PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Aaron Rodgers better than Tom Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference in the two is Rodgers feet. He can extend a play with his feet and Tom can't. TB still controls the game better IMO. Also, just doesn't have the big-play wr's GB has. I'm a firm believer in to the victor go the spoils. When we won. It was easy to gloat. Now that GB has won. They can say their guy is the best. He won. We lost 2 straight playoff games at home. We used to ridicule Colts fans for discussing stats when we were winning. Now many on this sight sound the same. Brady did this. Brady did that. We scored x amount of points. Went 14-2 in reg. season. Let's win SB XLVI!! Then, we can gloat.

Rodgers is playing great right now. The question is whether he can sustain it all season long.

Brees had a great year in 2009, but struggled a bit in 2010. He looks like he's getting back to where he was though, but it's just a reminder that continued excellence is incredibly difficult.

The level of competition hasn't been the same so we'll see how Rodgers adjusts to tougher defenses. He's certainly worthy of the discussion, though I would still take our guy. Long term though, there's no doubting he could be king of the league.

Last edited:
However, Jetsfan1 says that Mark Sanchez has the "higher ceiling".

what is funny is that you are obviously being sarcastic, yet,THAT is a true statement...he DOES say that.

I'll take Brady's ability to read defenses over Rodgers any day. Rodgers has the mobility so that gives him the luxury of improvising if he initially reads the drefense wrong. Both are extremely accurate. Rodgers has a quicker release. And as good as Welker and our TE's have played so far this year, GB's receivers overall is a better group which also factors in how great Rodgers has played.

Not to mention the level of competition he's faced. One team with a winning record. Brady has faced far better defenses and teams with offenses in better stride out of the gate playing behind a defense of his own that was struggling to put it mildly - not to mention battling teamwide injuries on both sides of the ball.

They are very close this year. Let us compare their careers after retirement of both

Depends on what you mean by "best."

If neither threw another pass in his lifetime, one is a lock for first round induction into Canton, the other would be a long shot for ever getting in.

However, if I was to build a team today, given how they are playing currently, age, injury history and future prospects then Rodgers not Brady would be my first choice.

IMO Rodgers is better right now but it's pretty close. Rodger's ability to extend plays with his feet gives him the edge.

As of this very moment, Rodgers is better. He has the accuracy of Brady and the unbelievable agility of a Tebow. Quite the combo. Brady is a dead duck when the pocket collapses or a blitzer is free (as evidenced by those 4 sacks yesterday). Rodgers escapes and extends those plays 90% of the time.

Lets' not dismiss the talents of the Pats o-line either. Green Bay's line is in shambles and what does Rodgers do? Shrugs and runs around making plays.

You put Rodgers behind this line with these running backs, tight ends and Welker and you might rethink your bias.

As of this very moment, Rodgers is better. He has the accuracy of Brady and the unbelievable agility of a Tebow. Quite the combo. Brady is a dead duck when the pocket collapses or a blitzer is free (as evidenced by those 4 sacks yesterday). Rodgers escapes and extends those plays 90% of the time.

Lets' not dismiss the talents of the Pats o-line either. Green Bay's line is in shambles and what does Rodgers do? Shrugs and runs around making plays.

You put Rodgers behind this line with these running backs, tight ends and Welker and you might rethink your bias.

I don't know... if Brady played on the Packers you'd see more precise timing patterns with less improvisation. Likewise, with Rodgers on the Patriots you would not see the same precision based passing attack. I remember when Brady played the Packers and Steelers last season, and adjustments were made due to strong opposing pass rushes. The point is that if the Pats line was not this good, Brady would certainly make adjustments to get the ball out quicker.

But overall, I don't think the question should be about Rodgers versus Brady; it should be whether Rodgers is playing the best football right now of any QB of all-time. You could put him up against Marino, Montana, Manning, and Brady in their primes and I think he would be tough to beat. However, the sample size is still pretty small.

People fell for the same argument last year, only that was with Michael Vick. Why are people so gullible?

People fell for the same argument last year, only that was with Michael Vick. Why are people so gullible?

Are you serious?

Nobody who understands football thought that Vick was even in Brady's class. He can't read a defense and has terrible accuracy.

Rodgers is the real deal, and this is coming from someone who has defended Brady through the years against Bledsoe, Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, etc.

Aaron Rodgers might wind up being the greatest quarterback of all-time, or he might fizzle out like Kurt Warner. But right now, he is the only player in the NFL who is definitely in Brady's class.

You're comparing Michael Vick to Aaron Rodgers?????????????????

That, right there, is full on bizarre.

Last edited:
You're comparing Michael Vick to Aaron Rodgers?????????????????

That, right there, is full on bizarre.

No, I'm comparing the rush to find the "next one" so early on, and the gullibility of people who are so willing to believe the hype. Brady was, far and away, the best QB in the NFL last year. Have you seen any signs of decline so far this year?

Brady tied a record for most consecutive games with 2+ TDs. Brady is on pace to best Marino's passing yards record. Because Hernandez muffed that TD catch, Brady threw just his first red zone INT at home in his NFL career, leaving him with a better than 90-1 TD/INT ratio in that area. The Patriots are chasing the all-time record for most consecutive games scoring 30+ points.

No, Rodgers is not better than Brady.

All those things do not make an argument for how Brady is better in the present.

8 pages and counting on a discussion that has no good answers (Though Mo had a great take a few pages ago) The fact is that it doesn't matter a bit who is better. It isn't going to add or subtract a single win the rest of the Regular Season. In fact the only time when this question will REALLY matter will be if the 2 teams in question end up in the Superbowl. THEN it will matter. However until that day comes, its all wasted effort and band space.

Besides if we wanted to engage in a totally unanswerable question, isn't the McCourty/Bryant discussion vastly more interesting ;)

Last edited:
I don't really care for Aaron Rodgers either way, but I will say in the NFL people have a short term memory. It happened with Peyton-Brady, Peyton-Steve McNair, Brady-Brees,etc. Therefore, in this league its all about what have you done lately. If Aaron Rodgers have a bad game and Tom throws for 7 TDs then people will be anointing #12. It happens all the time. I wouldn't get into all the hype either way. People was kissing Brady's toes 3 weeks ago before he threw 4 picks vs Buffalo.

I don't know... if Brady played on the Packers you'd see more precise timing patterns with less improvisation. Likewise, with Rodgers on the Patriots you would not see the same precision based passing attack. I remember when Brady played the Packers and Steelers last season, and adjustments were made due to strong opposing pass rushes. The point is that if the Pats line was not this good, Brady would certainly make adjustments to get the ball out quicker.

But overall, I don't think the question should be about Rodgers versus Brady; it should be whether Rodgers is playing the best football right now of any QB of all-time. You could put him up against Marino, Montana, Manning, and Brady in their primes and I think he would be tough to beat. However, the sample size is still pretty small.

Fair points. I agree with you that Brady would be getting the ball out quicker.

I think Rodgers is indeed better than all of those QBs you listed on a pure talent potential. I have never seen a QB possess legs, head and arm like him and I've been watching football since the late 70s.

Right now, Rodgers is the best in the league and it's not close in my mind. He's a an elite playmaker and no play is ever dead with him. You absolutely cannot say the same thing about Brady and be considered honest or unbiased. Brady needs protection. If he gets hit, he tends to have a sulky game. Rodgers is a problem no matter what his protection is.

Now if he could just stop grinning like a goofball during games...

Brady was clearly the best in the league until that one bad game with 4 interceptions. Now there is a debate going on? Sure Rodgers is younger and quicker but right now in 2011 Brady is the better QB. I think if any team could choose between Rodgers or Brady to lead their team in 2011 I think most would chose Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft