PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the Patriots offense good enough as is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you seem to be saying is that we don't need an offensive addition to this year's team. Okay, I agree. Now, that doesn't affect the draft at all. As you point out, Belichick is looking for players for the future. This could be at LT, RT, LG, RG, TE, RB or WR. Any of these could be picked with any of our SIX picks in the top 100 picks. Some even consider that we could pick a QB in the first three rounds.

So, while I agree that the offense is fine as it is, I don't agree that this means that we should not draft anyone early on offense. For me, the draft is all about developing players for the future.

I would be confident, this year, to field the offense as it is today.

Unless an outstanding OL of the future slips into range, our 1st two rounds picks need to be on D with special attention to OLB pass rusher. If in the 3rd round there's a high value guy who looks like he could develop into the 3rd WR position or a TE, go for it. That said, I think that BB again will use picks to move around and take a couple guys he really covets.

How many of you believe the Patriots have the best (or at least top 3) offense in the league at the moment? Just curious . . .

How many of you believe the Patriots have the best (or at least top 3) offense in the league at the moment? Just curious . . .

Top 3, I'm not sure we can judge that until we see Brady back, but top 5? Most definitely.

Their defence, on the other hand, isn't in the top half. Picks would be better spent, and much more effective fixing that side of the ball.

Top 3, I'm not sure we can judge that until we see Brady back, but top 5? Most definitely.

Their defence, on the other hand, isn't in the top half. Picks would be better spent, and much more effective fixing that side of the ball.

If you were forced to make a top 5 list right now, considering last year and all the unknowns so far, what would be your list?

Sorry to the OP if I'm somewhat hijacking the thread.

If you were forced to make a top 5 list right now, considering last year and all the unknowns so far, what would be your list?

Sorry to the OP if I'm somewhat hijacking the thread.

This year is tough, simply because three of what should be the top have huge question marks. Denver was one of the best, but Cutler is gone and I have no idea how Orton will do. Brady hasn't played football in 12 months. Plaxico being gone certainly hurts the giants and I think Eli sees a huge regression back to his 2007 form, for 20 TDs, 20 Ints..

I think Denver slips out of the top 5, as does NYG. In no particular order, New Orleans, Indy, New England, Atlanta, San Diego.

Last edited:
Is the Patriots offense top 3? What offense in the NFL do you think could be more prolific than the Pats? Right now, the Pats CLEARLY have the #1 offense in the NFL by a looong shot. You have to assume Brady will still play like the Brady we all know. Will he, who knows. But until he actually sucks, you have to assume he will be fine.

Obviously, you can always work on making any part of a team better, but right now, I think the offense is set. Sure, drafting a OT, TE, or RB would strengthen the O, but the defense should be the priority.

I still don't get how the topic can be "is.... good enough". Good enough for what? To win games? Clearly, it is. Is it good enough to be the best in the NFL, right now, again I believe that is a yes.

This year is tough, simply because three of what should be the top have huge question marks. Denver was one of the best, but Cutler is gone and I have no idea how Orton will do. Brady hasn't played football in 12 months. Plaxico being gone certainly hurts the giants and I think Eli sees a huge regression back to his 2007 form, for 20 TDs, 20 Ints..

I think Denver slips out of the top 5, as does NYG. In no particular order, New Orleans, Indy, New England, Atlanta, San Diego.

Is the Patriots offense top 3? What offense in the NFL do you think could be more prolific than the Pats? Right now, the Pats CLEARLY have the #1 offense in the NFL by a looong shot. You have to assume Brady will still play like the Brady we all know. Will he, who knows. But until he actually sucks, you have to assume he will be fine.

Obviously, you can always work on making any part of a team better, but right now, I think the offense is set. Sure, drafting a OT, TE, or RB would strengthen the O, but the defense should be the priority.

I still don't get how the topic can be "is.... good enough". Good enough for what? To win games? Clearly, it is. Is it good enough to be the best in the NFL, right now, again I believe that is a yes.

Two slightly different points of view, but both equally appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey