PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it Time to Bench Ellis Hobbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you guys have major personal issues. This is a website, on the internet, where people discuss a football team. Nobody's trying out for an ESPN column. Relax. It's just a discussion. If the thread irritates you, don't open it. Or write a letter to the editor.

I like Ellis Hobbs, but I've witnessed him give up a number of big plays, and I feel that he is the weak link on defense.

no irritation man..relax...but when you have a thread with the heading , "Is it Time to Bench Ellis Hobbs ?" like we have deion sanders and ty law sitting on the bench , it sounds a bit over the top to start with. How about discussing hobbs play in general if it has regressed or not instead of suggesting a over the top action like benching him...
again..nothing personal and i have no personal for or against hobbs, i think he is ok for what we have ..

--
thanks

I see this thread as mean-spirited bashing of Hobbits in general

I see this thread as mean-spirited bashing of Hobbits in general
Indeed, not to mention the WR he was attempting to tackle had some success as a running QB in college - you know, break-away speed, breaking tackles, that kind of thing. But perhaps one play should be the standard for benching players - that an claiming numerous unspecified problems from previous games.

1) It is not time to bench Hobbs.

2) He is playing with a broken wrist.

3) IMHO, as of now, he is playing worse than the starters at the other 10 defensive positions. That doesn't make him terrrible. We have a great defense; but as of now, he is the weakest link.

4) I expect Hobbs to start next year, and play better than this year.

Apologies if this topic has already been discussed, I haven't been on the board for a while, but I've noticed a pattern in the latter half of the season that ellis hobbs has really broken our backs in some key situations. He's out of position a lot, he doesn't tackle well, and generally it doesn't seem like he's playing smart right now. Do we want him starting in the playoffs going against Denver's deep passing game?

To quote an answer I gave to a thread in a similar vein re: Ben Watson-

"I can't see him being dumped just yet. Outside of sales and all those crappy "hire and fire" industries, it isn't common practice to get rid of people based on one less-than-perfect month or so."

I have said this many times...on the corner , he is horrible, extremely so and a very bad link. In the nickel he is better, has time to visualize the play and react to the quarterback.....

On the corner, he is constantly beaten, easily faked, and has hurt us far more than helped us.

He is a gutsy player, a hard hitter (when he makes contact, which he doesnt do half of the time) and he works hard and is a threat as a return man, sometimes...but as a corner, I dread it every time I see him out there...gives too much room, gets beaten easily inside, and then goes for the fake too often and receivers easily get past him.

He is over rated, IMO, as a corner. Size doesnt help,. either.

Good hard nosed player, and at this point, keep him, not not as a starting corner.

you have said nothing of the sort. what a liar.

lISTEN PALSY WALSY..IF YU WANT ME TO GO BACK AND FIND ALLTHE POSTS IN WHICH i HAVE SAID THAT hOBBS IS A GOOD NICKEL BACK BECAUSE HE GETS MORE TIME TO REACT TO THE PLAYS, I WILL...WONT BE TOO HARD TO FIND, AND IF i DO, I WANT YOU TO QUIT THIS BOARD FOR THREE MONTHS. fAIR? oR ELSE SAY THAT you ARE THE LIAR, NOT ME.

Because, callling me, or anyone else on this forum, a liar, is a violation of forum rules, and subject to immediate banning.

I don't care. You are a liar, a manipulator, a hijacker, and a disgrace to this board. Go smoke that. And wait, I forgot a whiner. Up with the NEMClown forum!!!!!!!!!

I don't care. You are a liar, a manipulator, a hijacker, and a disgrace to this board. Go smoke that. And wait, I forgot a whiner. Up with the NEMClown forum!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't worry to much about this one. I caught him in 2 different lies on another thread this week and called him on them. Suddenly, like magic, I've got a mark against my reputation. I don't know who posted it, but I'm really hurt. I'm sure that NEM wouldn't put such a mark on my reputation score and claim I was a troll just because I'd caught him in 2 lies on the same thread. That would be unethical of him, after all. So, I'm really hurt that someone else called me a troll.

Here's that thread, in case you're wondering why I'm so saddened by being called a troll by someone (not NEM, I'm sure!):

http://208.109.107.176/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=46813

:(

I wouldn't worry to much about this one. I caught him in 2 different lies on another thread this week and called him on them. Suddenly, like magic, I've got a mark against my reputation. I don't know who posted it, but I'm really hurt. I'm sure that NEM wouldn't put such a mark on my reputation score and claim I was a troll just because I'd caught him in 2 lies on the same thread. That would be unethical of him, after all. So, I'm really hurt that someone else called me a troll.

Here's that thread, in case you're wondering why I'm so saddened by being called a troll by someone (not NEM, I'm sure!):

http://208.109.107.176/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=46813

:(

I wouldnt be too worried about it. Just be careful because the threats will start coming soon.

I would start Mickens over Hobbs.

you have said nothing of the sort. what a liar.
The real tragedy here is NEM really has sad all of that about Hobbs and was saying them last season when teams were going away from Hobbs and at Samuel. Hobbs started this season as the #1 CB, NEM wouldn't notice that because he would need a plexiglass window in his abdomen to see more than the lining of his colon.

I didn't bother reading the whole thread, so apologies if anyone else pointed out the obvious, but:

Did any of you eyeless Hobbs haters see that Sanders completely blew that play? Sanders was the deep help for Hobbs. Sanders dashed forward, taking himself out of position and leaving 5'9 190 pound Ellis Hobbs to tackle 6'6 240 pound Matt Jones all alone.

On top of that, Ellis was obviously playing outside containment on the route, he was supposed to have Safety help from Sanders to the inside. But Sanders was neither deeper or inside of Hobbs. He was nowhere.

Hobbs played his responsibility, turning a guy much bigger than him into the area where help was supposed to be. But the help was not there.

And just a thought: Jones is a huge, strong guy. Even if it HAD been Chad Scott instead of Hobbs the tackle probably would have been missed with the Safety help completely blown. It was raining, the uniforms were slick. The CBs responsibility put him into a position where that route was going to make a solo tackle very difficult. Without the safety help that showed up (none) just about any CB in the league would have watched the same thing happen to them as happened to Ellis.

Because, callling me, or anyone else on this forum, a liar, is a violation of forum rules, and subject to immediate banning.

So... should I go back and report all the posts where you called me and others a "LIAR"? How about attempting to follow these supposed rules before you go around policing everyone else?

I would start Mickens over Hobbs.

This is far from an upgrade. In any event, it's usually old corners who move to safety, not the other way around.

Right now Hobbs is the best we have opposite Samuel.

Be my guest. See, even though I offered you my hand, you still are part of the BASH NEM group... Can't resist, can you?

I did not bash you, just pointed out that you were being silly to the nth, which you were. *shrug*

In all the years that I have been with this forum, I have never called anyone, by initiating a post, a liar. If I did, it was only in the context of saying that someone lied about me, and that they were a liar for doing it...

Um.... when else does anyone call someone a liar?

Just face it, you do the same things you bellow about others doing. Stop spinning it that it's okay when you do it but not okay when others do it.

It's either okay for both, or not okay for both, you can't be the only one allowed to do the things that you complain about.

NEVER, NOT ONCE, have I ever called anyone, including YOU, a liar on anything other than calling ME a liar......

Not once.

Um.. okay? And even if that were true, what makes it okay to do it then and not any other time? :confused:

So, if you wlant to continue to destroy this forum with you anti NEM bullcrap, be my guest. I offered you a truce, and apparently Box and Digger control you far too much. Not for long though.

Oh come on, I just pointed out that you were talking out of both sides of your face. I didn't bash you, calm the heck down. Your melodramatics really are silly, pal.

I totally disagree. He constantly is beaten when he plays corner, and I do mean constantly. He has played at the nickel more, lately, and does better. Still not that great, but at least isnt being faked out of his jock... At nickel he can read and react. At corner, he is easily beaten with body and head fakes, and on inside routes is beaten as receiver is in front and has advantage..as well as height advantage on inside routes,slants, etc.

Since you can see so much of what a single CB does on every single play of the game. :rolleyes:

Bullcrap... I have had enough of you, box and digfer going out of your way to find some reason to begin anti nem rants, in all kinds of different threads. And a lot of other people are disgusted with it too, as they have posted.

See, this is what is wrong with you: What I pointed out has nothing to do with any bias I have against you. You lump anyone that takes you to task at all in with the 'bashers', as if nothing you ever say could ever legitimately be questioned. I didn't bash you NEM, I pointed out that it was silly for you to say someone should be banned for calling someone else a Liar because you yourself had done so. This is a true statement. If it is a true statement, then how is my 'anti-NEM-bias' a factor at all?

Your spinning about why it's okay for you to call people a Liar and not others just reinforces my original statement: you are talking out of both sides of your face and the sad part is that you seemingly can't realize it.

The kid that punches everybody can't cry to mommy that it's wrong when others punch him.

But, dont worry, not for much longer. This forum has been turned into a hate war by two posters, and I will do whatever iut takes to see that it ends...whatever it takes.

In case you haven't noticed: I have hardly been posting here anymore. Between you and the others like you this place is just a wasteland. It's a haven for Patriot-on-Patriot trollery and I am saddened at the state of affairs here. I've really only been coming back for the weekly contest by Alamo and to read the few other worthwhile posts that are sprinkled in. I can't even muster a reply too often because this sort of thing here is what happens in nearly EVERY thread on the board. Rediculous.

I hve no official duty with this forum, but I will, as I said, do whatever it takes to put an end to all this personal agenda and vendetta aimed at me, which is causing this forum to be no better than another one, which condones this type of action.

If you truly felt that you had a duty to this board, you'd do whatever it took to remove yourself and several of the others that constantly drown this board in repetative nonsense. But, no, it's everyone else that's the problem. So, let me return to the 'other board' where I never, not once, have been in an argument with another poster except for you when you were on that site.

Question: If it's such a lower-class board then WHY is it that there are PAGES AND PAGES of discussion with little or no rancor between the posters? Why are there so few arguments and fights and so much good will towards other boardmates?

Answer: They get rid of people like you.

Show me where I said I can see him on every play. But we can see why, and how, he was beaten,when it happens, on instant replay, cant we?

And, I didnt start this thread, so where there is smoke, as theysay, there is fire. Right? Many people have questioned Hobb's abilities as a starting corner. Go ask them if they can see every play, too.

We saw a replay of Asante getting beat several times too, but you use the cold hard evidence of TV replay to bash only Hobbs. Why? Because that's your drum, and you play the same tune.

Others have picked up your torch, but you were always the one originating the song.

In case you haven't noticed: I have hardly been posting here anymore. Between you and the others like you this place is just a wasteland. It's a haven for Patriot-on-Patriot trollery and I am saddened at the state of affairs here. I've really only been coming back for the weekly contest by Alamo and to read the few other worthwhile posts that are sprinkled in. I can't even muster a reply too often because this sort of thing here is what happens in nearly EVERY thread on the board. Rediculous.
Sorry to hear that, 80. You're right - NEM thinks he's an expert but he's really just a divisive jerk.

Why bother responsing to NEM's posts? What is the point? If people think that his analysis is worth reading, then by all means read the analysis. But since NEM allows for no possibility of discussion, why bother with discussion?

See, this is what is wrong with you: What I pointed out has nothing to do with any bias I have against you. You lump anyone that takes you to task at all in with the 'bashers', as if nothing you ever say could ever legitimately be questioned. I didn't bash you NEM, I pointed out that it was silly for you to say someone should be banned for calling someone else a Liar because you yourself had done so. This is a true statement. If it is a true statement, then how is my 'anti-NEM-bias' a factor at all?

Your spinning about why it's okay for you to call people a Liar and not others just reinforces my original statement: you are talking out of both sides of your face and the sad part is that you seemingly can't realize it.

The kid that punches everybody can't cry to mommy that it's wrong when others punch him.

If you truly felt that you had a duty to this board, you'd do whatever it took to remove yourself and several of the others that constantly drown this board in repetative nonsense. But, no, it's everyone else that's the problem. So, let me return to the 'other board' where I never, not once, have been in an argument with another poster except for you when you were on that site.

Question: If it's such a lower-class board then WHY is it that there are PAGES AND PAGES of discussion with little or no rancor between the posters? Why are there so few arguments and fights and so much good will towards other boardmates?

Answer: They get rid of people like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft