Mayo elite?

• Yes

Votes: 44 27.2%
  • No

Votes: 118 72.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I believe he is not currently among the 'Elite' ILB currently. I believe he has the potential to be elite, however. BB will know how to make him a star and capitalize on his strengths. He is really fast and has great tackling ability, but still has some room to improve.

With that said, when he is done in the NFL, I believe he will be one of the best of all time. :)

Solid and Elite aren't really on the same planet.

In the Bill Belichick defense they are. Belichick's defense is focused much less on big plays and much more on a player just doing his job. At the WILB spot, Mayo's job is making tackles. And last season at the WILB spot, no ILB succeeded on a higher percentage of his tackles than Mayo. That means he did his job.

I don't know if he's elite this year, but he's very good. He's played like an elite LB at times, but seems to disappear at others. No question that in 2010, he was elite.

Belichick said Mayo reminds him of Carl Banks. I'd say that's a fair evaluation.

Bruschi is also convinced that Mayo is an elite player. Don't know how much of that is just him sticking up for an ex-teammate, but the guy definitely knows football.

It comes down to how well fans know the game. The answer most of the time, and this goes for myself too, is not very well. Would love to watch some all-22 tape. Only way to get the complete story on a defensive player.

Last edited:
If someone is elite over a career they would be a hall of fame type player. Does Mayo make the hall of fame?

That isn't even remotely accurate.

Not even close. He's a good solid player though.

nope...maybe one day though

Mayo does everything that's asked of him in this system, and that's all that matters to me. He still has a lot of years ahead of him, and as he and the faces and the play calls change around him so will our view of him.

In an act of complete homerism, other linebackers be damned. Different linebackers under different conditions. As long as Mayo is a star on a winning Patriots defense, he's elite in my book.

Two questions:

Who on Earth are the 28 people who voted YES?

AND...

Where's the "Not even remotely" option?

Last edited:
Just because you're in the top 2-3 in your position doesn't automatically label you an elite player. Who is the second best FS in the game behind Ed Reed? Who is the SS ranked behind Polamalu? Are those guys elite players in the league? Some positions are richer in elite talent than others. And some are completely lacking as well.

Vince Wilfork is Elite, Jerod Mayo is Core, there is a big difference.

i came in here worried that the homer pats fans would be in full force but was pleasantly surprised by poll results

hes good, very good for us but he hasnt shown us anything to be elite
im sure this has all been covered though

Who are the elite defensive players in the NFL ?

Imo: Ware,Harrison,Revis,Willis,Reed,Polamalu,Suggs,Ngata,Wilfork,Matthews.Allen

Then there are guys who are borderline elite : Woodley,Woodson,Asomugha,Berry,RayLewis,J.Smith, Miller,Suh,J.Joseph,Mario Williams,BJ Raji and etc.

I think Mayo is near that borderline elite group.

Last edited:
David Harris makes Brandon Spikes look fast :p

Good against the run but he can't do much else.

David Harris is a 34 WILB like Jerod Mayo.

Spikes is a 34 SILB like Barking Scott.

Two questions:

AND...

I'm 1/28.

Big deal, so what, wanna fight about it?

In the Bill Belichick defense they are. Belichick's defense is focused much less on big plays and much more on a player just doing his job. At the WILB spot, Mayo's job is making tackles. And last season at the WILB spot, no ILB succeeded on a higher percentage of his tackles than Mayo. That means he did his job.

Have you seriously twisted your brain around to believe this crap?

Yeah, our players aren't supposed to make impact plays in BB's defense. Great point.

BB: "Forget making any kind of big play, singularly focus on tackles!"

Jerod: "Perfect! It's impossible to make a big play in your system, anyway"

Have you seriously twisted your brain around to believe this crap?

Yeah, our players aren't supposed to make impact plays in BB's defense. Great point.

BB: "Forget making any kind of big play, singularly focus on tackles!"

Jerod: "Perfect! It's impossible to make a big play in your system, anyway"

"Do your job"

Two questions:

AND...

I'm 1/28.

Big deal, so what, wanna fight about it?

25th percentile. Not worth a fight, but it should give you a good indication of where your opinion stands on the subject.

If someone is elite over a career they would be a hall of fame type player. Does Mayo make the hall of fame?

That isn't even remotely accurate.

Again, it would appear you are on an island (with the other 25%) who would define elite down.

Last edited:
No he is not elite...but he is very good and I hope he is here for many more years. What about Brian Urlacher? I dont think anyone mentioned him yet, i would still take Urlacher over mayo despite the age. And I also think Brandon Spikes has more upside than mayo. And that is not a knock against Mayo. I think if Spikes improves in pass defense and with some more time he could be a preennial pro bowler.

25th percentile. Not worth a fight, but it should give you a good indication of where your opinion stands on the subject.

Again, it would appear you are on an island (with the other 25%) who would define elite down.

A rather lazy and unconvincing appeal to consensus.

"If you wish to converse with me, define your terms." ~Voltaire

I think it depends on what the OP meant by "elite." If, as some on here have posited, it means top five at his position then he is, indeed, elite (albeit by default IMO). If it means one of the few truly great impact players at his position then Mayo is not elite. Solid but not elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back