and it's more important to find the good QB than the good LT.

It seems especially important when you feel there are potential franchise-level QBs in this draft but not in the next one.

Unfortunately for da Jete but fortunately for us, they haven't hit on QB with their last three major swings (Dirty Sanchez, Darnit, McMilfson).

That doesn't mean it's the wrong thing to do.

Signing a 40 year old Ahole with a deep injury history then giving him a $112M contract with $75M guaranteed then putting him behind a sucky OL is IMO not the right thing to do.

The future cap hits are going to be massive: Aaron Rodgers Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap
Jets are taking an OT 1st round so problem fixed.

I didn't know that you were a Dorchester native, Captain. I grew up in the Franklin Field projects and later taught for 9 years at the OW Holmes jhs which was 1 JHS north of the Wilson.

I started teaching there in 1969 so maybe our paths crossed at some point.

Oh yeah I grew-up as a single-digit midget a couple of blocks off Columbia Road west of Uphams Corner until we moved a couple of miles down Adams Street in 1970 as soon as the school year ended at the Mather, which was/is located on Meeting House Hill just off Bowdoin Street near the eastern, Kane Square end... My dad's Gaelic football/hurling team practiced at Franklin field (though they played their games at Dilboy Stadium in Somerville) and my brother & I & usually a friend or two would go with him there and bring our balls/bats/gloves/football/Frisbee... Spent the 6th grade at an elementary school just 2 streets down from our new house, though I was tempted to ask my dad if he would drop me off at the Mather for a year on his way to work at the Sears distribution center in Southie...

Last edited:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back