PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Tom Coughlin or Bill Belichick the NFL's best coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Tom Coughlin is a very good coach. But the Giants are still one of the most inconsistent teams in the league and always have been. They play up and down to their competition.

If you believe that players and coaches are really "better" in the playoffs, Coughlin might be your guy, although there's still a strong argument for Belichick. If you think that the playoffs is basically a small sample pool (like Billy Beane and myself) that requires a lot of luck, then Coughlin isn't even close.

In recent SBs matchups its Coughlin, but over all BB, and its not even close. The Giants wax and wane, every few years they come up to take a shot at the SB (5 years), BB has his team competing for one almost every year.

Last edited:
In recent SBs matchups its Coughlin, but over all BB, and its not even close. The Giants wax and wane, every few years they come up to take a shot at the SB (5 years), BB has his team competing for one almost every year.

^This

Ask a female if she wants a man who can perform everytime in the bed or a man who performs once in five days

Last edited:
Coughlin is definitely a defensible choice: they both have multiple rings as a HC and he's beaten his only real competitor twice in the Super Bowl. It really comes down to what you value more: head to head Super Bowl matchups, or additional rings and a far superior regular season record. Both of them are Hall of Famers and two of the best ever, though, so I guess I just don't really care where people think they stack up head to head.

I think any statement that it's "not even close", though, is ridiculous. They're both among the best ever, and even the head-to-head matchups say as much about the personnel, and how the Giants are perfectly suited to take on the Patriots--than anything else.

Last edited:
Tom coughlin would be unemployed if it wasn't for a couple of great defensive draft picks.

Bill defensive draft picks have mostly failed except for jones.

Tom coughlin would be unemployed if it wasn't for a couple of great defensive draft picks.

I think BB is a genius, but you could say close to the same thing about him if the Pats didn't draft Brady.

As good as the Giants D line was in '07, they were still massive underdogs in that SB.

I think BB is a genius, but you could say close to the same thing about him if the Pats didn't draft Brady.

As good as the Giants D line was in '07, they were still massive underdogs in that SB.

You do know brady didn't play every game during the first superbowl run?

They shouldn't have been underdogs considering how they play the pats 4 weeks before and how brady's injury started limiting him dating back to the second half of the chargers afc championship game.
Funny how No one ever talks about that.

Last edited:

Leading tackler of 2012 and pro bowler Jerod Mayo says Hi ;)

Belichick.

More conference Championships, more Super Bowls, more WINS period.

If you judge things solely head-to-head, you can find a lot of weird results in history.

For instance, Bill Parcells is 3-0 in the playoffs against Bill Walsh. He too, like Coughlin, has 2 Super Bowl rings (though unlike Coughlin he was not almost fired in the interim).

Is Parcells better than Walsh?

Heck no!!!

Luckiest=Coughlin
Best=Belichick
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA=Rex Ryan

Leading tackler of 2012 and pro bowler Jerod Mayo says Hi ;)

Mayo was billed as the ray lewis of the new patriots defense.........so far he hasn't stepped in to the leadership role

Mayo doesn't wreck a game like jones or the brain trust.

Please dont insult two gr8 coaches by mentioning their names in the same post as Rex :D

rex to his credit is a great defensive coach. That can't be denied.

It's just the other parts he sucks at.

rex to his credit is a great defensive coach. That can't be denied.

It's just the other parts he sucks at.

He should have stuck to being a Defensive coach , he sucks as a head coach and a motivational speaker

Mayo was billed as the ray lewis of the new patriots defense.........so far he hasn't stepped in to the leadership role

Mayo doesn't wreck a game like jones or the brain trust.

Never heard anyone compare Mayo to Lewis....that wouldn't be fair since Lewis may be considered as the greatest ILB ever.

BB in a friggin landslide here!!!! Coughlin has ALMOST been fired HOW MANY times in NY??? His regular season record is generally so erratic that there is a death watch going on in NY nearly every year!! Now I get it that what matters MOST is winning playoffs and SB's .....in that area Coughlin has certainly excelled within the past 5 years. But overall career??? BB blows the guy away.... In my honest opinion, Coughlin has been more LUCKY than good.....just like his QB.....

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks

A league exec to me last night... "Can we stop debating who the best coach is in this league? It's Tom Coughlin and nobody else is close"

link: Is Tom Coughlin or Bill Belichick the NFL's best coach? - NFL.com

Never heard anyone compare Mayo to Lewis....that wouldn't be fair since Lewis may be considered as the greatest ILB ever.

Not in skills, but in leadership and a defensive captain.

Or maybe i heard it the comparison from jon gruden during a monday night game :rolleyes:

Which poster has had the best reply in this thread?

Because it's the very most recent post and I'm biased, I'm going to say me.

two great coachs who both got lucky to draft two great QB's the gaints just have the best front 4 in the NFL right now so they are a better team right now... players win SB's not coachs and in todays NFL you have to throw the football and rush the QB to win the gaints can do both very good the pats can do one great
Giants didn't draft Manning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand