PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo is a monster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pioli and BB...everybody dogged the Myo pick...the kid is quiet, studies continually,has cut down his misreads, reaction time has quicked, he's fast fast fast,,,and oppsing players now know they ar going to get hit past the line of scrimmage in the zone.In two years he'll be All Pro and a team leader. Guyton was a steal...a lot of teams just didn't do their homework.Suddenly our aged D is young and close to extremely educated in the BB system. Hope we make the playoffs so they can get a taste of playoff intensity. We need a bonafide safety assasin with great skill and smarts and in a season we'll have a shut down defense for the underneath zones. I don;t want to lose Big Sey but Warren will still man the line with Wilfork.There will be D tackles with experience that can play in this 3-4. Our secondary speed with the youth is exemplary, but durability seem to be a question. Give me a big corner with sub 4.5 speed from the SEC and I'm feeling good for the next two, three seasons...but LB speed can't be overestimated and we have it in the rooks...rooks who are getting first year experience...experience that the "experts" said they would never get because BB doesn't do that> Looks like that was more media bull.

You guys tell me...if AT doesn't go down, with half the secondary, Morris,LoMO and our Oakland refugee, with Neal back...we run the ball down the Jets throat tonight and screen them with Faulk at will. So you can't harp on the Patriots current state and blame co-ordinators and bad calls. They are using players and youth that were never originally meant to carry a load. Does Cassel grow like we've seen this season?? HUH???we all saw that preseason...an impossibility on the surface...but the Genius and abd teaching of BB, the confidence he showed in the face of almost 100% negativity has borne a winning mindset and pro veteran confidence...where the hell does this happen>> Billy Volek?Joey Harrington? The Colts backup? You actually think Big Ben's backup won't be figured out quick? He lost out to Garad for crying out loud..Brad Johnson? No...BB evaluated and taught this kid because he determined the kid had that most inportant intangible...the will to win. Cassel threw the tying touchdown with 4 seconds to play tonight in the most hyped game of the year, THAT'S the most inportant attribute of a GOOD QB,,,that's why Montana won all those Super Bowls while the rest of the superstaQB's in the league sucked wind.

This loss wasn't devastating...it's Miami that is the real danger to our season. I tnink Morris could have played tonight but now he's ten days until the Phins. Stop their running game and keep Pennington to his second and third reads. Ball control. The only matchup I fear is Ginn.No returns and now time in the pocket fror Penniunbgton to throw deep ins and we can win this game. Otherwise,we're in trouble. And remeber, Parcells has the same season strategy as we do...finish strong.

Great season...I'm loving it

Mayo and Guyton will define our LB corps for a few years, what impresses me both is their speed, how quickly they react and great tackling.. as time progresses they will only get better.

Disappointing game, but Mayo looked absolutely nasty all night long.

I'm trying to teach my daughter there are no such things as monsters, and then you post this? Thanks for nothing. It's a good thing she can't read yet. :)

If Meriweather wanted to win like Mayo wanted to win, maybe he makes that stop on 3rd and 15 and the Pats get the ball back.

Good point. What is with the several Meriweather "bounce off" non-tackles? Wrap up, my man! He did it more than once in this game and he bounced off somebody in the last game. I thought he was a hard hitter, but he's been the opposite of that lately.

Perhaps the most encouraging thing about Mayo was that this Jet's game was the first time he saw a team for the second time around, and his recognition ability soared, allowing him to demonstrate his extraordinary athleticism. The kid's still improving rapidly.

Yeah it was an awesome experience watching Mayo play tonight. He has been all over the place and hits guys hard!

Disappointing game, but Mayo looked absolutely nasty all night long.

I hope KC Joyner got to watch last nite.

He's still not completely consistent shedding big guards on those inside runs - and maybe some of that is on the other members of the front 7 not keeping blocks off against the Jets formidable OL. And even in that regard, he made progress last nite. But if you give him any open space at all, he's a complete monster. He is such a sure tackler, and he's got ridiculous speed for the position. He's going to be great.

Last edited:
Guyton is the exact type of player who comes out of nowhere and exactly defines the difference between the Pats and other teams. People who knock the Pats recent drafts always do it without comparing them to other teams drafts, so they think every pick is supposed to be perfect. When Chad Jackson got cut, you'd think some people here forgot about all of the talent the Pats have built their dynasty around through savvy drafting and FA acquisitions. Pretty much every single player on the defense right now shows a lot of talent and potential, but it's going to take time to adjust to the volatility of injuries and new gameplanning.

Indeed! Guyton's one of those picks that defines how the Pats work. I've said it many times, last year's draft had to be up there as one of our best ever! Anyway, to your original post and thread- Mayo's a freakin' defensive gold mine for us. One of the brightest spots of the season has been watching him grasp his job and really begin to get his reads down (credit to Bru for some of this too-tremendous mentor).

We've got an exciting D with tons of potential which hopefully we get to see in FULL BLOOM next season. Mayo's a beast; a smart beast too:D

Can't access the articles on CHFF from work (it's screwy), but, based on their homepage blurb, I agree that Mayo will be making opposing offenses sing Harry Belafonte's "Banana Boat" song for years to come. . . .

"May-o, May-ay-ay-oh. Mayo come, and me want to go home." :D

Last edited:
Ya, he was a beast when he was at UT last year. If he had stayed another year he could have been UTs best Linebacker (Historicaly speaking) IMO. Better than Al Wilson and Leonard Little.

Ya, he was a beast when he was at UT last year. If he had stayed another year he could have been UTs best Linebacker (Historicaly speaking) IMO. Better than Al Wilson and Leonard Little.

If he's spoken of in the same breath of those two he's going to be Great!

The silver lining was definitely the play of Mayo. He was everywhere last night and HAD to be accounted for by the offensive line or he would make the big stop. Heck there were times they tried to block him but they couldn't. Mayo will be one of the leaders of this defense in the very near future. That's something to look forward to. I think this defense is just a passrusher and a strong safety from becoming dominant. Our safeties could not put anybody down at the point of contact. Those long 3rd down coversions allowed to the Jets were the difference in this game.

It was 3am here so I went to bed at half time a little worried about Mayo and Koppen leaving the field. I take it Mayo's ok then...

Believe me, he was much more than OK :)

Good stuff bud, good stuff. I saw him first half putting himself about, one play in particular stood out where he reacted straight away to the run outside and shut it down.

The LB (Guyton, I think), blew the coverage, not the SS. He bit a little on the under. Lack of experience. A slower Bruschi would make that play with ease. Still, you need to play to learn. As for desire, you can confuse it with inexperience. Confident players make faster, better decisions.

I'm getting a #51 Jersey as well.

It was Woods who bit under on one of the next plays.

The 3rd and 15, no one bit n the under. There was no under. Vrabel released Keller at the line, everyone was downfield. If someone had the assignent after Vrabel passed him off, then they blew it. As it was, Merriweather was the first one there (late). I can't be sure, but it was either Vrabel or Merriweather who messed that one up.

A Jet with the ball near the scrimmage (can't remember who) was putting some razzle-dazzle on a Patriot DB when Mayo came out of nowhere and blind-side CRUSHED him. That was my second favorite play of the game.

A Jet with the ball near the scrimmage (can't remember who) was putting some razzle-dazzle on a Patriot DB when Mayo came out of nowhere and blind-side CRUSHED him. That was my second favorite play of the game.

That was Stuckey (his one catch of the night). The downside of course being that it was still good for a first down.

I remember when they showed the slow-motion replay that Mayo still looked like he was flying.

My favorite play was when Farve tried to run for the first down. When he started to run to the outside it looked like he had some open room in front of him. I realize Farve is no speed demon but when Mayo closed the gap it looked like Farve wasn't moving at all.

Anyone else think Guyton looks a real keeper at ILB too? He's quick, got the smarts and BB obviously rates him so if he sticks on a few pounds he and Mayo could be the real deal in a few years time - the next Seau/Bruschi inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes