PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Notes on Adalius Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess there is a chance (ala Theo/Manny 2005) but with cap-implications, trading partners, etc. I doubt it. IMO it was purely performance/attitude-related and I think all things being equal, BB wants AD on this team.

Bill is a pretty straight shooter. That's what players ultimately respect about him. If AD were fighting through things or just hit a rough patch Bill would let him know what he needed to do and why. AD got the message from his position coach at the same time the list was being released Sunday afternoon... You don't do that to a starter and potential core player unless you are pretty damn annoyed and sending a very thinly veiled message. Bill intends to let outside pressure force AD to do some soul searching. If he thought he'd simply physically lost it (as Zolak surmized) he wouldn't embarass him. He never did that to Dillon because the effort remained but his body failed him.

Who knew Adalius was such a little pansy? I guess we should have known after his whining in the offseason about the NFL season possibly being expanded to 18 games.

And I guess he whined about the Seymour trade as well, apparently. You'd think someone who has done so little would not talk so much.

While I agree that AD needs an attitude adjustment, and that he shouldn't have whined about the Big Sey trade, he's absolutely right about 18 games and I would be willing to bet most all players agree with him. 18 games is too many. There's no need. More players will get hurt, which will diminish the quality of the playoff teams. I think it would be bad for the players and bad for the fans.

If BB didn't want him he'd be gone, cap be damned. If he was playing crappy, he would take him off the field immediately, not wait a week to sit him.

I think BB was just taking advantage of playing a weak team, to get a better look at Ninkovich, Chung and Butler in real game conditions. Sending a little message to Thomas, Bodden and Springs was a figment of our and the media's, imaginations.

If he had a problem with them, they'd be in the office Monday morning, for a little one on one with the coach. We put too much into these little subtle "signals". BB has no need to be subtle, he's the boss.

Apparently, three veterans were called out by Belichick for their performance in the DEN game, and had their starting positions taken away for a week. Two responded well. The other responded with attitude and was inactivated for the game.
Aha. That makes sense.

I'm with you upstater1 and I do agree that some things that he said can be misconstrued and contorted to fuel speculation that Thomas is a slacking, prima-donna. We fans do need to be careful before burying the man.

But if you look at everything...BBs actions, Thomas' comments and Seau accerlorating his timetable to join the team b/c there is a perceived void in enforcing locker-room/player accountability (IMO validated by BB signing a 40-year old LB in Oct as oppossed to Dec) and focus on doing their jobs (BB can't do everything as he needs players to enforce his edict), it all adds up to players like Thomas requiring an attitude-adjustment. His boss told him that he didn't think that he was capable of doing his job that week and Thomas is embarassed and wants to put it behind him. Maybe Seau took him out to eat and delivered the message. Who knows

Time will tell if hes going to get with the program. I hope he does.

I definitely agree with you that there's a problem, and AT may not be a leader in the locker room. On the other hand, I don't see the quotes as popping off.

Only problem is it actually sounded more combative than it transcribes, although after that he seemed to be making a concerted effort to get them to drop it... He went from defensive and edgy to come on guys, let's just move on... so he was clearly sending mixed messages. He's miffed at Bill but he doesn't really want to delve into why Bill might be miffed at him, if you catch my drift. When they asked him if he was embarassed he started sounding like he just wanted them to move on.

He and Bill clearly have some issues and one of them is gonna have to bake up and swallow some humble pie pdq. My money's on AD.

So, you're saying this is on tape?

...He and Bill clearly have some issues and one of them is gonna have to bake up and swallow some humble pie pdq. My money's on AD.

I'm sure someone answered this already, but why is Adalius Thomas referred to as AD instead of AT?

If BB didn't want him he'd be gone, cap be damned. If he was playing crappy, he would take him off the field immediately, not wait a week to sit him.

I think BB was just taking advantage of playing a weak team, to get a better look at Ninkovich, Chung and Butler in real game conditions. Sending a little message to Thomas, Bodden and Springs was a figment of our and the media's, imaginations.

If he had a problem with them, they'd be in the office Monday morning, for a little one on one with the coach. We put too much into these little subtle "signals". BB has no need to be subtle, he's the boss.

Bill sends subtle messages all the time. His door is always open but he doesn't do a lot of one on one stroking since he expects them to be self motivated and smart enough to read his tendancies as well as opposing offenses and defenses and he's really busy with a lot of overall concerns.

And for the record he couldn't have cut this player due to cap concerns since his dead cap would have put the team over the cap.

Bill is a pretty straight shooter. That's what players ultimately respect about him. If AD were fighting through things or just hit a rough patch Bill would let him know what he needed to do and why. AD got the message from his position coach at the same time the list was being released Sunday afternoon... You don't do that to a starter and potential core player unless you are pretty damn annoyed and sending a very thinly veiled message. Bill intends to let outside pressure force AD to do some soul searching. If he thought he'd simply physically lost it (as Zolak surmized) he wouldn't embarass him. He never did that to Dillon because the effort remained but his body failed him.

Even though I think its SOP, having Patricia deliver the message was interesting to me. I wonder if AD was also undermining Patricia or if Patricia went to BB and said, "hes not ready to play" and BB agreed?

Either way, this is all Mgt 101 redux. A CEO would never tell a working-line employee that they suck. In order to maintain the reporting structure and respect for mgt, they would delegate that message to the in-line manager.

I'm sure someone answered this already, but why is Adalius Thomas referred to as AD instead of AT?
Apparenly because he misses tackles "All Day" long.

I don't know about Thomas. I really was excited about the signing, and I think he has huge potential. And in the interview he said at least twice that no person is bigger than the team, so I still have hope.

It's just annoying to see Thomas and Burgess make all the money and do nothing, while guys liek Guyton and Ninkovich produce results for peanuts.

Last edited:
So, you're saying this is on tape?

Yup. Felger and Tanguay were running segments of the interview (he was answering a group of reporters in the locker room) during their show around noontime.

Adalius has a short memory

Attachments

• tshirt.jpg
    tshirt.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 291
I still think Colvin did a better job at the same position that AD currently playing.

If BB didn't want him he'd be gone, cap be damned.

So, who else is Bill B going to cut to make room to cut AD?

He'd probably need to cut Matt Light, Jarvis Green, and Kevin Faulk (they've got the 3 biggest cap savings if cut) just to get close. Steven Neal or Vince Wilfork would be other options, with cap savings of just over a million each. Tom Brady would get you 1.5.

Actually, considering how its halfway through the season, and a lot of their salary is already paid, you'd probably need to cut ALL of them.

Last edited:
Only problem is it actually sounded more combative than it transcribes, although after that he seemed to be making a concerted effort to get them to drop it... He went from defensive and edgy to come on guys, let's just move on... so he was clearly sending mixed messages. He's miffed at Bill but he doesn't really want to delve into why Bill might be miffed at him, if you catch my drift. When they asked him if he was embarassed he started sounding like he just wanted them to move on.

He and Bill clearly have some issues and one of them is gonna have to bake up and swallow some humble pie pdq. My money's on AD.

I listened to the interview on Felgie's show and subjectively it seemed to me that AD initially wanted to defend himself and then realized he'd only complicate the situation via the media. His "Ask Bill" was the correct answer. Interesting that the two have not spoken since Sunday. Asked about that situation, AD said "we're both here". Cannot fault the guy for being a bit down about the situation, however self inflicted, after being worse than benched. How he reacts as a player subsequently is major.

As someone high on signing Thomas, I admit I haven't seen the elite level performance the paycheck implies. I'm in the camp that has AD's lack of on and off field performance and leadership being a major reason for Seau's early arrival. Hopefully an esteemed peer interacting with him can remedy the situation without furthur loss of face.

It's just annoying to see Thomas and Burgess make all the money and do nothing, while guys liek Guyton and Ninkovich produce results for peanuts.

Now that we've got Mayo back, I'd be happy if Thomas would line up at Burgess's position on passing downs once in a while. Having three linebackers who are decent in coverage certainly allows us to mix up who is coming after the QB, and that deception would aid our pass rush tons.

As someone high on signing Thomas, I admit I haven't seen the elite level performance the paycheck implies.

He's played "above average" at about 4 different positions at this point. Thats worth a handy paycheck.

He hasn't been allowed to play what his best position would be because theres been such a shortage of good, healthy LBs.

Apparenly because he misses tackles "All Day" long.
You think so? Seems to me that most American companies work in this manner. What's so different?

I must say that I can't understand many of the comments on this thread. I read the Adalius' interview too and didn't necessarily see any great expressed animosity or anger--certainly nothing that won't blow over in a week or two. This is petty stuff, folks; and I believe the two sides view it as such.

I must say that I can't understand many of the comments on this thread. I read the Adalius' interview too and didn't necessarily see any great expressed animosity or anger--certainly nothing that won't blow over in a week or two. This is petty stuff, folks; and I believe the two sides view it as such.

If he produces, it will blow over. If he doesn't produce or doesn't change his tune, it won't. BB will bury him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back