PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Aaron Rodgers better than Tom Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this.

The Steelers are old on defense, they showed it in the last few games of the regular season last year, the playoffs, the Superbowl and it's continuing now. If the refs had called the Tuck Rule on Sanchez in that Steelers/Jets game, The Jets (I hate to say it) would probably be the champs right now.

The Packers are the most overrated team and especially QB, I've ever seen and I thought the Eagles and Mike Vick were real overrated.

Atlanta sucks, this is a team who let Jay Cutler, the Eagles and Seattle score nearly 30 pts. Rodgers is trash for even struggling against them in the 1st place. He hasn't beaten any defense worthy of the media over-hyping him like this. Just because Brady sucked against the Jets last year in the playoffs it doesn't mean he worse than Rodgers. The Jets were a good defense last year and confused him, The Ravens... were a very good defense the previous year. Rodgers stunk the joint up bad against the Bears in the championship game, however, he got a defense to keep him in it. Brady can't afford to make mistakes playing with a 30-32 ranked defense all the time against great AFC defenses.

Rodgers playing those scrub teams in the NFC playoffs is a JOKE. Him being the future or the best QB in the league right now is a joke. I can name 5 better than him or just as good as he is. If I had to make Rodgers a top 5 QB is only due to lack of good QBs in the league.

1.Brady
2.Brees
3.Stafford
4.Fitzpatrick (I hate to admit it)
5. E.Manning (He sucks but he's no worse than Rodgers.)

He is nothing but a thing of the moment. As soon as the Lions are through with him we won't hear nothing else about him, until he gets on some kind of winning streak, which I'm sure he'll do since there's no other good defenses in the NFC. He may be a good QB but he's nowhere near living up to the hype he's getting.

stopped reading right here

I guess now that Manning is out they have to try and argue someone else is better than Brady? These questions are pointless, boring, and yet always seem to trigger an angry response.

Its just as dumb as asking of Calvin Johnson is better than Moss in his prime..moss was, hands down, THE BEST.

Its just as dumb as asking of Calvin Johnson is better than Moss in his prime..moss was, hands down, THE BEST.

I'd put it this way: Both Calvin Johnson and Aaron Rodgers could end up being as good/better than Brady/Moss in their prime... but they aren't there yet and odds are they won't ever get there.

While the stats are close (favors Rodgers in some areas), it doesn't take into account how they have ACTUALLY played. It's called the eyeball test. Brady is in complete control of the offense, making impossible throws, breaking records, and his "mistakes" are terrible luck, tipped or dropped passes. Of the 6 picks, 4 were perfect throws in tight windows where the receiver screwed up, 1 was a freak helmet deflection, and 1 was a legitimate bad throw.

I also think Rodgers has the better WRs. No doubt we have the best TE group in the league, but outside of Welker, it's all Brady. Branch is our second best WR and he's nothing outside of NE because it's all about his route running and connection with Brady. Not knocking the guy, I love Branch, but outside of quick pass to Welker, Brady has to make perfect throws to get completions.

this year rodgers is playing a lot better. Quicker release, deadly accuracy, better movement in the pocket. Career wise, who cares, if NE plays GB in the SB, past career won't mean anything. I fear that if my goal does happen and NE goes to the SB, GB would blow them out. This defense stops no one, and GB's can sometimes stop someone.

:confused:

:mad:

:eek:

Wonders never end.

Right now, Rodgers is more popular than Brady since Greenbay is the league's best team overall. Brady is still the best QB in the league to me.

Nobody does what he does with what he has.

I'm not sure what you mean by that last part. He has the best offensive line, a top 3 receiver, 2 of the top tight ends in the game, and a HOF coach.

He's not exactly achieving against the odds...

I'd put it this way: Both Calvin Johnson and Aaron Rodgers could end up being as good/better than Brady/Moss in their prime... but they aren't there yet and odds are they won't ever get there.

While the stats are close (favors Rodgers in some areas), it doesn't take into account how they have ACTUALLY played. It's called the eyeball test. Brady is in complete control of the offense, making impossible throws, breaking records, and his "mistakes" are terrible luck, tipped or dropped passes. Of the 6 picks, 4 were perfect throws in tight windows where the receiver screwed up, 1 was a freak helmet deflection, and 1 was a legitimate bad throw.

I also think Rodgers has the better WRs. No doubt we have the best TE group in the league, but outside of Welker, it's all Brady. Branch is our second best WR and he's nothing outside of NE because it's all about his route running and connection with Brady. Not knocking the guy, I love Branch, but outside of quick pass to Welker, Brady has to make perfect throws to get completions.

i dunno, rodgers seems to have complete control of green bays offense too?

I hate when people get all "awkward" when someone compares another athlete to their favorite athlete. Just got to take off the homer glasses and assess a situation legitimately.

Rodgers HAS the chance to be as good as brady (all time rankings). Will he? Who knows.

Is rodgers as good as brady is RIGHT NOW? You bet.

if i recall, green bays second to last (with patriots being last) in passing defense... so i guess their defense does make a difference

tests, you are just picking one stat, on other stats, rushing yards, overall yards, INTs, fumbles, QB passer rating, the packers D is a solid 7-10 spots above the Pats D . . .

as for the OP, with respect to their careers TB is simply better as he had done more for a longer time . . .

as for this season, i got to say that Rogers does have the slight edge, but he has played against weaker defenses . . . and perhaps if he had the pats D, GB may not be 5-0 but perhaps 4-1 or something . . .it is a 16 game season and we'll just have to wait and see how things look as the season goes alomg . . .

I'll leave the stats and number crunching to you all. Just give me Brady and send me on my way. Thanks.

i dunno, rodgers seems to have complete control of green bays offense too?

I hate when people get all "awkward" when someone compares another athlete to their favorite athlete. Just got to take off the homer glasses and assess a situation legitimately.

Rodgers HAS the chance to be as good as brady (all time rankings). Will he? Who knows.

Is rodgers as good as brady is RIGHT NOW? You bet.

I never said Rodgers wasn't good. Rodgers is no doubt the 2nd best QB in the league and has been fantastic the last year +, but even then he hasn't been as good as Brady. The ONLY edge I'd give Rodgers over Brady is the fact that he actually played well in the playoffs and won the SB. Now, I'd love to trade situations (Rodgers being better than Brady, but Brady winning the SB), but the fact remains.

End results are that yes, Rodgers had the more successful season as he won the SB, but Brady still had the better regular season and I'd still stick to him in the playoffs.

Right now, I give the edge to Brady. Rodgers is playing at pretty much just as high a level, but the edge goes to Brady based on his career. If I had to bet on who had the better season by week 17, my money would be on Brady. When Rodgers puts together a couple more seasons of playing at a high level, I'll take off the "handicap" and give him more credit. Playing well over a relatively short time frame does not = being that good of a player. Time will tell if he can keep playing this good, Brady is already there.

I never said Rodgers wasn't good. Rodgers is no doubt the 2nd best QB in the league and has been fantastic the last year +, but even then he hasn't been as good as Brady. The ONLY edge I'd give Rodgers over Brady is the fact that he actually played well in the playoffs and won the SB. Now, I'd love to trade situations (Rodgers being better than Brady, but Brady winning the SB), but the fact remains.

End results are that yes, Rodgers had the more successful season as he won the SB, but Brady still had the better regular season and I'd still stick to him in the playoffs.

Right now, I give the edge to Brady. Rodgers is playing at pretty much just as high a level, but the edge goes to Brady based on his career. If I had to bet on who had the better season by week 17, my money would be on Brady. When Rodgers puts together a couple more seasons of playing at a high level, I'll take off the "handicap" and give him more credit. Playing well over a relatively short time frame does not = being that good of a player. Time will tell if he can keep playing this good, Brady is already there.

good post. I agree with this. Roddgers is playing on the same level as brady, but brady has the edge due to his overall career. He rarely disappoints.

IMO only thing that can stop rodgers from becoming an all time great are injuries. Lets hope that does not happen (because no nfl fan would want to see a great qb prospect go down).

From what i have seen of rodgers though, he seems to have that "cool under pressure" vibe going for him.. similar to brady.

So what you guys are saying is that because Brady isn't the hands-down best player over every possible set of games, he isn't the GOAT anymore?

Brady might not be the best player on any given Sunday. He might not be the best player on any given week, any given month, or even any given year. Sure, Rodgers might be outplaying Brady over the most recent time span. But guess what? We've seen that before. Brady-Manning. Brady-Brees. Brady-Rivers. Brady-Vick. Brady-Rodgers. What's the one constant in all of this? TOM EFFING BRADY.

Rodgers is playing the best football of his career right now, and he needs to continue doing so to be in the discussion for GOAT. But you know what? He probably won't, because that's not how statistics work. If Brady played like he did in 2007 every year, generally agreed to be the best regular season for a quarterback ever, and the best of Brady's career, there wouldn't even be anyone else in the discussion. But again, THAT IS NOT HOW STATISTICS WORK.

Yes, Rodgers has played better over the most recent stretch of time, but not by much. The difference is that this is the best Rodgers has ever played, but it's just a normal day in the office for Tom Brady. For me, it's not even close. If Rodgers continues putting up monster stats and winning Super Bowls, we'll talk. But I wouldn't bank on it.

Brees and Manning did outplay Brady in '09. Who could deny that?

Vick was not better than Brady last year, nor was there much of an argument. In addition to the many threads on this forum arguing Brady for MVP, Brady also received 50 out of 50 MVP and All-Pro votes; first time in NFL history there was no second team all-pro quarterback.

Thus far, Rodgers is outplaying Brady this year. 6 INTs to 2 INTs is really all you need to know, and that is the difference between 5-0 and 4-1. I hope Brady comes back to win his third MVP award, but you can't live in denial.

There was a HUGE argument for atleast 2 months, I spent hours hearing the whole Brady can't run crap, same as this year, you must not go to neutral boards that are not pro New England.

And no that isn't enough, Garrard 3 INTs to Brady 8 INT wasn't all we needed to know or the difference between 11-5 and 16-0. Lets not act like a few tips takes Brady out the picture.

^Exactly. Brady has been playing at this ridiculous level since '07. It isn't just a one year thing or a Moss thing, Brady has been at this record breaking level throughout his 'prime' right now.

I'm also not about to give the edge to Rodgers on pure play this season either. 5 of Brady's 6 INTs were NOT his fault and were actually really well thrown balls. Hell, Brady probably should have had 3TDs and no INTs this past Sunday if it wasn't for Hernandez and a few missed opportunities (Branch dropped TD, Welker getting pulled down at the 5 on the bomb, etc). His 100.7 QB Rating should have been 123.3 or 132.3. That's the level he actually played that game, not to mention all the pass Welker and a few others couldn't haul in. I rewatch the game and Brady made no more than 3, maybe 4 overthrows, one of which (Hernandez deep attempt) looked more like Hernandez not reaching full speed (early in the game coming off the injury...) than a legitimate overthrow.

Again, that's not to say Rodgers isn't playing great, maybe even as good as Brady. Better though? No. Maybe one week he has a better game, but so far through 5 weeks, Brady has performed at least as well.

So what you guys are saying is that because Brady isn't the hands-down best player over every possible set of games, he isn't the GOAT anymore?

Brady might not be the best player on any given Sunday. He might not be the best player on any given week, any given month, or even any given year. Sure, Rodgers might be outplaying Brady over the most recent time span. But guess what? We've seen that before. Brady-Manning. Brady-Brees. Brady-Rivers. Brady-Vick. Brady-Rodgers. What's the one constant in all of this? TOM EFFING BRADY.

Rodgers is playing the best football of his career right now, and he needs to continue doing so to be in the discussion for GOAT. But you know what? He probably won't, because that's not how statistics work. If Brady played like he did in 2007 every year, generally agreed to be the best regular season for a quarterback ever, and the best of Brady's career, there wouldn't even be anyone else in the discussion. But again, THAT IS NOT HOW STATISTICS WORK.

Yes, Rodgers has played better over the most recent stretch of time, but not by much. The difference is that this is the best Rodgers has ever played, but it's just a normal day in the office for Tom Brady. For me, it's not even close. If Rodgers continues putting up monster stats and winning Super Bowls, we'll talk. But I wouldn't bank on it.

the problem with this argument IMO is that HOW DO YOU KNOW that the level rodgers is currently playing at is not just his normal level? How do you know if he is even in his prime? He is after all only 27 and can improve on many things.

Like i said, barring injury and if the packers office continues to improve and keep the packers intact, rodgers will be one of the great qbs

^Exactly. Brady has been playing at this ridiculous level since '07. It isn't just a one year thing or a Moss thing, Brady has been at this record breaking level throughout his 'prime' right now.

I'm also not about to give the edge to Rodgers on pure play this season either. 5 of Brady's 6 INTs were NOT his fault and were actually really well thrown balls. Hell, Brady probably should have had 3TDs and no INTs this past Sunday if it wasn't for Hernandez and a few missed opportunities (Branch dropped TD, Welker getting pulled down at the 5 on the bomb, etc). His 100.7 QB Rating should have been 123.3 or 132.3. That's the level he actually played that game, not to mention all the pass Welker and a few others couldn't haul in. I rewatch the game and Brady made no more than 3, maybe 4 overthrows, one of which (Hernandez deep attempt) looked more like Hernandez not reaching full speed (early in the game coming off the injury...) than a legitimate overthrow.

Again, that's not to say Rodgers isn't playing great, maybe even as good as Brady. Better though? No. Maybe one week he has a better game, but so far through 5 weeks, Brady has performed at least as well.

this is true. a lot of bradies ints werent his fault (unfortunately others do not see it that way).

How awesome would it be for a rodgers/brady sb with brady winning? :D

At this point in the season, I'd say Rodgers has played better. He does have better receivers than Brady, but Brady also has a significantly better offensive line.

In fact, from the limited amount I've seen of the Packers, I'd say their oline is the biggest weakness on the team. And I know the Pats have one of the best, if not the best, olines in the league.

As far as overall careers go, obviously anyone with a lick of sense will say Brady. Rodgers has definite hall of fame potential, and in my opinion, he could become the best QB in Green Bay history, and one of the best of all time--right up there with Brady. But he still has a long way to go to prove it.

Last edited:
At this point in the season, I'd say Rodgers has played better. He does have better receivers than Brady, but Brady also has a significantly better offensive line.

In fact, from the limited amount I've seen of the Packers, I'd say their oline is the biggest weakness on the team. And I know the Pats have one of the best, if not the best, olines in the league.

As far as overall careers go, obviously anyone with a lick of sense will say Brady. Rodgers has definite hall of fame potential, and in my opinion, he could become the best QB in Green Bay history, and one of the best of all time--right up there with Brady. But he still has a long way to go to prove it.

i don't get why anyone would want to compare "overall careers" with these qb's. OBVIOUSLY brady is >... rodgers isn't even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call