PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Tom Coughlin or Bill Belichick the NFL's best coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither coach is the best. Jerry Reese deserves allot of credit for putting allot of talent on that roster. Not to under-rate coughlin, I just feel a fair amount of credit should go to the Ny GM, mostly for having a philosophy and finding those pieces that fit that. This staff has been too cautious at the most critical times and I feel as though they have lost their "closers" edge. Then again, they have'nt been able to replace Rodney H on the back end, IMO Safety is one of the most important positions for the current NFL.

THIS YEAR AND RIGHT NOW......It's Mike Smith

As long as the Falcons remain unbeaten,the years best coach is Smith

Coughlin and Eli are bubble Hall of Famers. One more Super Bowl and they are 1st ballots, just like our boys. The Giants right now are everything we wish the Pats could be. Giants right now have a better offense and defense than the Pats. No non-Pats fan would take Brady over Eli in a big game. It is what it is.

The pats have the number 1 offense in the nfl

PATRIOTSFANINPA said:
THIS YEAR AND RIGHT NOW......It's Mike Smith

As long as the Falcons remain unbeaten,the years best coach is Smith

I wont put him in the category of 'beat coach' until he shows he can actually win a playoff game

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

Is there a game of any kind tonight? if there is the winning coach of whatever team in whatever sport is the NFL's best coach. Tomorrow the winner of the Thursday night game will be the NFL's best coach. The winner of the first game to end on Sunday will then be the NFL's best coach, followed in succession by the coach of each winning team.

Their HC > our HC;;
Their FO > our FO;
Their assistants > our assistants;
Their defense > our defense;
Their STs > our STs;
and I'm this close to saying that their QB > our QB.

My .02 cents:

If you're comparing their entire careers, there's no question Belichick > Coughlin.

But if you're looking at recent 5 years, then I'm not going to laugh at people who choose Coughlin. 2 SBs and beat BB head to head is pretty remarkable. Not to mention he had his Giant team in 07 better prepared against a vastly superior Patriot team, and again in 11. Although I think last year, the talent difference was a bit more even. I would still choose our team just because we have a better QB.

To me, BB is more consistent game in and game out. But Coughlin seems to be able to conjure up remarkable game plans when the post season comes around and get his players to execute them.

Two weeks ago they were the same old maddeningly inconsistent Giants. What a difference a trip to Cleveland and a drubbing of the 49ers makes. Tom Coughlin is an old school coach who rubs many modern era players the wrong way. Team was on the verge of mutinying on him in 2007 until Strahan of all people called for a truce. Their play down the stretch coupled with the talent and depth they had in their front 4 and a ballsy young DC gave them a shot at beating an undefeated team that was so worn down by the constant pressure of it's own season for the ages on the heels of spygate. Tom had little to do with that. I have seldom seen a coach who appears so consistently befuddled by his own teams performance on a week to week basis. At times he looks like he'd just as soon strangle the whole lot of them, Eli included. And he careens between on the hot seat and headed towards Canton more than any HC in the last several seasons other than Reid. His players just seem to have an ability to intermittently come together as if they had it figured out all along... Somehow I get the sense that has more to do with them than him. It's a far different dynamic than the one we routinely witness in NE.

and this surprises you???....the past three decades have seen a 10,000% increase in ADHD and instant gratification at any cost...2 weeks ago may as well be the Stone Age....if/then NOW or else it's all crap that should be instantly fired and all new anything brought in. It's a world of naked people screaming the "Emperor has no clothes!"....gone are the days of win or lose, we're all brothers of the red white and blue...to the end. Today it's "50 dollars to park, 300 a ticket, a hundred or two for stadium food that sold for a buck in 1985 and I get the chance to boo loudly, tell people to shut up and don't cheer the team and talk about why I, a ****** fake azz tough guy cubicle dweeb sitting in a stuffy accounts receivable office all week am better qualified to run the Patriots than THEIR own educated choice.

The genie is out of the bottle. When a complete joke of a laughingstock who took a shotgun, stuck it in his mouth and blew his brains out with THIS statement...

"On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sack last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon."

when THIS complete hack is getting fan support NOW and the local media are pimping him shamelessly about "Ron is right!!!!" then you KNOW the Patriot run has jumped the shark. Nothing will satisfy the segment of entrenched chicken littles and blind Belichick haters now, save a complete destruction of the entire organizational structure. Yeah, nothing lasts forever but why does it always end with a gaggling throng of submongoloids screaming for blood every time a cloud appears in the sky?

Two weeks ago they were the same old maddeningly inconsistent Giants. What a difference a trip to Cleveland and a drubbing of the 49ers makes. Tom Coughlin is an old school coach who rubs many modern era players the wrong way. Team was on the verge of mutinying on him in 2007 until Strahan of all people called for a truce. Their play down the stretch coupled with the talent and depth they had in their front 4 and a ballsy young DC gave them a shot at beating an undefeated team that was so worn down by the constant pressure of it's own season for the ages on the heels of spygate. Tom had little to do with that. I have seldom seen a coach who appears so consistently befuddled by his own teams performance on a week to week basis. At times he looks like he'd just as soon strangle the whole lot of them, Eli included. And he careens between on the hot seat and headed towards Canton more than any HC in the last several seasons other than Reid. His players just seem to have an ability to intermittently come together as if they had it figured out all along... Somehow I get the sense that has more to do with them than him. It's a far different dynamic than the one we routinely witness in NE.

This post is so far from being objective. You've actually reduced Coughlins role as someone who is just along for the ride. Holy crap man.

Two very different coaches here and I think their styles reflect in the players and franchise. You have BB who controls his players and somewhat their emotions. This results in a very steady team without very high peaks and valleys.

Then you have Coughlin who lets his players more or less do and say whatever they want. Then those players play with high emotion. Sometimes they suck, sometimes they do great.

BB has had far longer and much more sustained success. Have you ever seen a media member publish a story about firing BB that actually got traction? The playoffs really are a crap shoot statistically, it's unfortunate that it means so much to people's legacies.

i think Coughlin is a great coach and probably should have not been under the firing gun in 2007 and 2011, well that is NY tho . . .

with that said, when i look at greatness i look at consistency and beating all comers to the board and if one can do that, then he is great . . . otherwise one can be viewed as that blind squirrel finding a nut . . .

last year, if the giants play in any division but their own and AFC west, they are not even in the playoffs . . . so Coughlin got lucky to make it to the playoffs, as opposed to season long winning games to get in the playoffs . . . in 2007 if the gmen are in the AFC they likely dont make the playoffs (plus they got to play dallas in the playoffs) . . . so true they won two SBs in years, but their birth to the playoffs has as much to do with thier location in the nfls divisions are opposed to them, throughout a 16 game season, winning enough games to win a PO spot regardless of where they are at, say going 12-4 or something . . .'

so sure they had two great runs in Jan/Feb 08, 12 but other than those 8 games they are a middle of the pack team . . . so for me, as much as I like Coughlin i like BB more . . .

put it a different way . . . Put the Pats in any division in football and put the Giants in any division in football and who do you think will have more success? For me is BB . . .

Tough call, but being a Pats fan I better go with BB. Both have had a ton of success but BB has the edge is fielding a top team for 10plus years in a row andd getting most out of his players.

Tough call, but being a Pats fan I better go with BB. Both have had a ton of success but BB has the edge is fielding a top team for 10plus years in a row andd getting most out of his players.

Unless its the secondary.

I think the Giants have a sharp edge for developing receivers and of course drafting defensive lineman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST