PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

jests fans - Is Pats Violating The Salary Cap With Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This speculation is neither novel nor interesting.

That's why I hesitated to make this thread. But so many Pats fans were talking about it on twitter, I figured some might want to know about it here.

At least this way, you can read it without having to click on it.

As funny as it is we gotta stop giving morons attention in my opinion and focus on the knowledgeable people.

I'm pretty sure teams have done this before, I don't think Brady is going to work for the Pats post career.

SalaryGate

OK, I'm done just shrugging off this idiocy. It's time to state what should be blindingly obvious:

Being the face of a team that consistently competes for (and even wins) championships, rather than a less successful team, is worth $7 million a year. Not just in psychic income, personal satisfaction, etc. -- though that's huge -- but in cold hard cash, too. Winning pays.

Tom Brady makes $7+ million a year in endorsements, thanks to his success with the Patriots. Tom Brady will be a lifelong legend able to command endorsement contracts, appearance fees, etc., thanks to his success with the Patriots. Would Tedy Bruschi be all over tv for life insurance and MRIs if he didn't have three gaudy rings on his fingers? And would the Patriots dominate year after year if Brady held out for every scrap of the salary cap he could command?

It doesn't take an under-the-table deal to make a cap-friendly contract worth Brady's while. Duh.

This issue brings out the Libertarian in me. I'm all for regulation/rules when it keeps us from being poisoned, having planetaryresources used up wastefully, and similar. But not this price manipulation scheme. Brady should be free to play for whatever he feels like playing for. The NFL, which is not even his employer, shouldn't be able to touch it, period.

Grrrr. My lawn is inhabited by morons and Jets fans.

Just call us The New England Gateriots

Taking a lower salary is not cheating.
Buying a piece of the team, post career, is not cheating.
Getting hired by a team, post career, is not cheating.

So, unless the assclown who wrote the piece has proof of a quid pro quo, there is absolutely nothing to see here.

Taking a lower salary is not cheating.
Buying a piece of the team, post career, is not cheating.
Getting hired by a team, post career, is not cheating.

So, unless the assclown who wrote the piece has proof of a quid pro quo, there is absolutely nothing to see here.

This is good to know because now John Elway will not have to step down from the Broncos!

One other thought:

Economics often assumes that people are "rational actors"—in part, this means they do not intentionally make stupid decisions.

This author seems to be arguing that Brady is acting irrationally, therefore there must be cheating.

But what if Brady is the rational actor, and most big-ticket superstars are the irrational ones?

All you can do is just laugh that Brady taking less than he could get is looked at as cheating when he does it. Any other QB, "What a good team player"

Marvelous. It's amazing the way Jetnomics explains the world around us. For example, that big contract Sanchez got from Tanny a few years ago by Jet-logic must be the opposite of cheating.

Chris Harris signed a deal that has a 8.5M APY. Top cornerbacks are now getting paid 14M APY.
Are the Broncos cheating the salary cap.

Chris Harris signed a deal that has a 8.5M APY. Top cornerbacks are now getting paid 14M APY.
Are the Broncos cheating the salary cap.

Harris isn't a true #1 CB if you ask me. Lots of PFF hype behind him.

I think Talib is a lot better and his APY is ~ $9.5

Another Jet fan drinking Koolaid made with unfiltered water from the toxic Meadowlands swamp.

Brady would rather be the best rather than the best paid. He doesn't need money. He wants rings. That goal is furthered by having better players on his team to help him win. You have a better chance at getting better players by paying them more.

The "How do we know . . ." type of argument is the lowest form, employed when you have no evidence, dismissed by lawyers and economists alike. Just another example of the Jet mindset: primitive, undisciplined, speculative, focused on the other team, rather than your own.

Marvelous. It's amazing the way Jetnomics explains the world around us. For example, that big contract Sanchez got from Tanny a few years ago by Jet-logic must be the opposite of cheating.

The fact that he implies paying Sanchez like that was the right thing to do tells you all you need to know about the philosophy and culture of some of the loser teams out there and their fanbases.

The fact that the Patriots have consistently been a top tier team for the last 15 years has caused a whole bunch of people to lose their minds

Yes, the Pats are cheating the salary cap.. Kraft orchestrated the marriage to Gisele so that Brady gets $100M per year from what she makes. That way Brady's money is just their spending cash and goes into the college funds for his kids..

All you can do is just laugh that Brady taking less than he could get is looked at as cheating when he does it. Any other QB, "What a good team player"

Agreed. What about situations like Russel Wilson's? Seattle got 3 very successful years of good QB play out of him for about $750k per year. Was it cheating that they had about $19 million more than other teams to sign other players? Was it cheating that they didn't give Wilson $20 million after his first season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back