PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the Patriots offense good enough as is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither Lewis nor Watson need to scare anybody. Watson is a quality player, despite the ravings of Patsfans.com experts, and Lewis has the speed to put a lot of pressure on linebackers and low end DBs. With DBs having to cover Moss and Galloway, that will leave bottom of the barrel DBs, or linebackers, trying to cover Welker and Lewis/Watson, and wings and prayers trying to cover Faulk out of the backfield.

D.I. Please tell me why you think Watson is a quality player? "Ravings" or not he has "metal mitts". Are you saying that is not true? You can cover Watson with an NT if he does not catch the ball. We have to agree to disagree on Watson. Quality? Isn't that a little too high of an anointment?
He has become a decent blocker. That's all we can agree on.
DW Toys

Last edited:
D.I. Please tell me why you think Watson is a quality player? "Ravings" or not he has "metal mitts". Are you saying that is not true? You can cover Watson with an NT if he does not catch the ball. We have to agree to disagree on Watson. Quality? Isn't that a little too high of an anointment?
He has become a decent blocker. That's all we can agree on.
DW Toys

I think you're confusing 'not as well as we would've liked,' with 'he sucks'--like the example just said.

His speed is obvious, he has improved his blocking skills--which he lacked at first, and he's big and still demands attention. I think everyone drops balls sometimes, even the great Randy Moss. I think Watson has had some opportunities taken away with the emergence of Welker underneath, the addition of Moss, Brady getting hurt, lack of chemistry with Cassel, the good rushing game last yr, etc.

I certainly think he's still a quality TE, maybe just has been overlooked a little bit the past yr or 2. Watch him step up this yr, don't give up on him yet DW

I think that "metal mitts" is an exaggeration.

Yes, Watson has dropped balls I would have hoped he would catch (and allowed the ball to be knocked out). But he's also caught good passes. Part of the trouble is that his drops have come in situations that were crucial -- in the red zone or when it was necessary to keep a drive going. But that is normal for a tight end -- that's when the ball comes their way.

So, much though I like Big Ben as a smart and articulate person with strong values, I too am (slightly) disappointed in his play.

"The Pats should add another WR and an OL through the draft"

I agree with you. After LB and DB I want a solid OL for depth and possible starter next year. We must protect Brady and after the G'men have loaded up on DL this offseason I want one even more.
You win on the lines and we all know that.

yeah, the offense looks good --- it looked good a couple years ago, but it wasn't good enough.
on the flip side, I'm hoping the defense might be better than a couple years ago, so maybe the '09 offense really will be good enough.

Yes the offense looks great! and everyone is healthy that we know of :D

I agree, right now, it is almost a fantasy team offense.

But we have to assume that it will lose two starters to injury for most of the year, as that seems to be average. So the issue is, which ones? We can afford to lose any of the four RB's, and perhaps one inside OL, but that's about it, if we want to maintain that ridiculous explosiveness. If Brady, Moss, Welker, or one of the tackles goes down, it starts to look very different.

But if they all stay healthy, WOW.

2007 was two seasons in one. Before and after Morris got hurt. The Pats would have won the SB IMO if they had that offense - more time off the clock.

The Pats need to draft a OG and OT to break in this year, and for possible full time use in '10. Neal is old and battered, and '09 will be it IMO. Light should go to RT in '10, Kazcur will not be retained IMO.

They will need a TE, RB, and WR in '10, they could score one this year, BB will go for the best one he can get, and use FA and the draft for the rest next year.

3 offensive picks, the rest D IMO

I'd love to sit in a room with you guys and talk about offensive formations and how the crap you'd defend them. Trying it in a thread is a nightmare.
I'm looking forward to seeing a 6 yard slant go for an 60 yard touchdown because the defense sends everyone after TB12 and Welker wolverines the defense.

on offense, IMO, the one position that I think the Pats really need to be looking at to upgrade is guard. I like Neal, but he's getting up there in age, has never been particularly durable in the first place, and the dropoff when he was out last year was pretty remarkable. If the Pats used a first-day pick on a guard, I wouldn't mind at all. I'm also not a huge fan of Light, but IMO guard depth should be the first priority to address.

2007 was two seasons in one. Before and after Morris got hurt. The Pats would have won the SB IMO if they had that offense - more time off the clock.

The Pats need to draft a OG and OT to break in this year, and for possible full time use in '10. Neal is old and battered, and '09 will be it IMO. Light should go to RT in '10, Kazcur will not be retained IMO.

They will need a TE, RB, and WR in '10, they could score one this year, BB will go for the best one he can get, and use FA and the draft for the rest next year.

3 offensive picks, the rest D IMO

If you look at the breakdowns, Kaczur was actually really effective in 2008. I was surprised by it, to be honest. That said, I still wouldn't mind seeing a tackle be drafted.

I liked the Patriots with Cassels at QB, but I guess that other guy you have in pretty good too :D

Last edited:
I agree with your offensive analysis completely.

1. OL depth, 2. TE depth, 3. WR depth

If we use all of our top 6 picks in the first 3 rounds (although I doubt we do), I'd be very surprised if any more than 1 or 2 were on offense.

I agree here on 1. and 2. I think we have enough WR depth for now, although drafting now for 2010 WR depth might make sense. But yikes, the draft is a heck of a crappy way to get WRs!

As for O-line depth, I think the best way to get it is to draft a blue chip OT in the second round, moving someone else down the depth chart (eventually), rather than drafting a 5th rounder and hoping the starters never get injured.

I was going to make a big argument for bolstering the running game this season to take pressure off Brady and the rebuilding defense, but in the final analysis, things really look OK. We have a good rotation in place via Maroney, Taylor, Morris and Faulk (if we indeed keep all four) and a system that averaged 142 rushing YPG last year (sixth in the league). The passing offense was 12th overall in '08 w/223 YPG. So, with Brady back and some other healthy bodies available (hello, Mike Thomas), you've got to figure the passing game will improve automatically. I'd like to see the offensive line get some strong, young help -- some "road grader" style run blockers. But aside from that, the offense looks pretty darn good from top to bottom. Is there a critical need anywhere? Not that I see. We could use some OL depth and maybe tight end/fullback upgrades, perhaps a young developmental WR. I think O'Connell will be capable backing up Tom, the third QB slot going to Gutierrez/older vet/rookie.

This brings emphasis squarely back to defense for major upgrading via the draft and possibly still through free agency. I like the pickups so far. But other than possibly OL, defense looks to be the focus for "major" additions in the form of high draft picks and "name" free agents (a la, Peppers or Taylor).
YPG is about the worst measure possible.

The patriots had one of the best offences in the league.

The Pats need to draft a OG and OT to break in this year, and for possible full time use in '10.

I agree, I hope we get one of the top guards like Mack/Unger and then someone like Meredith in the second

i am starting to think that the pats should not trade for peppers and keep all their picks, the more you look into it, the pats have some holes that really need to be looked at.

i think the pats should use #23 on a OLB
#34 on ILB to take place of Bruschi
#47 OL to protect Brady and replace Neal
#58 either another OL or S to replace Kazcur and depth for S

i am starting to realize it isnt worth trading multiple picks for Peppers when we could fill up alot of holes

If the O-line holds up and Brady is back to 90%+, this offense may exceed the 2007 scoring totals. Galloway has the potential to make that kind of impact. Of course, health "if" will be the word of the year:

If Galloway can stay healthy
If Maroney can stay healthy
If Taylor has another year in him
If Neal can stay healty

etc....

Agree. It's all about the "If's" with every team. But I believe the Pats have the highest ceiling as far as potential to put up huge numbers this year. I am looking forward to how Galloway affects our offense. Gaffney was great and reliable (for the most time), but Galloway adds the big play potential opposite Moss and Taylor adds another dimension to our running game. Plus we all know how competitive Brady is and how he's chomping at the bit to get it going.

Agree. It's all about the "If's" with every team. But I believe the Pats have the highest ceiling as far as potential to put up huge numbers this year. I am looking forward to how Galloway affects our offense. Gaffney was great and reliable (for the most time), but Galloway adds the big play potential opposite Moss and Taylor adds another dimension to our running game. Plus we all know how competitive Brady is and how he's chomping at the bit to get it going.

Yes, Galloway vs. Stallworth is the difference between a legitimate (if old) Top shelf #1 threat and a guy who runs fast and can make an occasional play. Galloway has more 1,000 yard seasons since turning 35 than Stallworth has in his entire career. Then again, Stallworth has never had a 1,000 yard season.

I would be confident, this year, to field the offense as it is today.

Unless an outstanding OL of the future slips into range, our 1st two rounds picks need to be on D with special attention to OLB pass rusher. If in the 3rd round there's a high value guy who looks like he could develop into the 3rd WR position or a TE, go for it. That said, I think that BB again will use picks to move around and take a couple guys he really covets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes