PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Danny Amendola the next domino to fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say, we need a competent punt returner this year. Whoever it may be
I hope we draft one who is a decent dime DB or something ...Cyrus Jones / Sterling shepard Bill ???

I'm too nervous when it's Edelman/Amendola.

Signing Washington definitely changes the dynamic of the receiver group, but that doesn't mean Danny is getting cut necessarily. Washington is not even a similar player...

No, but Hogan can be...and if Washington is taking outside the numbers, you've got a log-jam in the slot.

No, but Hogan can be...and if Washington is taking outside the numbers, you've got a log-jam in the slot.

Edelman, Amendola, Hogan and Washington will be competing for reps, when all are healthy. How is this a logjam? I think that we need 4 solid WR's. And yes, we may keep a 5th, or not.

Great opportunity to use one of the SAT words I don't get a chance to use more often:
Superfluous, Dola that is.

No ideas on the Washington contract, but I am going to assume he can be cut without much issue. So that makes Edelman and Hogan as the only two locks for the roster. With 2 to 3 spots still open (played most of last year with 4 WR on game day roster) we should have a lot of camp competition. If Amendola agrees to restructure then I see him as a lock. Then you have Martin, Washington, Dobson and a possible draft pick fighting for the 4th and possible 5th spots.

Great opportunity to use one of the SAT words I don't get a chance to use more often:
Superfluous, Dola that is.

In your world there are never any injuries?

I hope we draft one who is a decent dime DB or something ...Cyrus Jones / Sterling shepard Bill ???

I'm too nervous when it's Edelman/Amendola.
I'm more nervous when it's Harper lol

Martin is our KR (along with Chung!). Martin may make it as our #5 WR and KR.

I want to take a flier on Kanoris at wr in the draft

Now, I could absolutely be wrong. A small part of me is expecting to learn he [Dola] got cut as soon as I click post.

Ha! :)

A question on Amendola and any player really. When is he due his full contract? I mean the Pats can't keep him half the year, cut him, and get half the cap savings I assume?

Is it based on contract terms? Or, is every player the same in this regard. Hypothetically if a player had 0% base salary, and 1m per game played as incentive, could you cut the player half way thru the season and get 50% savings then?

Just wondering. As applies to Amendola, could we hold on not cutting, see what happens with our new FA's and injuries and decide to cut him half way thru if injuries strike and we need pick up a FA or use cap to sign a player in trade.

I guess you'd need to know the specifics of his contract and the above NFL labor rules to know for sure.

I'm in the camp of holding onto Amendola, but if we need something, he'a first to go (or restructure). I think he'll shine with a our #1 WR, #1b TE, RB, FB back. He was just asked a bit too much last season.

A question on Amendola and any player really. When is he due his full contract? I mean the Pats can't keep him half the year, cut him, and get half the cap savings I assume?

Is it based on contract terms? Or, is every player the same in this regard. Hypothetically if a player had 0% base salary, and 1m per game played as incentive, could you cut the player half way thru the season and get 50% savings then?

Amendola is vested and therefore his salary becomes fully guaranteed if he is on the roster when the Patriots play their first game.

Martin is our KR (along with Chung!). Martin may make it as our #5 WR and KR.
Chung is not a kick returner.
Why wouldn't amendola return kicks?

No ideas on the Washington contract, but I am going to assume he can be cut without much issue. So that makes Edelman and Hogan as the only two locks for the roster. With 2 to 3 spots still open (played most of last year with 4 WR on game day roster) we should have a lot of camp competition. If Amendola agrees to restructure then I see him as a lock. Then you have Martin, Washington, Dobson and a possible draft pick fighting for the 4th and possible 5th spots.
Amendola won't get to camp with this contract and then get cut after that

Edelman, Amendola, Hogan and Washington will be competing for reps, when all are healthy. How is this a logjam? I think that we need 4 solid WR's. And yes, we may keep a 5th, or not.

Counting Gronk and Bennett, that's 6 guys for 4 spots, before we get to the marginal/young ones.

At WR, it's basically 4 guys for 2 spots about half the time and 4 guys for 3 spots about half the time.

Also, if at least three WRs are really good, they can compete to shift the fraction of the time different formations are run, especially if one of Gronk or Bennett is dinged up.

One thing that keeps getting overlooked concerning DA is the uncertainty of Edeleman returning to full form. If Edleman is not 100% by the start of the season the Pats will need DA.

Amendola won't get to camp with this contract and then get cut after that

Perhaps so, but not necessarily so.
Given Edelperson's recovery unknowns it's wise to keep Dola until Julian shows on field that he's himself again.
Amendola can be cut any time before the start of the season without being on the hook for his '16 salary.

My wishful thinking is that he again restructures, better sooner than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents