PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It may not be as crazy as you think. Who you trade for the Browns first round pick #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: It may not be as crazy as you think. Who you trade for the Browns first round pic

If you look hard enough you can find a pundit that said anything you want. The people that make the decisions for the various teams of the NFL apparently found him to be a 3rd round caliber pick.
According to this logic, I'm just as much of an "unknown" as all those players you mentioned.

But as far as actual, you know, talent is concerned, Mallett is far and away the lesser of all those names you mentioned. If he was thrown back into the draft this May, he'd still be home waiting for a phone call on day 3.

The larger issue here is that Mallett has sat on his butt and not played football for 3 years.
In addition to giving no play to judge him on, a player who is 3 years older and 3 years inactive is not as good a propsect as a rookie.

Re: It may not be as crazy as you think. Who you trade for the Browns first round pic

Last year of their contracts might be advantageous. If they suck, bounce them. You got enough wampum for the trade. If Bridgewater sucks, do you want to pay him four years if you are the Browns ?(see Weedon)

Rookie QB's get at least two years before judgments are made on them. With the current structure of the rookie wage scale, these high draft picks being "busts" aren't as franchise crippling salary cap wise as they were before. If you take Bridgewater at 4 you're not giving him a 60 million dollar contract with unbelievable cap hits for the next four seasons.

And contracts aren't as valuable in the NFL as they are in the NBA(which is where I think you're trying to go with this point.) Cutting NFL players isn't a big deal and teams have no issue in doing so. So whether a guy is in his last year or has three more years left, if he's not living up to his deal a team will dump him, no questions ask.

The larger issue here is that Mallett has sat on his butt and not played football for 3 years.
In addition to giving no play to judge him on, a player who is 3 years older and 3 years inactive is not as good a propsect as a rookie.

I agree with you, and I'm not sure if you've already touched on this or not, but I'd also add the financial decision into the mix as well. I think that is a big obstacle as well.

Paying a rookie peanuts would obviously be a much better choice than a GM attempting to guess how much money to offer Ryan Mallett in the last year of his deal, and common sense would point to a new deal getting done until the idea of sacrificing a high round pick in trade.

WOW a debate here. Aaron Rodgers was a backup. For 3 yrs. It boils down to talent/intelligence. Has this thread taught us anything at all?? IT HAS not and its sad cuz the patriots could lose the division. Or still Lose the bye and get knocked out of wildcard rouNd. WowWe are sitting here discuss elite talent they have that we would love to have. THEN WE DISCUSS ALL THE DRAFTPICKS THEY HAVE.THE BRILLIANT MOVE OF TRADING RICHARDSON. ALL IN A YR OF A GOOD DRAFT!! WHAT DID WE DO IN 2011?! A yyr loaded!! We came away with good LT,NOT ELITE YET,2rbs, a qb yet to return ANYthing. And a bust at cb!!!! Even Heath Evans who admires,looks up to billichick hints to squandering that draft. We could have traded up and came away with an impact player or 2. At least an elite passrusher like watt or quinn. Instead Bellichick waits another til his back is against and trades up for jones up for jones and Hightower!! Jones is a good passrusher but not in the class of Watt or Quinn and Hightower isn't so much honerable mention when naming the best young LBs. WOWThe only true impact player we have drafted GronkowsKi MISSES half the games. ALL I HEAR IS TO RESIGN EDELMAN!!ANOTHER WR IN A LONG LINE TO BENEFIT FROM BRADY AND THE SYSTEM TO CATCH 105 BONES/GLORIFIED HANDOFFS. WHAT DID HE DO IN DENVER GAME. DOES HE SCARE DEFENSES?? WHAT WOULD HE HAVE DONE AGAINST SEATTLE?? HILTON TORCHED SEATTLE,COULD EDELMAN DO THAT?? YET INDY RECOGNIZES THE NEED TO UPGRADE AT WR. NOT OUR TEAM. ITS ALL RESIGN EDELMAN!!!! I shouldn't be against Edelman being our #4 option In the slot we have garunteed dollars payed to who is as good or better.

There are at least 3 teams in the nfl BETTER than us. All looking to add impact talent to catch Seattle and they are Serious bout making necessary improvements to win the superbowl trophy. Then there are several other teams up and coming who just need their talent to mature. Then they are looking to vastly improve. Some of them dont realize how good they already are and judt need a year to to work together,yet they still want to improve!! We need talent!! Already handcuffed by late picks every year,we squander picks we cant afford if we plan to stay elite. NOW AFTER ALL THIS WE WANT TO HOLD ONTO INJURED VETS LIKE WILFORK AND PAY BELOW AVERAGE TALENT STARTER DOLLAR'S. WOWLIKE GREGORY,CONNOLLY AND NOW WILFORK. IF THEY BRING THE 375lb GUY BACK ALONG WITH BELOW AVERAGE GUYS LIKE GREGORY,CONNOLLY,NINKO, A.WILSON,SOPAGA,AND WENDALL AND RESTRUCTURE OVERPAYED GUYS LIKE MAYO,MANKINS AND EVEN GRONK(due to missing games)then they wont bring in some decent players. EVERYBODY THINKS BRADY CAN MAGICALLY DO IT HIMSELF ALL THE TIME!! He IS 36 THEY NEED TO SURROUND HIM WITH SOME TALENT BEFORE HE CONSIDERS ANOTHER TEAM TALENTED NEEDING THE PASSER. EVERBODY EXPECTS BELLICHICK TO MAGICALLY OVERCOME LACK OF TALENT OR WEAPONS. WE NEED COUPLE DEFENSIVE PLAYERS THE MANAGEMENT CAN DECIDE. THEN BEFORE JETS OR FISH TAKE THE DIVISION WE NEED JUST ONE ELITE TALENT ON OFFENSE WITH ONE OLINEMAN TO SURPASS ALL AND STAY BETTER THAN OTHERS!!

