PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Reiss thread on AdamV..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Not to beat a dead horse..but it seems unlikely from reading this Reiss pice that he will be back..unless he wishes just to see what is out there..If that is the case..and he IS the most sought after FA, he's history..really nothing all that new, but?? One would think he'd look more long term into things..but??
What can one say?? Going for the bucks?? I tend to think the money that will be thrown his way will be way too much for this NE team. A sad day.

It's going to be tough seeing AV kicking for another team but what can you do. The Pats have made him a decent offer but he's decided to get a bigger payday somewhere else.

In a way it's nice to see the Pats make non emotional, strictly business decisions with this team. That (and Len Bias) was the downfall of the 80's Celtics. They held onto the Big 3 way too long and haven't recovered since.

Last edited:
I'm pretty damn disappointed in Adam. It's one thing for Givens, a former 7th round pick looking for his one big payday but the Patriots would probably be within a reasonable amount of any other offer and when you factor in endorsements, etc, it's hard to imagine staying with the Patriots would hurt him financially much, if at all.

What a bummer - pick your New England patriots next kicker from this not so impressive group.....as written by Mike Reiss

"If Vinatieri signs with another club, the Patriots could be choosing a new kicker from a shallow pool of free-agent candidates which includes:

Matt Bryant -- Buccaneers
Jose Cortez – Colts
Paul Edinger -- Vikings
Ryan Longwell – Packers
Todd Peterson -- Falcons
Mike Vanderjagt -- Colts

There is also the possibility the Patriots could look to the draft – or a rookie free agent -- to fill a potential vacancy. Ohio State’s Josh Huston and Missouri State’s Jon Scifres were two of the kickers invited to the NFL Combine."

Imagine being the kicker following in AV;s kicking shoe....

If Vinatieri leaves and the Pats sign Vanderjerk, I would probably vomit in my mouth . . . every #@@#ing time he lines up to kick a FG.

ctpatsfan77 said:
If Vinatieri leaves and the Pats sign Vanderjerk, I would probably vomit in my mouth . . . every #@@#ing time he lines up to kick a FG.

The only Colt I would want on our team is the Edge and if Adam leaves I would rather have Ryan Longwell than the liqoured up kicker.

broadwayjoe said:
The only Colt I would want on our team is the Edge and if Adam leaves I would rather have Ryan Longwell than the liqoured up kicker.
Oh, I wouldn't mind Harrison, but I'd rather loath Vanderjagt on another team (preferably a despised rival), then be cleaning up hurled food items off the TV and carpet everytime he shanks a crucial kick.

Still, AV isn't gone yet; we have one story that claims he was offered a multi-year contract worth $2 million/year, but remember Miguel's warnings about trusting agent/management numbers in the press before they're posted on the NFLPA website. Let AV play the market and see what transpires, if they need to, our boys can learn to win by a touchdown and Patchick87 starts feeding the family Chinese takeout instead of pizza.

What I do not understand for AV is if he leaves he will have NFL recognition, but not face recognition in a new market. Here he can pretty much write his own ticket for advertising, signings etc. If he goes to another franchise that is not as successful as this, will he be as successful business wise as he is here??

I know there are those who say take the money, but from a big picture point of view isn't he really better off here?? If he stays here and retires from the Pats, he is set for life in so many ways.

Those sorts of things are ones that vets need to look at..agents always say go for the dough. because short term that is a winner always..and gets the agent bucks as well. Long term, why do agents give a rap at all?? They have zippo interest in that..they take their money and gone. I think it will be a hard for any kicker to come in..even a solid one. Following in AVs shoes will be so so hard!! A sad day..

Could be Adam feels like he's representing ALL kickers in his contract situation. He could be raising the bar for all future kicker contracts.

I guess he could just be greedy too.

In my opinion, he is the best clutch kicker ever.

In the regular season stats...he isn't that great at all.

Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference