PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Aaron Rodgers better than Tom Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point of the season, who gives a ****. If Brady breaks Marino's record and we lose the first game of the playoffs again, what does it matter? If Rogers lead the Pack to an undefeated season, and they get bounced from the playoffs, what does it matter?

Comparing individuals in a game where so much is dependent on others is one of the most futile activities one can do.

SHOW ME THE W's I'll leave the stats to Skip Bayless

rodgers is just a system qb

This is like asking if the Persians had a better warrior than the Spartans.

Any Pats fan who would take Rodgers ahead of Brady is nuts. Rodgers is a great QB but TB is our QB and will be until he says otherwise. Maybe then and only then we can trade for a 30+ year old Rodgers to take the slack.

Last edited:
Rodgers' mobility puts him ahead of Brady IMO.

The last few weeks, Rodgers has been better. Brady was better at the start of the season. I think Rodgers will probably win the MVP (assuming the season continues the way it has). Personally, I don't care who is better. I am happy we have Brady. The Packers fans are happy they have Rodgers. What else matters?

Last edited:
I won't penalize Aaron for sitting on the bench for the first 3 years of his career because he really didn't have a shot in GB for reasons beyond his control. That said, he did sit. Brady had already won a ring already 3 years in after sitting out his first NFL season. Aaron's first three seasons as a starting QB were a disappointing mixed bag (how quickly we forget). He had a little Favre in him, possibly by osmosis. Three years in as a starter Brady had two rings... And Brady was playing at the time in a much tougher conference (and still may be playing in one although the NFC appears at times to be on the rise recently).

Last season at one point it was debatable if Rodgers would be around long enough to have a shot at a HOF career due to a propensity for being seriously concussed. And by his own admission he was not devoting enough time to preparation and his inconsistent performances were reflecting that. He basically rededicated himself to do that going forward (I believe after experiencing an epiphany during one of his concussion related time outs). But we won't know for a while if he can maintain that level of focus and dedication indefinitely, as Brady has. So far he's about 10 games into elevating his focus...while Brady has already maintained his for a decade.

So, is he better than Tom Brady today? Nope. Does he have a chance to one day be? Possibly but not as probably as in the moment media spin leads some to believe. Things will invariably change in his personal and professional life over time and how he deals with or adapts to those changes remains to be seen (and for one thing he is known to have rabbit ears when it comes to criticism...). I remember when Carson Palmer was the guy self proclaimed smart mediots would pick to build their team of the future around because comparatively Brady was already heading for the back nine as he approached 30... Lots of guys flash greatness. What eventually seperates the flashers from the arguable GOAT contenders is consistency of performance and impact over time.

I also think GB inadvertently benefitted from the lockout because it altered the way their ensuing off season unfolded in a way winners in the recent past had to fight through. A lot less post SB hype and distraction and a lot less organized right back to the grind mentality (GB players never did conduct off season OTA's) as well as a lot less opportunity for their team to get poached in FA or for their competitors to upgrade via FA.

The last few weeks, Rodgers has been better. Brady was better at the start of the season. I think Rodgers will probably win the MVP (assuming the season continues the way it has). Personally, I don't care who is better. I am happy we have Brady. The Packers fans are happy they have Rodgers. What else matters?

Oddly Belichick seems to think that Brady has been better the last few weeks than the stats seemed to indicate he was at the start of the season... But what does he know.

Oddly Belichick seems to think that Brady has been better the last few weeks than the stats seemed to indicate he was at the start of the season... But what does he know.

It isn't a knock on Brady when I said that. Rodgers has had back to back huge games. It is more about Rodgers picking up his game than what Brady is doing.

It's very close right now. If he keeps playing like this, he has a very good argument.

It's a long season though let's see how he and the Packers handle being the favorites, something Brady's had to deal with for the last 8 or 9 seasons

Rodgers has an absolutely ridiculous amount of weapons. I still want to see him take a mediocre team far. That's the same problem I have with Steve Young. Great stats, won a lot of games, but he inherited the most talented team in the league, isn't that what he was supposed to do? We haven't seen Rodgers dealing with any kind of adversity as a starter yet.

5 games into this season, maybe. If Rodgers isn't playing better than Brady he's certainly no worse. Maybe 1a and 1b is the best way to rank them.

I keep hearing from all the sports pundits of how Rodgers is the best player in the NFL right now. He's certainly playing extremely well, but is he playing better than Brady? What do you think?

keep in mind I'm just talking about this season so far and not all time. Brady's three rings and many records speak for themselves

He has a much much better defense and just hasn't had that one 4 INT game Brady had, by week 17 Brady should be hands down the MVP and best player on paper, he already is on the field.

The excitement around rodgers is due to the fact that he appears to have the accuracy and intangibles of brady, the quick release of marino, and the agility and arm strength of elway. Whether he can produce over a long period of time is the only question mark. For one game, I would feel good about taking either one.

I'm a sucker for athleticism, and the QB roll out is a dimension that the Patriots will never have. But pitching it to Jennings is a dimension the TFB will never have.
Thru game 5, Rodgers gets the nod. Going forward, GB has a much easier schedule than NE, so I suspect that Rodgers should have a decisive edge in stats by year end. I'll look at the GB/SD game as a good comparative test.

He has a much much better defense and just hasn't had that one 4 INT game Brady had, by week 17 Brady should be hands down the MVP and best player on paper, he already is on the field.

Welker is the mvp.

However, Jetsfan1 says that Mark Sanchez has the "higher ceiling".

I really don't care. They are both as good as each other, I just want to see them both face off in the Super Bowl this year! Rodgers might be a little more mobile and Rodgers is just 4 interceptions less than Brady. Brady has played legitimate pass defenses though, Brady torched the same defense Joe Flacco struggled against at home.

I keep hearing from all the sports pundits of how Rodgers is the best player in the NFL right now. He's certainly playing extremely well, but is he playing better than Brady? What do you think?

keep in mind I'm just talking about this season so far and not all time. Brady's three rings and many records speak for themselves
does it really matter if he is or not?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk