PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Door open for Dola in NE

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Good “hit“ from Reiss today about Amendola:

Receiver Danny Amendola is scheduled to earn a base salary of $6 million in 2017, which will be reduced based on his projected role (No. 4-5 receiver) if he is going to remain on the club. The fact that Amendola wasn’t cut at the start of the 2017 league year is a good indication of how the Patriots are leaving the door open if he’d like to return at a lower salary, which would mark the third straight offseason that Amendola has accepted a reduced contract. One of the follow-up questions after the Patriots acquired Brandin Cooks in a trade from the New Orleans Saints was what that meant for Amendola, and it seems clear that the door is still open for him in New England if he wants to walk through it.

Amendola himself reportedly is willing to restructure but I am happy to read this from Reiss because to me it indicates that BB is still counting on him otherwise he would let him know way before FA in order to give him the best chance to find a new gig (like w Long and many others before). Since some were already saying goodbye to Danny I thought its a good hint to share..

I love the weekend column from Reiss. He finds a lot of stories behind the big headlines too. Dola is another one of those.

If the Patriots were done with him, they would have cut him (possibly early) to give him a chance to test free agency. That he hasn't been cut yet does show they hope to have him back. I thought Floyd would have been the last WR, but looks like Dola is very much in the plans.

I love the weekend column from Reiss. He finds a lot of stories behind the big headlines too. Dola is another one of those.

If the Patriots were done with him, they would have cut him (possibly early) to give him a chance to test free agency. That he hasn't been cut yet does show they hope to have him back. I thought Floyd would have been the last WR, but looks like Dola is very much in the plans.

Floyd wouldn't make the active roster on a weekly basis as he only brings one skill set and the last active spots go to guys who can fill multiple roles or play special teams. Amendola can play every receiver position and return kicks and punts, he'll be out there every week.

Unfortunately, there's a steady stream of dump him comments here every off- season, in spite of his willingness to cut his salary every year. I don't get that at all.
This. DA has been nothing but clutch, accommodating, and a good teammate (by all accounts) since his arrival. His regular seasons haven't been Moss '07, but he has been GOLD in the playoffs. He plays STs. He is unafraid to risk hits to get the play made.

Love me some DA. Have no idea why people on here complain about him, as he's been a bargain since arriving.

would like for him to play another year....but father time catches up to everyone, except TFB....just a matter of when

Floyd wouldn't make the active roster on a weekly basis as he only brings one skill set and the last active spots go to guys who can fill multiple roles or play special teams. Amendola can play every receiver position and return kicks and punts, he'll be out there every week.
Not to mention that Floyd will be suspended from 2-6 games. (The CBA section on substance abuse discipline allows Roger to to give a longer-than-standard suspension when DUI has been extreme, and Floyd pled guilty to extreme DUI, not just regular DUI, so Roger has a basis to invoke that.)

Not to mention that Floyd will be suspended from 2-6 games. (The CBA section on substance abuse discipline allows Roger to to give a longer-than-standard suspension when DUI has been extreme, and Floyd pled guilty to extreme DUI, not just regular DUI, so Roger has a basis to invoke that.)

Well all Floyd has to hint at is that he plans to sign with the Jets and his suspension will be one game. If he hints the Pats then it's gonna be:

images

With no possibility of parole.

Definitely want him back. Whenever a big play needs to happen his name just seems to keep coming up, I'd hate to lose him at this point when we're still definitely fighting for Superbowls. Even if he can't be out there on every snap, his ability to execute plays on critical downs is irreplaceable. He's exactly the sort of receiver a quarterback like Brady can make best use of too.

I'm as big an Amendola fan as it gets and even I don't think there is any chance he will return without a huge paycut.
Depends on what "paycut" means.

If it's based on what he is slated to make which is big bucks, then no. If that it what DA expects, bye-bye.

If they are asking him to take a a steep cut based on what he has made on average the last two years then that seems unfair.

I think he'll be back. BB knows his value but needs to keep his pay commensurate with his prod and the amount he plays

Depends on what "paycut" means.

If it's based on what he is slated to make which is big bucks, then no. If that it what DA expects, bye-bye.

If they are asking him to take a a steep cut based on what he has made on average the last two years then that seems unfair.

It will be close to what he's been making, not what he was supposed to make. Sucks for Amendola but given his consolation prize he should still be smiling.

I wonder if that might actually keep Floyd in the picture. If he doesn't need to occupy a roster spot to start the season, and his salary (whatever it would be) wouldn't be guaranteed, he could be quality depth in case of injury the first few weeks. And if nobody gets injured, just cut him.

The WR market has been down this year. Even a guy like Alshon Jeffery had to settle for a 1-year, $9.5M deal. So I thought someone would have taken a chance on Floyd. I wonder if we might get him back on a one-year deal for a couple of million dollars.

It will be close to what he's been making, not what he was supposed to make. Sucks for Amendola but given his consolation prize he should still be smiling.

Which is what, $2.5m? Only DA can decide if that's ok and since he's done it twice before I suspect we'll see DA in the fold next year.

With that said, this team needs another $6m in cap space like a hole in the head. They are going to roll so much over for next year it'll be absurd.

Plus it's the Patriots. Roger will come down hard on us for picking him up.

Id be happy with him staying even at the big money price.... He made some million dollar plays like that fourth down.

The Patriots are sitting on nearly $30 million in cap space which they basically cannot use, and they'll probably be rolling over more than $20 million next year. If they come to Amendola and ask him to take a paycut just to let it sit in Kraft's pocket, he should rightly tell the Patriots to get ****ed after all he's done for the team.

I get that fans assign arbitrary salary values to a player, but that's not the way this works. They signed a contract and they should honor it if they don't want him playing elsewhere in 2017, and they're a much better team with Amendola than without him, and they don't win the 2014 or 2016 Super Bowl without him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back