• Yes

Votes: 44 27.2%
  • No

Votes: 118 72.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does his job, nothing spectacular.

For the 10th overall selection, one would hope to see more impact type plays, tackles at or behind the LOS, more picks than just the one he's had in his career which he ironically just got last week.

His pass-coverage skills are average if that. I've seen him get beat alot in coverage.

High tackle totals in the NFL are very deceiving, when those tackles are made after 4-6 yard gains, I mean what is that really saying ?

So to me, given where he was selected, I have to say "MEH"

Last edited:
The real question is:

Did the Patriots defense miss Mayo when he was out?

He's top 5 in the league so yes he is elite.

Everyone saying he should make more plays...well that isn't his assignment, just from watching the games you can see that he's there to clean up - on the odd occasions he has blitzed he does get pressures/hits and he has a couple of sacks too.

This season as well you have to remember that he's missed time injured and I don't think he's played a game this season with the other first string line backers for the majority of the game. Pre season showed that when he's allowed to come off the edge in this 4-3 he does create problems and make plays in the backfield.

The real question is:

Yes because he's a defensive captain and his spot was taken by Gary Guyton.

Last edited:
i voted NO, but he is right on the verge...

I do not believe you can compare him to guys like Lewis (even at this point), Willis, Willis teammate at ILB apparently, or the new guy in denver Von Miller

those guys all dominate a game, consistently, Willis has dominated only a handful of games throughout his NFL career

btw, right now he plays mostly OLB when everyone is healthy, so now you have to ask yourself how does he measure up against guys like harrison and suggs? no contest really

When his MCL is in good shape, yes.

The real question is:

Not really. Mayo is good but not elite. He gets the green dot because he is our best LB not because he is elite. I rarely see him dominate games. What has he shown to prove he is elite? Flashes don't mean one is elite. Green Dot doesn't mean one is elite.

btw, right now he plays mostly OLB when everyone is healthy, so now you have to ask yourself how does he measure up against guys like harrison and suggs? no contest really

Playing outside in the 4-3 is a different position to playing outside in a 3-4. If you were to compare Harrison/Suggs to any Patriots players it would currently be Anderson & Carter.

Mayo is a good player but not Elite....IMO you have to have some sort of leadership quality in you to get to that level like Ray Lewis and James Harrison for example.

He is a good tackler and a player we should be glad to have,but he is not at that level,he does need to be used in the pass rush more often IMO

He's the 2nd best ILB in the game when healthy. That's elite.

No, he's not. It pains me to say that too. He's a good LB but he doesn't make any "big" plays. Last week was his first INT. How many forced fumbles/sacks does he have? I don't think many. It could also be how BB is using him though.

I'd take Lewis, Willis, and Harris over Mayo.

Mayo is better than Lewis and Harris.

Navarro Bowman has really come on this season, but I'm not ready to put him over Mayo.

I'd take Lewis, Willis, and Harris over Mayo.

Willis is the best ILB in the game. Mayo is #2. Lewis is #3. Harris isn't in the discussion.

Yes!!!!

Kraft_Mayonaise.jpg

Nothing is better than Kraft's Mayo.

Last edited:
I would take willis over mayo, but I would rather invest the resources in upgrading OLB since drafting a good one will never happen

Willis is the best ILB in the game. Mayo is #2. Lewis is #3. Harris isn't in the discussion.

Why isn't Harris in the discussion?

I worded that wrong when I said I'd take those guys over Mayo. Obviously I'd rather have a younger Mayo over 37 yd old Lewis, but I still think Lewis is better than Mayo right now.

Also, Fletcher and Derrick Johnson are both pretty good as well.

I just don't see any big plays from Mayo. He's a tackling machine (not this season) but that's it. No sacks, no forced fumbles, no INTS. (first one of career last week...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back