PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Jake Bailey released

As I understand it from various reports since he got suspended:

The suspension voided most/all of his guarantees, which minimizes/eliminates the dead cap cost of cutting him. The grievance is to challenge the legitimacy of the suspension and thus try to recoup his guarantees-- which would then become dead cap for the Pats.
As long as it's just a disagreement about money and the eventual downside is just having to pay him, I am fine. You know, 32x bitten, twice shy.

I hope the Pats have a better plan than the scrub who filled in last season.
Me too, I was going ask does anyone know who the current punter is if we even have one on the roster?... some odd things happening so far.. there has to be a plan... there just has too..

Bailey is currently on the books for $2.37 million of dead money.

It’s possible Bailey’s release is part of the resolution of his grievance. If not and Bailey wins the grievance, his $2.?? guaranteed salary will be added to his dead money figure. Obviously, if Bailey loses his grievance, his dead cap number will not change.

There would be offsets if Baileys guarantees are restored by winning his grievance. Whatever salary Bailey earns from another team in 2023 would offset the guarantee dollar for dollar and give the Pats a salary cap credit for that amount in 2024.

If the grievance has not been settled, I suspect the reason Bailey is being released now is to maximize his 2023 earning potential in hopes a good part or all of the 2023 guarantees would be offset if he should win his grievance.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back