PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It may not be as crazy as you think. Who you trade for the Browns first round pick #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: It may not be as crazy as you think. Who you trade for the Browns first round pic

Living in Pittsburgh, I'd be outright shocked if the Steelers cut him without any kind of viable replacement. The rumor around here is that he's much more likely to be extended if they wish to free up cap space, rather than cut or traded. (EDIT: ATippett56 prefers that I remove the word "cut," which is reasonable--even though it has nothing to do with the point that the owner recently said that they're working on an extension and that it will happen soon)

Here is an article from a few weeks ago from owner Art Rooney, who says that the extension "will happen for sure" this spring.

Steelers president: Contract extension for Ben Roethlisberger will*happen | SI Wire

Re: It may not be as crazy as you think. Who you trade for the Browns first round pic

Living in Pittsburgh, I'd be outright shocked if the Steelers cut him without any kind of viable replacement. The rumor around here is that he's much more likely to be extended if they wish to free up cap space, rather than cut or traded.
Who wrote the word "cut"? The article stated the word "trade".

Who wrote the word "cut"? The article stated the word "trade".

The word "cut" will be removed and edited--although I said cut/traded meaning that he wouldn't be playing there; but the point is that I posted an article that claims the exact opposite, so that's what matters. Why the hell would the Pittsburgh Steelers trade their franchise QB? They could've let a mid-level talent walk in Sanders last season for a 3rd, and didn't even choose to do that.

Rooney was on the news here yesterday talking about the situation, and said that they'd never consider getting rid of Roethlisberger, and don't believe in having seasons where they throw the towel in since they are always highly competitive even when they don't make the playoffs.

If PIT had another QB in terms of a backup instead of last year's rookie mid round pick who never saw a snap, it may be a different story. Even if they had kept vet journeyman Charlie Batch, it may be a different story. Unless they are planning on running the ball on every single play, I don't see how they'd get around losing their franchise QB coming off of one of his highest completion rates in his career, in a season where he threw almost 30 TD passes.

If they want to save/free up cap room, they could look to getting rid of many other over the hill players instead, including Polamalu's high cap hit.

Rooney was on the news here yesterday talking about the situation, and said that they'd never consider getting rid of Roethlisberger, and don't believe in having seasons where they throw the towel in since they are always highly competitive even when they don't make the playoffs.

If PIT had another QB in terms of a backup instead of last year's rookie mid round pick who never saw a snap, it may be a different story.
An aging defense, bloated contracts, an offense in disarray. A perfect storm to literally blow up a team and rebuild.

An aging defense, bloated contracts, an offense in disarray. A perfect storm to literally blow up a team and rebuild.

GM Kevin Colbert's comments from yesterday:

"We're never going to say, 'we know we're not a contender.'
"

They should've made the playoffs last year at 8-8 if the refs didn't screw them, and despite being 10m over the cap at the moment, they're actually in a better situation cap-wise than they've been in for awhile around this time of year. Some of those recent teams had 20-25m to get under the cap with.

With rising stars such as Antonio Brown and Le'veon Bell, they'll probably always at least be competing for a wildcard spot. Taking your franchise QB out of the equation doesn't seem to make much sense when you can just as easily extend him (which is what they said they are doing) to help to free up cap space.

They should just consider cutting older has-beens like Troy Polamalu unless he's willing to take a pay cut. Ike Taylor is another candidate who would free up 7m in cap space. I'm sure there are others on the defensive side of the ball who need to go as well, since their aging defense seems to be the problem.

Whatever article you're referencing is likely just playing on the Bruce Arians connection in Arizona. As Arians himself stated a couple of weeks ago, "why would I want to replace Carson Palmer after the year we just had?"

GM Kevin Colbert's comments from yesterday:

"We're never going to say, 'we know we're not a contender.'
"

With rising stars such as Antonio Brown and Le'veon Bell, they'll probably always at least be competing for a wildcard spot. Taking your franchise QB out of the equation doesn't seem to make much sense when you can just as easily extend him (which is what they said they are doing) to help to free up cap space.
Aside from Maurkice Pouncey, none of the other offensive lineman have lived up to expectations. An offense cannot function without a viable offensive line.

They should just consider cutting older has-beens like Troy Polamalu unless he's willing to take a pay cut. Ike Taylor is another candidate who would free up 7m in cap space. I'm sure there are others on the defensive side of the ball who need to go as well, since their aging defense seems to be the problem.
Between Polamalu, Taylor, Larry Foote, Brett Keisel, Ryan Clark the Pittsburgh defense has regressed due to age. Ziggy Hood was a major disappointment. The Pittsburgh defense is in need of a major overhaul.

Blow It Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back