PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It may not be as crazy as you think. Who you trade for the Browns first round pick #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: It may not be as crazy as you think. Who you trade for the Browns first round pic

Just to pile on here... I would gladly take a third round pick for Mallett, and probably even a fourth.

Cousin, Just saying but Mallets numbers in college compared to the big three (non proven definite maybes who would not beat out Tom Brady either):

Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

552 955 57.8 8385 8.8 9.1 69 24 150.4

Manziel:

595 863 68.9 7820 9.1 9.4 63 22 164.1

Bridgewater:

781 1142 68.4 9817 8.6 8.9 72 24 157.2

Bortles:

585 891 65.7 7598 8.5 8.8 56 19 153.8

Understand that Mallet's number included one part time year at Michigan which hurt his numbers.

Last year at Arkansas-
266 411 64.7 3869 9.4 9.7 32 12 163.6

Pretty impressive and oh, by the way he plays in the NFL under Tom Brady.
So all of those who say take a third and walk away, I tend to disagree with vehemently.

Many backups traded went well.

You undervalue him. Evidently BB thinks he has some value. Could have traded him in 2013.
DW Toys

Re: It may not be as crazy as you think. Who you trade for the Browns first round pic

Cousin, Just saying but Mallets numbers in college compared to the big three (non proven definite maybes who would not beat out Tom Brady either):

Manziel:

Bridgewater:

Bortles:

Understand that Mallet's number included one part time year at Michigan which hurt his numbers.

Last year at Arkansas-

So all of those who say take a third and walk away, I tend to disagree with vehemently.

You undervalue him. Evidently BB thinks he has some value. Could have traded him in 2013.
DW Toys

You just chucked numbers up there and presumed they were similar. 57.85 complete is very poor, and not in the same ballpark as 65.7 to 68.9.

He doesnt really PLAY in the NFL he sits. If being on the bench behind a good QB meant anything we'd be celebrating those future Hall of Famers Curtis Painter, Matt Guitierez, Rohan Davey and Steve Bono.

Who says BB was offered anything of value for Mallett in 2013?

Manziel:

Bridgewater:

Bortles:

Last year at Arkansas-

DW Toys

He's been pulling splinters out of his ass for 3 seasons, throwing only 4 passes in regular season games. During that time, I've seen him in training camps, exhibition games and a few instances of mop up duty. He's sucked, for the most part, and he got the job as backup in a year where he was outplayed but cheaper than the competition.

How is anyone possibly undervaluing that?

DW Toys

Just so that I can attempt to understand where you're coming from, why do you feel that a poster who claims that he'd trade Mallett for a 3rd or 4th is "undervaluing" him? It's not like he said he'd trade him for a 6th rounder, he said "3rd or 4th."

A few thoughts to ponder:

1. Do you honestly see Ryan Mallett bringing in compensation that would be higher than a 3rd or a 4th? I certainly do not. Why would any GM decide to give up a high round pick for the opportunity to now have to sign Mallett to a brand new deal, when they could simply select a younger QB in the draft who will basically cost peanuts?

2. If you're advocating keeping Mallett past this upcoming year as a backup, what kind of guesstimate contract would you propose that BOTH Belichick and Mallett would be satisfied with? (For me, this is one of the hardest questions to try and answer). Unless Mallett would be happy staying on in a backup role here for a very reasonable contract, I'd have a hard time seeing him stay in N.England past '14.

3. If Belichick would trade Mallett this season, it would leave a glaring hole in our QB2 depth chart that isn't likely to be filled in the handful of months of the offseason by anyone not named Brian Hoyer or Matt Cassel. Considering the thought that Cassel decided to opt out of his 3.7m payday this year, I'm guessing that he's looking for some kind of shot at starting, or at least competing for a starting role. It may be viewed as a bit of a stretch to imagine him coming back here in a backup role for much lesser money, depending upon how you personally see the situation.

Of course Belichick could decide to gamble and leave the QB2 spot wide open where the "new" rookie or replacement would have to have a much more limited playbook should anything happen to Brady, but that's not normally the way that Bill Belichick chooses to do business in my opinion. In order for him to even consider doing that, it'd likely have to be one HELL of a deal, and I just have a hard time seeing any team part with a 2nd rounder + a bigger type, brand new deal.

This month's "Is Ryan Mallet Worth a 1st Rounder?" thread is proudly brought to you by: Idiots.

even before Lombardi was fired, how did this post get so many responses. the original post was embarassing

1. Do you honestly see Ryan Mallett bringing in compensation that would be higher than a 3rd or a 4th? I certainly do not. Why would any GM decide to give up a high round pick for the opportunity to now have to sign Mallett to a brand new deal, when they could simply select a younger QB in the draft who will basically cost peanuts?

Actually I can see one scenario where he brings a second but none where he brings a first. That scenario is the one where Bill O'Brien believes Mallett can be a really good starter from his experience working with him in New England. If that is the case, and I am not claiming it is, then I could see O'Brien using their #33 to get Mallett from the Patriots and then using their #1 overall as either trade bait or to take the top rated prospect on their board, be that Clowney, or Robinson, etc.....

If Mallett has shown O'Brien that he could step into his system and run it right away, a claim Belichick made about him in his end of the season interview with Salk and Holley, then it would make sense for him to make that deal as he would get a QB who knows his system and has shown he can run it effectively, albeit in practice, which would put him well ahead of guys like Manziel and Bortles.

I realize people put a premium on draft picks but i am not so sure that any of the draft prospects at QB actually are better players than Mallett is. There is no Andrew Luck in this class and all of them have bust potential.

To be clear, I am not saying this is going to happen but I can see a realistic scenario where it could. Hopefully that is the case because the patriots could use that pick and Mallett is never going to be around long enough to succeed Brady, so it would be the best use of drafting him they could find imo.

So #1, #33 and Andre Johnson for Mallet? Sounds reasonable.

Actually I can see one scenario where he brings a second but none where he brings a first. That scenario is the one where Bill O'Brien believes Mallett can be a really good starter from his experience working with him in New England. If that is the case, and I am not claiming it is, then I could see O'Brien using their #33 to get Mallett from the Patriots and then using their #1 overall as either trade bait or to take the top rated prospect on their board, be that Clowney, or Robinson, etc.....

If Mallett has shown O'Brien that he could step into his system and run it right away, a claim Belichick made about him in his end of the season interview with Salk and Holley, then it would make sense for him to make that deal as he would get a QB who knows his system and has shown he can run it effectively, albeit in practice, which would put him well ahead of guys like Manziel and Bortles.

I realize people put a premium on draft picks but i am not so sure that any of the draft prospects at QB actually are better players than Mallett is. There is no Andrew Luck in this class and all of them have bust potential.

To be clear, I am not saying this is going to happen but I can see a realistic scenario where it could. Hopefully that is the case because the patriots could use that pick and Mallett is never going to be around long enough to succeed Brady, so it would be the best use of drafting him they could find imo.

I'd trade The Hammah to Houston swapping 2nds & 3rds in a heartbeat. That sweet spot top 2nd is where we find gems like Ras-I Dowling! Wait, on 2nd thought...

So #1, #33 and Andre Johnson for Mallet? Sounds reasonable.

Cousin,Ivan did not say that.

The premise was O' Brien knows Mallet. He can evaluate his talent or lack there of from his time here. Rather than waste a pick on the 2014 QB Draft Class that many of our junior GMS on this site have rated as the next Marino, Peyton and Farve, if O'Brien thinks Mallet can work his system, the #33 pick would be better than a fishing expedition on if any the the top three is an Jake Locker, Sanchez type or an Andrew Luck and you win then.

The Mallet haters are going to hate anyway, and they are all experts after all, but someone even mentioned Mallet was worth a first? No on that one I agree, but if the top three QB's are gone, maybe O'Brien feels comfortable with him at #33.

As far as BB, I have to give him the nod on his faith in Mallet and "probably" he won't be persuaded by anyone on this forum.

Why take the chance if you can Draft a blue chipper like Clowney or Sammy Watkins? Yet still get "potentially" a QB that is as good as any.
DW Toys

Houston's #65 pick seems fair. My guess is that is the highest anyone would pay. Personally, I don't think that Belichick would make the deal unless he could secure Hoyer.

I don't dispute your reasoning, with the exception that I can't imagine it being any higher than #65 myself. The hopes from everyone went from CLE for the past 2 years, shifting over to HOU now. All of the hopes remain in the lap of Bill O'Brien, so we'll have to hope that O'Brien sees it the way that others seem to. He may...and he may not.

One major obstacle that I do foresee is what kind of new pact HOU would offer to Ryan Mallett, as that is an issue that will continue to remain up in the air, and may very well be one that makes anyone on the fence lean towards going with a cheap draft pick instead. It's going to be quite a gamble to not only trade a 2nd/3rd round pick, but also pay him reasonable money to compete as a starter. That may not be something that people are ready to do just yet. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Houston's #65 pick seems fair. My guess is that is the highest anyone would pay. Personally, I don't think that Belichick would make the deal unless he could secure Hoyer.
If that's the case, the Patriots would have kept Mallett as a back up since he was drafted and improved the draft investment by 9 spots from his original Pick 74. That would be solid business if a suitable back up is found to replace him.

If that's the case, the Patriots would have kept Mallett as a back up since he was drafted and improved the draft investment by 9 spots from his original Pick 74. That would be solid business if a suitable back up is found to replace him.

The bolded last part of your post would be my concern, Aus.

Of course, we also don't really know Belichick's feelings about Mallett's potential either, and I think a lot of people here (sometimes including myself) feel that Mallett's potential may be better than it actually is.

One "good" thing is that he does at least have experience in the system though, and in this particular system, that probably goes a long way.

The bolded last part of your post would be my concern, Aus.

Of course, we also don't really know Belichick's feelings about Mallett's potential either, and I think a lot of people here (sometimes including myself) feel that Mallett's potential may be better than it actually is.

One "good" thing is that he does at least have experience in the system though, and in this particular system, that probably goes a long way.
To be honest, I'm not sure Belichick will trade Mallett unless the offer is too good to refuse. Most of the forum conversation regarding Mallett is more likely to be wishful thinking.

To be honest, I'm not sure Belichick will trade Mallett unless the offer is too good to refuse. Most of the forum conversation regarding Mallett is more likely to be wishful thinking.

Yep. It'd work out nicely if one of Hoyer or Cassel could return due to their knowledge of our scheme and ability to immediately step in.

The fact that Cassel just turned down the 3.7m final year salary makes me a bit leery that we'd have a realistic shot at getting him though. I'm wondering if he is holding out for more of a shot at competing to start?

Maybe Lombardi can fill us in on any read that he saw regarding the future of Brian Hoyer over there?

I don't dispute your reasoning, with the exception that I can't imagine it being any higher than #65 myself. The hopes from everyone went from CLE for the past 2 years, shifting over to HOU now. All of the hopes remain in the lap of Bill O'Brien, so we'll have to hope that O'Brien sees it the way that others seem to. He may...and he may not.

One major obstacle that I do foresee is what kind of new pact HOU would offer to Ryan Mallett, as that is an issue that will continue to remain up in the air, and may very well be one that makes anyone on the fence lean towards going with a cheap draft pick instead. It's going to be quite a gamble to not only trade a 2nd/3rd round pick, but also pay him reasonable money to compete as a starter. That may not be something that people are ready to do just yet. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Bench warmers and Splinter buts have worked out well in some cases. Oh...... take Unitas, Other guys may not be Hall of Fame but had good careers. "Matt" Hasselbeck He was drafted by the Green Bay Packers. After a season on the practice squad and two seasons backing up Brett Favre, he was traded to the Seattle Seahawks in 2001. Hasselbeck gained the starting role in 2003, and led Seattle to six playoff appearances and a Super Bowl appearance; he was selected to three Pro Bowls and an All-Pro selection.

Does Mallett have more talent that Hasselback?I don't know.

If Teams wait until Round 2 to take a QB because "the big three" scare them, let's use Mallett as mid back second rounder. His Draft value is 420 at #16 in the second. There are seven Teams that need a QB in front of that pick in Round 2.

So with that information I see his value at 420, Ridley as a value of the 26th pick in Round one (Trent Richardson value for sure) which is 700 and the Pats pick at 640=1,760 for a Browns value of 1,800.

Not saying the Pats would do this or the Browns. On paper it is fair enough. Think of the Pats flexibility to trade down or pick a blue chipper. This was my whole point of the thread.

Farve was selected in the first pick of the second round of the 1991 NFL Draft by Atlanta (33rd overall). He was traded to Green Bay on February 10, 1992, for the 19th pick in the 1992 NFL Draft. Brett went from 2nd to 1st. Yet ....Cousins, please note who hate on Mallett.........in his season at Atlanta he threw four passes, completed none and was picked off twice and sacked once...hmm.

Here is one observation:
"Ryan Mallett, New England Patriots/Brock Osweiler, Denver Broncos: Grouping these two together, because they’re both tall (Mallett’s 6-foot-6, Osweiler 6-7), strong-armed QBs stuck behind legends — Tom Brady in New England and Peyton Manning in Denver. Some people are really high on Mallett, despite the fact that he’s never thrown a regular-season pass. Maybe he should be higher"

Drafting a QB in the first round as stated by anyone of knowledge in the NFL, can set a program back for years if said QB fails, See: Sanchez, Locker, Ponder, Josh Freeman

NEWS OF THE DAY: Rumor-Josh Freeman to be traded to the Raiders to be their starting QB. How much better is this dude that Mallett? Who knows.

A second round pick for a back up QB who might have some value is not a bad deal. People look at Cassell. He was as horrible in pre season games as any QB here. He worked out well when Brady went down and if you remember, he got the Chiefs to the playoffs that next year at a second round pick up form the Pats. This guy was a back up at USC.

But you may be right. Houston and O'Brien are in the same boat. Lombardi is gone from the Browns and that might be a dead end. But O'Brien knows what Mallett can or cannot do.

Mallett for #33 to Houston? Worked well for may Teams in back up QB trades.

DW Toys

I love this forum's optimism! It's adorable!

Of course, no one outside New England thinks Mallett would even fetch a day 1 or 2 pick in return, but hey it's the offseason and we can dream. :D

Bench warmers and Splinter buts have worked out well in some cases. Oh...... take Unitas, Other guys may not be Hall of Fame but had good careers. "Matt" Hasselbeck He was drafted by the Green Bay Packers. After a season on the practice squad and two seasons backing up Brett Favre, he was traded to the Seattle Seahawks in 2001. Hasselbeck gained the starting role in 2003, and led Seattle to six playoff appearances and a Super Bowl appearance; he was selected to three Pro Bowls and an All-Pro selection.

Does Mallett have more talent that Hasselback?I don't know.

If Teams wait until Round 2 to take a QB because "the big three" scare them, let's use Mallett as mid back second rounder. His Draft value is 420 at #16 in the second. There are seven Teams that need a QB in front of that pick in Round 2.

So with that information I see his value at 420, Ridley as a value of the 26th pick in Round one (Trent Richardson value for sure) which is 700 and the Pats pick at 640=1,760 for a Browns value of 1,800.

Not saying the Pats would do this or the Browns. On paper it is fair enough. Think of the Pats flexibility to trade down or pick a blue chipper. This was my whole point of the thread.

Farve was selected in the first pick of the second round of the 1991 NFL Draft by Atlanta (33rd overall). He was traded to Green Bay on February 10, 1992, for the 19th pick in the 1992 NFL Draft. Brett went from 2nd to 1st. Yet ....Cousins, please note who hate on Mallett.........in his season at Atlanta he threw four passes, completed none and was picked off twice and sacked once...hmm.

Here is one observation:
"Ryan Mallett, New England Patriots/Brock Osweiler, Denver Broncos: Grouping these two together, because they’re both tall (Mallett’s 6-foot-6, Osweiler 6-7), strong-armed QBs stuck behind legends — Tom Brady in New England and Peyton Manning in Denver. Some people are really high on Mallett, despite the fact that he’s never thrown a regular-season pass. Maybe he should be higher"

Drafting a QB in the first round as stated by anyone of knowledge in the NFL, can set a program back for years if said QB fails, See: Sanchez, Locker, Ponder, Josh Freeman

NEWS OF THE DAY: Rumor-Josh Freeman to be traded to the Raiders to be their starting QB. How much better is this dude that Mallett? Who knows.

A second round pick for a back up QB who might have some value is not a bad deal. People look at Cassell. He was as horrible in pre season games as any QB here. He worked out well when Brady went down and if you remember, he got the Chiefs to the playoffs that next year at a second round pick up form the Pats. This guy was a back up at USC.

But you may be right. Houston and O'Brien are in the same boat. Lombardi is gone from the Browns and that might be a dead end. But O'Brien knows what Mallett can or cannot do.

Mallett for #33 to Houston? Worked well for may Teams in back up QB trades.

DW Toys

So how much would you give Ryan Mallett on a new deal then?

There's no way you're going to give up a high round draft pick to watch him test the waters of free agency, so you'll have to sign him to a brand new deal. Anyone who is going to give up a 2nd round pick is surely doing so in the hopes that he'll be the starter, right? I mean, you don't part with 2nd round picks so they can be backup QBs.

So....basically there's a huge grey area from about 4m dollars per year and about 12m dollars per year that BOTH Mallett and the new team's GM would have to agree to. Obviously, Mallett isn't going to want a cheap deal if he's planning on being a starter, and any GM is going to be leery about opening up the checkbook too much due to the fact that they really have no idea whatsoever regarding whether Mallett will play one game or lead them to the SB.

That compensation may be the most difficult aspect for both parties to agree to, considering that it's such an enormous gamble.

2014 NFL Draft Rumors - WalterFootball.com

1/26: "Teams that WalterFootball.com has heard could be interested in trading for Roethlisberger include the Houston Texans and Arizona Cardinals. The Texans selection at the top of the second round and a 2015 conditional pick could mimic what the Chiefs gave for Alex Smith last year. For more on the Ben Roethlisberger trade rumor, click the link." - Charlie Campbell

WalterFootball.com: NFL Draft Rumor Mill

Ben Roethlisberger Trade Market Rumors
Published Jan. 24, 2014
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Like last year, this draft doesn't feature an elite quarterback prospect such as Andrew Luck, Cam Newton or Matthew Stafford. Thus, some of the quarterback-needy teams at the top of draft are considering the veteran quarterback market for a solution to their problem. The turnaround success of the Chiefs after trading for Alex Smith last season serves as an example of what a veteran quarterback can do for a team.

One quarterback to keep an eye on for a potential trade market is Steelers veteran Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger turns 32 in March and is entering the final year of his contract. Sources have told WalterFootball.com that there is some reluctance of the Rooney family to give Roethlisberger another big contract. Pittsburgh has had a history of letting pricey veterans leave when they hit the later years of their career, and Roethlisberger's off-the-field issues haven't been forgotten by ownership. At 32 years old, this is Pittsburgh's last shot at having quality trade value for him. The Steelers also have an aging defense that needs to be rebuilt, and they could decide to start a youth movement in Pittsburgh.

In speaking to Roethlisberger's camp, their priority is for him to re-sign with the Steelers and they want him to finish his career in Pittsburgh. However, they also want a big pay day. They want Roethlisberger to be paid like the other top quarterbacks in the NFL, and they know that this is his last shot at a big contract in Roethlisberger's career. If the Steelers aren't willing to pay it, they would be willing to look elsewhere for it.

Teams that WalterFootball.com has heard could be interested in trading for Roethlisberger include the Houston Texans and Arizona Cardinals. The Texans selection at the top of the second round and a 2015 conditional pick could mimic what the Chiefs gave for Alex Smith last year. Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians coached Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh, and Arizona could use Roethlisberger to put the Cardinals over the top to get into the postseason in the NFL's toughest division.

A trade market for Roethlisberger hasn't started started cooking yet, but the ingredients are in place. There are interested teams, a pricey contract and reluctant ownership. Once the contract negotiations begin, don't be surprised if trade discussions pick up some steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back