PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Tom Coughlin or Bill Belichick the NFL's best coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick's record as Pats HC is 142-56 with 3 SB wins.

Coughlin's record as NYG HC is 78-56 with 2 SB wins

Coughlin would have to go unbeaten the next four years (64-0) and win a SB to match his NYG record with BB's current record with the Pats.

Coughlin has zero playoff wins with the Giants other than the two SB winning years.

So yeah, Coughlin in a landslide.

Last edited:
rex to his credit is a great defensive coach. That can't be denied.

It's just the other parts he sucks at.

Please explain how it is undeniable that he is a great defensive coach.
He took over a great defense in Baltimore and it did worse under him than his predecessors.
His 3rd year in NY his defense has evolved into 20th in points, and this year it is clearly a far below average group.

It is undeniable that Ryan has been given some great defensive players to work with, and very debatable whether he elevated them at all.

The Giants are the type of team I wish the Patriots were.
Big road wins, impact defense, impact running game (Bradshaw ran for 100 + on the 49er D), balanced offense with a clutch QB, mentally tough and resilient.
Giants are everything I want in my football team.
Patriots got a ways to go.

Tom Coughlin does not get the credit he deserves.
Bill Belichick gets far too much credit.

for a career? belichick. in recent memory? coughlin.

also...don't know how extensive coughlins power is...but if he is heavily involved with personnel acquisition and the draft...he is a better overall talent evaluator.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

impact running game (Bradshaw ran for 100 + on the 49ers d)

to be fair...before that browns game...bradshaw/giants run game had been a disappointment lately (last couple years)

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

Please explain how it is undeniable that he is a great defensive coach.
He took over a great defense in Baltimore and it did worse under him than his predecessors.
His 3rd year in NY his defense has evolved into 20th in points, and this year it is clearly a far below average group.

It is undeniable that Ryan has been given some great defensive players to work with, and very debatable whether he elevated them at all.

Remember when his scheme somehow shut down the patriots in the playoffs?

It amazing that The jets injured defense is still better than the patriots.......you could make the argument bill is the one who's overrated defensively..........i won't go there.

Last edited:
Remember when his scheme somehow shut down the patriots in the playoffs?

It amazing that The jets injured defense is still better than the patriots.......you could make the argument bill is the one who's overrated defensively..........i won't go there.

to be fair...the difference lies in secondaries. NE's front 7 is way better than NY's...but Ny gives up way less in the air. jets lost revis...but cromartie is still legit. and i'd take their safeties over ours currently.

not discrediting rex...i think he is a good d-coach.

man...if we replaced arrington with cromartie, and chung with bell or landry...wed probably have a top 10 defense...or the coaches would find a way to **** that up as well.

Has anyone mentioned the 1997 AFC Championship game?

Bill Belichick's defense shut down Tom Coughlin's team. Shut them down cold.

I'd say Belichick certainly outcoached Coughlin that day.

Right now, It's Coughlin. His teams have won two of the past 5 Superbowls. Over their course of their careers it would be Belichick.

Last edited:
I try not to chime in on stupid topics, but this thread is so disrespectful to BB. This man, is hands down the best coach on the in NFL.

The giants sucked in a few games, and suddenly win a good game and we are talking about this? Its the NFL, a team can come out one week and lose to the worst team, then the next destroy the best team.

A few lucky bounces in one superbowl. ( I mean, every SINGLE giants fumble went right back to them) and a lucky helmet catch in the other and suddenly this dude, who is about to get fired every year is better than the man him self?

Ge the F out of here with this garbage.

I try not to chime in on stupid topics, but this thread is so disrespectful to BB. This man, is hands down the best coach on the in NFL.

The giants sucked in a few games, and suddenly win a good game and we are talking about this? Its the NFL, a team can come out one week and lose to the worst team, then the next destroy the best team.

A few lucky bounces in one superbowl. ( I mean, every SINGLE giants fumble went right back to them) and a lucky helmet catch in the other and suddenly this dude, who is about to get fired every year is better than the man him self?

Yep, 10-6 in 2007, 9-7 last year and rumored to be close to getting fired both years. I'm so tired of everyone needing to be rank and compare everything and then basing it only on the very last thing that happened.

If there's a time of the season where individual wins are weighted heavily, it's the post-season. Coughlin's teams have won 2 of the 5 last Superbowls. Right now, he's the best coach in the NFL.

Now, that said BB still has the better career.

Last edited:
If there's a time of the season where individual wins are weighted heavily, it's the post-season. Coughlin's teams have won 2 of the 5 last Superbowls. Right now, he's the best coach in the NFL.

Now, that said BB still has the better career.

luckiest coach in Superbowl? Maybe, best, uh, no.

I was just talking about this the other day. If Football had best of 7 playoffs, (not counting the fact that it cant happen or else every player would be crippled.) the Patriots would win the superbowl every year hands down.

Belichick still, Coughlin and the giants will probably disappoint until he's on the hot seat again lol.

Coughlin and Eli are bubble Hall of Famers. One more Super Bowl and they are 1st ballots, just like our boys. The Giants right now are everything we wish the Pats could be. Giants right now have a better offense and defense than the Pats. No non-Pats fan would take Brady over Eli in a big game. It is what it is.

Last edited:
The Giants are the type of team I wish the Patriots were.
Big road wins, impact defense, impact running game (Bradshaw ran for 100 + on the 49er D), balanced offense with a clutch QB, mentally tough and resilient.
Giants are everything I want in my football team.
Patriots got a ways to go.

Tom Coughlin does not get the credit he deserves.
Bill Belichick gets far too much credit.

Pretty much what I just wrote. The Pats WERE the Giants of today.

For those putting Coughlin ahead of BB, would you put Eli ahead of Brady?

You can make the same argument for Eli that despite the career accolades and Brady's better current stats (much like BB's better record than Coughlin since '07), Eli has the head to head advantage and has been more clutch since '07. Both of those game winning drives were hands on orchestrated by him, not Coughlin.

I was just talking about this the other day. If Football had best of 7 playoffs, (not counting the fact that it cant happen or else every player would be crippled.) the Patriots would win the superbowl every year hands down.

Not the year they beat the Rams.

The way the NFL is, it's rare to win the SB without a combination of luck, good timing and talent. The Giants getting "lucky bounces" wouldn't matter if good coaching didn't put them in a position to take advantage of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes