PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

THANK YOU FOR THE MEMORIES COACH BELICHICK!!! LET THE ZAPPE ERA BEGIN!!!

Mac is done but Zappe was recently cut (and went unclaimed), is coming off his own drive-killing int, and has done nothing to inspire hope. Grier is clinging to a third QB status and couldn’t get on the field the last—what, 2 years? The lack of at least a steady veteran in case the Mac experiment went sour, is imo a glaring personnel mistake.

Grier was fired by Bill after the 2000 draft, so who knows if he had any input or not. Rehbein pushing Bill is an example of what Bill needed the last 10 years. In fact, we've just heard a while back that Caserio was trying to convince Bill to take AJ Brown. On the other hand, Chris Simms said staff members were furious and walked out on Bill when he decided to take Chandler Jones.
According to Pioli, Grier was involved. Everyone liked him (Weis, BB, Pioli, Grier, Ernie) and were ready to select as early as the 3rd, but wasn't a need, so they kept on passing despite Brady being the highest rated player in all those rounds.

I like their back and forth on Mac vs Zappe. Seems like they are messing around at this point.
I guess.

We're 2-5 in one score games. Games that Mac was complete ****.

In 2016, with Reche Caldwell as his #1 WR, Brady led the Pats offense to #7 in the league and into the AFCCG. His TE was Ben and his RB was Faulk.

Everone of Mac's weapons are better than that 2006 team.

Brady would have this team at the very least 8-2.
Juju was Kermit's WR#1 on last year's SB winning team. None of the rest who are currently with the Chiefs have more than 20 receptions this season so far. Pats have 3 WRs with more than 20 recs so far this year, including Juju.

Mac needs to sit.

Mac is done but Zappe was recently cut (and went unclaimed), is coming off his own drive-killing int, and has done nothing to inspire hope. Grier is clinging to a third QB status and couldn’t get on the field the last—what, 2 years? The lack of at least a steady veteran in case the Mac experiment went sour, is imo a glaring personnel mistake.

Going back to Mac after yanking him on a potential game winning drive is a horrible message to send to the team.

Had to buy a lot of aluminum foil for this hat (per Ross12's post), but I wonder if Kraft's reaction was, "maybe I shouldn't have pushed for Mac too hard..."

Now I'm wondering if Zap was even a BB selection or if that was an overrule.

I’m more than a little annoyed though that we picked Zappe and passed over someone much better who is playing for Washington right now…that’s why I’m extra salty. Lol
You and the rest of us should be use to it by now(passing over better for lesser players). Pats have been drafting below average for many years (2014?). We can probably count the number of impact players drafted since 2014 on one hand. Can someone tell me which players drafted since 2014 made a probowl or an all pro?

You and the rest of us should be use to it by now(passing over better for lesser players). Pats have been drafting below average for many years (2014?). We can probably count the number of impact players drafted since 2014 on one hand. Can someone tell me which players drafted since 2014 made a probowl or an all pro?
Not counting ST players, Zero.

Edit: Corky made the probowl as a replacement.

I'll start with the Bucs players drafted since 2014 who made probowl or all pro. I'll start at 2020 when I started following them for obvious reasons, Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Vita Vea, Antoine Winfield, Tristen Wirfs, Devin White, Ali Marpet.

To be fair, I guess it’s just the law of averages just averaging out because BB drafted like no one else between 2000 and 2013.

Not counting ST players, Zero.

Edit: Corky made the probowl as a replacement.
Yeah, the unscientific and popularity contest feature of the probowl sometimes result in not the best player being chosen. Ie Kyler Murray(who statistically was just above average) got a probowl in 2020 over Tom Brady who had one of his best season.

I have been wondering this **** ever since the Groh promotion and how much Kraft touted how they were changing how things are done in the front office. Look how bad the draft class has turned out from last year.

Unfortunately I doubt we will ever know the answer.

I have been wondering this **** ever since the Groh promotion and how much Kraft touted how they were changing how things are done in the front office. Look how bad the draft class has turned out from last year.

Unfortunately I doubt we will ever know the answer.
I honestly can't wait for the gorram book in 10 years to come out to explain the downfall... including Butler's benching.

May be of interest only to me, but in 42 starts, Mac's only had 2 games where a receiver had more than 100yds. Zappe has had 1 in 2 starts. Cam had 4 in 15 starts. Zappe's and Cam's >100yd receiver games were to Undrafted WRs and one 7th rounder. Mac's 2 were to 1st rounders.

Meanwhile, CJ Stroud just made Noah Brown (7th rd 7rec 172yds) look like a darn Pro Bowler.

Last edited:
100% a BB selection. It was a typical contrarian "I'm smarter than you" pick. Other GMs would sign a guy like him as a UDFA if they wanted him. He would have been available.

Last edited:

Thuney made the probowl as a Chief.
Bailey was a first team AP and probowler in his second year.
Mac

That's it. I think Gonzalez probably would have gotten there too if he didn't get injured.

Surprised Jimmy didn't make a probowl.

100% a BB selection.

Other GMs would sign a guy like him as a UDFA if they wanted him. He would have been available.
You're probably right. Guessing he had to protect Mac's very fragile ego by not drafting an obvious threat. Crazy - Howell was mocked to about mid 2nd round and Zappe about mid 5th Round.

Howell's at the top of some crazy categories - Passes completed / attempts / Yds! / Sacked and yds lost / Att per game

Reactions: sb1

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back