• Yes

Votes: 44 27.2%
  • No

Votes: 118 72.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why isn't Harris in the discussion?

I worded that wrong when I said I'd take those guys over Mayo. Obviously I'd rather have a younger Mayo over 37 yd old Lewis, but I still think Lewis is better than Mayo right now.

Also, Fletcher and Johnson are both pretty good as well.

I just don't see any big plays from Mayo. He's a tackling machine (not this season) but that's it. No sacks, no forced fumbles, no INTS. (first one of career last week...)

harris is even with mayo......hard to compare given the different resposibilities each is assigned with........I think mayo at ILB for the jets (hes faster than harris) doing the same things could be more effective

No he isn't. He is not a game changer.

Willis is the best ILB in the game. Mayo is #2. Lewis is #3. Harris isn't in the discussion.

lol what? David Harris is most certainly in the discussion as beason when healthy. I guess you totally forgot about Timmons as well.
1) P.Willis

2) Beason
3) Timmons
4) Mayo/Harris
6) whoever you want

David Harris is pretty good against the run, but in space he runs like he has cement in his shoes.

Has been overrated by most Pats fans for a while.

Last edited:
No, he's not.

Willis, Mayo and Lewis are the 3 best ILBs in the game. After them, it's a dropoff to the next group.

Really have to question how much football you've watched this season when you have Lewis above Timmons. After this season how anybody who's watched a more than 2 jets games can say that Harris isn't on par if not better than Mayo is laughable. He's having an all pro season. You think Rodgers isn't on Bradys level either? I know most people don't watch panthers games but Beason is top 5.

David Harris makes Brandon Spikes look fast :p

Good against the run but he can't do much else.

Really have to question how much football you've watched this season when you have Lewis above Timmons. After this season how anybody who's watched a more than 2 jets games can say that Harris isn't on par if not better than Mayo is laughable. He's having an all pro season. You think Rodgers isn't on Bradys level either? I know most people don't watch panthers games but Beason is top 5.

1.) What have you been smoking?

2.) May I have some?

David Harris makes Brandon Spikes look fast :p

Good against the run but he can't do much else.

More INT's, passes defended, sacks...I'm embarrassed for your football knowledge.

1.) What have you been smoking?

2.) May I have some?

Ray Lewis is one of the (if not the) best of all time. After last season anybody who thinks that he's a better Inside linebacker than Harris, Beason, Mayo, Willis, and Timmons is giving that to him because of the name on his jersey and not his actual play. Lewis might still be the best leader/motivator in the game but he isnt a top 5 play wise.

Well, there's a positive. If Mayo hasn't reached his ceiling because he's bailing out the jag LBs around him, maybe the playmaking Mayo will emerge if BB enhances the LB corps.

That becomes a bigger and bigger MAYBE with each passing draft.:confused:

Mayo is the consistently solid guy in a league where everyone says you have to be flashy to be considered elite. As far as his fit in a Belichick defense, he's absolutely elite. In any other system, probably not.

Mayo isn't elite. He is above average to great, but certainly not elite.

What class of ILB in the league do you place him?
Patrick Willis class?
How do you rate him? Should the D be built around him or should the team look for more help inside?

yep he is in the patrick willis class like Sanches or eli are in the same class than brady.

If by elite, you mean in the top 5, or so, at his position, I would say "no." I think he's a very good player, but not a great one.

More INT's, passes defended, sacks...I'm embarrassed for your football knowledge.

And he's done all that since Rex got the Jets job, putting in a system that gives linebackers a chance to make plays, look what he did with Mangini coaching them.

Mayo is in a similar position, he isn't put in a position to make plays because of the scheme, but when he is allowed to go and make plays, he does. When he blitzes he pretty much always gets a hit or pressure...I think he has a couple of sacks too, which isn't bad considering he spends the majority of the time hanging back and cleaning up anything that gets past the defensive line - because that's his assignment.

Mayo's a solid player who does his job extremely well. But what I consider elite are players who other teams have to game plan for, like Wilfork, Willis, Ngata, Revis, etc.

Generally when I think of elite, I think of a top 3 to top 5 player at a respective position.

Therefore Mayo qualifies.

And he's done all that since Rex got the Jets job, putting in a system that gives linebackers a chance to make plays, look what he did with Mangini coaching them.

Mayo is in a similar position, he isn't put in a position to make plays because of the scheme, but when he is allowed to go and make plays, he does. When he blitzes he pretty much always gets a hit or pressure...I think he has a couple of sacks too, which isn't bad considering he spends the majority of the time hanging back and cleaning up anything that gets past the defensive line - because that's his assignment.

So it's not that he got better but rather Rexs scheme that makes him look like an animal. If you get a chance watch his game against the skins and watch some of the plays he makes running down helu before he gets the sideline or making a play on the ball in zone. He's even with Mayo.
Just for further notice Harris ran a 4.59 and Mayo ran a 4.56, both play fast so I dont know why you think he's slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes