PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting statement by Pete Carroll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably one of the dumbest moves in Patriots history. In fact, it's not like Martin broke the bank. I think he signed a 6 year 36 million dollar contract at that time. Not only did they let a young, dependable RB go, but then had to use that 1st round pick to replace him. How can you improve your team if you re-draft the players you just lost? That move bothered me until the Pats traded for Corey Dillon. That was a long freaking time.

As for Robert Edwards, his injury was unfortunate and I believe that BB would've been a HC somewhere else and Carroll would've still would've been head coach of the Pats had Edwards played in '99. The Pats offense was rolling in '99 until they had to run the football. You know they would've easily won the division with Testervade's injury and made the playoffs if they had a running game. Terry Allen in the backfield was a complete joke.

Excellent post.
All I have to add is that Curtis Martin was the best individual player on that team.
And Pete Carroll is a stand up guy.

The upside of course is that it all worked out for us with Belichick coming back here and taking us to the promised land.

As great as Curtis was for the pats (his best years were in NY). Aside from the one highlight reel run in XXXI, he did squat. I mean nothing. Absolutey shut down by green bay...and the pats fed him the ball early and often in the first half. Think he rushed for a whopping 40 yards or something like that. If he had contributed anything to take the pressure of Bledsoe, the pats dynasty starts right there.

11 carries for 42 yards vs the #1 defense in the NFL playing behind most of the game is why CM didn't do much.

He sat the last three or four regular season games the following year. Did not suit up in the playoffs. Abdominal injury if I remember correctly.Wonder how far the pats go that year with him on the field? Any doubt they score more than 6 points VS pitt in the divisional game? the Pats AT LEAST are back in the title game that year and possibly return to the SB.

So that is CMs fault? If he plays, I agree. They go farther.

Martin was great, no question, pats got lucky drafting him so late. But he frustrated me quite often. The guy always seemed as likey to LOSE yardage a gain it..............

Their o-line was a pass blocking line. Lane Rucci, Roberts, Armstrong and Wohlabaugh were not roadgraters.

Oh and like was mentioned earlier, I will always wonder what the pats could have done with Robert Edwards.....he had game, shame his carreer was cut short. Latter half of the nineties the patiots were desperate for a running game......My guess is they would have continued to contend, possibly brought home a championship or two..........

Contend, yes. Championship? Not w/ the Denver team there, Pete Carroll coaching and Grier making the picks.

Tickle me Pete is still pumped and jacked... he should have stayed in college..

Curtis Martin was the best player. The guy is a HOF in my eyes. Best RB in patriot history.

Best RB in patriot history.

That is an interesting statement. CM was only here 3 years. Cunningham ( a little before my time) was here 8y, but obviously CM was a better RB. You could say that SC had a better Pats career. Tough call.

If you say that CM is the best Pat RB of all-time, Dillon needs to be brought into the convo as well. He was here the same number of years. CM ran 600 yards more, but Dillon had more TDs. Is CM better than Dillon? Different runners, IMO. CM had a better overall statistical career and is a certain HoF whereas CD is a fringe guy, but CD won a SB. I liked Dillon's running style more but that's irrelevant to the the discussion.

Not sure there is a clear-cut better runner. It's a good debate.

Last edited:
As great as Curtis was for the pats (his best years were in NY). Aside from the one highlight reel run in XXXI, he did squat. I mean nothing. Absolutey shut down by green bay...and the pats fed him the ball early and often in the first half. Think he rushed for a whopping 40 yards or something like that. If he had contributed anything to take the pressure of Bledsoe, the pats dynasty starts right there.

He sat the last three or four regular season games the following year. Did not suit up in the playoffs. Abdominal injury if I remember correctly.Wonder how far the pats go that year with him on the field? Any doubt they score more than 6 points VS pitt in the divisional game? the Pats AT LEAST are back in the title game that year and possibly return to the SB.

Martin was great, no question, pats got lucky drafting him so late. But he frustrated me quite often. The guy always seemed as likey to LOSE yardage a gain it..............

Oh and like was mentioned earlier, I will always wonder what the pats could have done with Robert Edwards.....he had game, shame his carreer was cut short. Latter half of the nineties the patiots were desperate for a running game......My guess is they would have continued to contend, possibly brought home a championship or two..........

bingo.....martin led the league in carries for minus yardage

Tends to happen when you have over 3500 career carries.

I should have added as a percentage of carries........this was his biggest weakness......
barry sanders was another one who got caught behind the LOS alot.......just the nature of the player......I wouldn't use it as a knock against him since martin more than offset this with his recieving skills.......with the jets, he helped make an otherwise lousy team mediocre and when mediocre, he made them good......

the guy always did what he was told.....and that goes a long way in this league

I should have added as a percentage of carries........this was his biggest weakness......
barry sanders was another one who got caught behind the LOS alot.......just the nature of the player......I wouldn't use it as a knock against him since martin more than offset this with his recieving skills.......with the jets, he helped make an otherwise lousy team mediocre and when mediocre, he made them good......

the guy always did what he was told.....and that goes a long way in this league

CM did dance more than the ave RB no question. I agree that was his style however another part was that his o-lines were marginal at best. There was some talent with Armstrong, Mawae, Fabini but that's pretty much it. None of the lines were the 1992 Cowboys for sure.

CM made up for it with his quickness and vision.

Martin's greatness = his durability.

Consider that Robert Edwards gave us perhaps an even more potent weapon that Martin in his first year, because he always gained extra yards with his great wiggle, and he was a good receiver. He kept that offense plowing forward.

Thanks for the 1 year Robert.

Consider that Robert Edwards gave us perhaps an even more potent weapon that Martin in his first year, because he always gained extra yards with his great wiggle, and he was a good receiver. He kept that offense plowing forward.

Thanks for the 1 year Robert.

Got the chance to see him play with the Montreal Alouettes, well after his injury and past 30 years old...he was still pretty good, but of course it was the CFL, not the NFL. That being said, he was still better than Ricky Williams was with the Toronto Argos.

Consider that Robert Edwards gave us perhaps an even more potent weapon that Martin in his first year, .

Robert Edwards was not better than CM in their rookie years. C'mon.

Earlier in the thread someone was asking who was the better back, Dillion or Martin. Martins recieving skills make the decision tougher but I'd take Dillion all day long over Martin as a pure runner......

I'll bold in red the players that were decent or better choices.

1 17 Damien Woody C Boston College
1 28 Andy Katzenmoyer MLB Ohio State
2 46 Kevin Faulk RB Louisiana State

3 91 Tony George DB Florida
5 154 Derrick Fletcher T Baylor
6 180 Marcus Washington -- Colorado
7 227 Michael Bishop QB Kansas State
7 241 Sean Morey WR Brown
J'Juan Cherry DB Arizona State

1998 - New England Patriots
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 18 Robert Edwards RB Georgia
1 22 Tebucky Jones DB Syracuse

2 52 Tony Simmons WR Wisconsin
2 54 Rod Rutledge TE Alabama
3 81 Chris Floyd RB Michigan
3 83 Greg Spires DE Florida State
4 115 Leonta Rheams DT Houston
5 145 Ron Merkerson LB Colorado
6 176 Harold Shaw RB Southern Mississippi
7 211 Jason Andersen C Brigham Young

1997 - New England Patriots
1 29 Chris Canty DB Kansas State
2 59 Brandon Mitchell DE Texas A&M
3 61 Sedrick Shaw RB Iowa
3 89 Chris Carter DB Texas
4 97 Damon Denson G Michigan
4 125 Ed Ellis T Buffalo
5 159 Vernon Crawford LB Florida State
6 192 Tony Gaiter WR Miami (Fla.)
7 230 Scott Rehberg T Central Michigan

1996 - New England Patriots (1/2 credit for Grier)
1 7 Terry Glenn WR Ohio State
2 36 Lawyer Milloy SS Washington
3 86 Tedy Bruschi LB Arizona

4 101 Heath Irwin G Colorado
4 119 Chris Sullivan DE Boston College
4 124 Kantroy Barber RB West Virginia
5 139 John Elmore G Texas
5 149 Christian Peter DT Nebraska
6 173 Chris Griffin TE New Mexico
6 195 Marrio Grier RB Tennessee-Chattanooga
6 206 Devin Wyman DT Kentucky State
7 216 Lovett Purnell TE West Virginia
7 247 J.R. Conrad C Oklahoma

A lot of misses, but there were one or two good picks every year.

Ed Ellis (1997) was a terrible pick. Scott Rehberg, the 7th-rounder, had a better career than he did.

Brandon Mitchell was a bad pick, too, because the more highly-rated Jason Taylor was still available.

Robert Edwards, based on his history at Georgia, was an injury waiting to happen. Besides, the smarter pick should've been DL Vonnie Holliday.

Tebucky Jones wasn't even the best DB available. I wanted Booby to draft OT Flozell Adams instead.

I do wish that Bill had given Greg Spires a longer look as a 3rd-down Pass-Rusher...and also Marshfield MA's Sean Morey, as a WR & STer. Considering some of the WRs who drifted in & out during the early part of the decade, there should've been room here for a local kid who is/was smart, tough & reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back