LUCKY,WE HAVE TOM TO MAGNIFY TALENT WE BRING ABOARD. WE BETTER GET AN IMPACT WR CUZ I PROMISE DENVER WILL ALONG WITH RIVALS PHINS,DOLPHINS!!!! WE CANT KEEP WASTING PICKS AND SIGNING GARBAGE IN FREE AGENCY!!!! OTHER TEAMS ARE MAKING QUALITY IMPROVEMENTS. ITS GOING TO TAKE THE FANS NOT JUST ROOTING FOR OTHER TEAMS IN THE SUPER BOWL BUT THE PLAYOFFS ALTOGETHER!!!!

NOW THAT we have established that therES AT least 3 teams better than us without debate and several others building elite talent close to surpassing,and looking to further improve their roster we can finally Agree that we need to add an elite playMAKER. JUST ONCE FOR A CHANGE GIVE BRADY SOME HELP. He will be 37 and the bar has been raised in the NFL with some very dominating defenses with physical deFENSIVE backfields,menacing passrushes and Lbs that run and cover and run like safeties. We could have easily been 9-7!! KC and the Browns are loadIng!! EVEN JETS AND PHINS IMPROVED AND ARE EXPECTED TO BE ACTIVE IN FREE AGENCY. BRADY AT 37 can STILL RIFLE IT well over 60 yrds WITH NICE RELEASE AND GREAT ACCURACY. HOWEVER WE CANT KEEP EXPECTING HIM TO PUT UP POINTS AND TURN JULIAN EDELMAN INTO TORRY HOLT!!!! Theres FANS WHO OVERVALUE HOMETEAM SENTIMENTAL AND THINK HE IS HAS TORRY HOLT POTENTIAL. ANYWAYS LETS NOT WASTE BRADYS PRIME!!SERIOUSLY!!

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS BLAH BLAH. NOWIF HIGH FLYING OFFENSES HAD OLINES TO MATCH ATTITUDES WITH DEFENSES. WE HAVE AN OLINE THAT IF STAYS HEALTHY IS ONE PLAYER AWAY FROM DOMINATING!! A RG OR CENTER WHO DOMINATES WITH POWER QUICKNESS AND MAULS DLINEMAN. IT SETS A TONE AGAINST DEFENSES AND GIVES BRADY MORE TIME AND CONFIDENCE!!!! MORE IMPORTANTLYWE HAVEN'T TIME TO DEVELOP KIDS AT WR MUCH LESS WAIT AND SEE IF THEY BECOME BUSTS IN COUPLE SEASONS WHEN BRADY MAY NOT BE ALL PRO. WE NEED A COMPLETE TRUE #1 in 2014 MOST TOP WR FA TALENT HAVE CONCERNS BOUT SKILLS DUE TO MULTIPLE IR TRIPS JUST LIKE ROOKIES WE HAVENT TIL THE END OF 2014 CAMPAIGN TO DISCOVER IF THEY ARE A #1!!! THERES NOWAY AROUND IT WE MUST TRADE FOR A TALENTED WR!! THE BEST OPTION FOR THE NE PATRIOTS IS JUSTIN BLACKMON. HE HAS REDICULOUS TALENT THAT WILL TRICKLE THROUGH OFFENSE!! HE IS UNDER ROOKIE DOLLARS AND HIS VALUE HAS DROPPED. HE IS A BARGAIN COMPARED TO THE COST OF A #1 THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO ACQUIRE A LEGIT SUREFIRE #1WR. WE HAVE THE ENVIRONMENT TO PROMOTE HIM TO STAY CLEAN!! Brady HAS THE QB SKILLS TO MAKE THE TRICKLEDOWN EFFECT HE WILL HAVE ON THE OFFENSE TO WORK!! IF DEFENSES TRY TRIPLE COVERING HIM,BRADY HAS THE COMMAND OF THE WHOLE FIELD TO EXPLOIT THE EFFECTS HE BRINGS TO OFFENSE AND MAKE IT EVEN MORE DANGEROUS. BRRADY IS THE BEST AT FIELD CONTROL HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!! IF THE TRIPLE BLACKMON HE WILL MAKE THEM PAY. HA VING A TRUE #1 REALLY PLAYS TO BRADYS STRENGHS!! A BIG FAST COMPLETE #1 WILL BENEFIT BRADY AND BE REDICULOSLY MORE DANGEROUS AND EXPLOSIVE TO BRADY THAN ANY OTHER QB/TEAM!!!!!! IF THEY EVEN ATTEMPT TO TAKE BLACKMON AWAY BRADY WILL POISON THEIR DEFENSE!!!! A COMPLETE#1 WILL BENEFIT BRADY MORE THAN ANY OTHER QB IN THE NFL!!!!! ITS SO SILLY TO NOT EVER GIVE HIM A #1. NOT ONLY THAT A CLEAN FOCUSED JUSTIN BLACKMON UNDER BRADY/BELLICHIck IS THE MOST EXPLOSIVE NATURAL PASSCATCHER IN THE NFL!!!!

TO WIN THE SUPERBOWL MEANS BEING THE BEST IN THE NFL NO EXCEPTIONS!! THERE ARE SEVERAL TEAMS BETTER THAN THE PATRIOTS AND THEY WANT THAT TROPHY TO!!!! WE HAVE TO MAKE BOLD UPGRADE TO OUR TEAM. NOWBRADY HAS THE TALENTS TO MAGNIFY A #!!!!

MAGNIFY#1WR!!! That is

superpats: Everyone else is capable of making their point without walls of text.

There is not a single trade scenario on this planet that would enable us to acquire the 4th overall pick in this draft. Unless you're talking something ridiculous like this years first, next years first, this years second, Mallett and Chandler Jones.

Mallett is literally at absolute best a third rounder. And that's if the opposing GM had too many to drink the night before.

I don't disagree with your valuations, but it's important to note that it only takes one drunken GM.

Remember, Brett Favre was traded for a 1st-rounder despite 0 starts. That worked out pretty well for Green Bay.

And more recently, the Chargers got a 3rd-rounder (plus swap of 2nd-round picks) for their 3rd-string QB, Charlie Whitehurst.

Jerry Jones (the poster boy for drunken GMs) also gave up a 3rd for Drew Henson, who hadn't even been playing football for several years.

So it only takes one fool...and the Browns fans know they've had their share of fools... :singing:

Ryan Mallet + my cousin for pick #4

superpats: Everyone else is capable of making their point without walls of text.

and caps lock.

I ignored everything he said,

Cousins,
Just doing a little home work. The Browns as still a QB away(although Hoyer played well). They have two first rounders with #26 from the Colts. They also need a RB pretty badly.

Knowing Lombardi has always like Mallet, would you offer up both Mallet and RB Stevan Ridley for the Browns first round pick at #4? I think it's fair.

Thoughts?
Just think of the options: If the Draft goes Bortles, Matthews and Bridgewater, you have Clowney and Watkins to pick from. I might throw is a our first rounder and see if we can pry TE Jordan Cameron from them.

Its not as nuts as it sounds. The Browns still get two first rounders, Mallet and Ridley for their own at #4 and Cameron.

Can the Browns count on a Bridgewater who is lighter than advertised or Manziel to mature fast enough?

I would suspect Mallet still has the best arm of those three. In Cleveland, a big arm QB is important on the lake. If they resign Mack (plenty of CAP room), the Browns O Line might be better than the Patriots in all reality.

Interesting thought? Or not?

DW Toys
You need to put the pipe down for awhile.

You need to put the pipe down for awhile.

I'm cutting down.
DW Toys

Not going to happen, we can start to dream with a trade from 3rd round on

Actually Browns can be a good trading partner, look at their picks

1st Round Pick:
1st Round Pick (IND):
2nd Round Pick:
3rd Round Pick:
3rd Round Pick (PIT):
4th Round Pick:
4th Round Pick (IND):
5th Round Pick:
6th Round Pick:
7th Round Pick:

They're lock and loaded to make a splash and considering the fact that the Ravens and Steelers are far away from being top contenders and Cincinatti are pretenders, with the right piece under center they can look for a 9 win season at least.

The question is who will be this qb

Stop that crazy #4 overall talk...I would take the Browns Two 3rd Round Picks for Mallett.

Stop that crazy #4 overall talk...I would take the Browns Two 3rd Round Picks for Mallett.

Agreed, I would even take one 3rd round pick for Mallet at this point.

That wouldn't be a bad return, either. You spend a third round pick, get a few years of capable backup quarterbacking, then get a third round pick back at the end of it. Not the return that everyone hoped for when Mallett was drafted, but realistically it's probably the best that we'll get.

Patsfans posters get more delusional by the day...:rolleyes:

I would too. Said so last year but both times with the caveat that a serviceable vet FA QB2 could be signed. My Hoyer & Cassel return to Momma fantasies have crashed.

Just to pile on here... I would gladly take a third round pick for Mallett, and probably even a fourth.

Why do so many threads by the OP make me think of Patsy Cline singing "Crazy"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back