PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Notes on Adalius Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we've all felt that he has underperformed. Personally, I thought he filled in on the inside admirably his first season. He was having a decent first half last season, but it wasn't his fault that he got injured . . . it happens. This year, however, has been a different story. He's look slow and lackadaisical.

On a related note, I'm surprised to find that Bodden was included in this whole fiasco. I was wondering why Butler got the nod on Sunday. I hope Bodden gets his act together. I hope they both do. They're both very talented and could do many great things if they play at a high level.

Sigh, another ex Raven's linebacker that didn't do as well after leaving their system.......

Why not try letting Thomas play more of the role Burgess has been asked to getting after the passer, and let Burgess drop in coverage more... they both have been ailing respectively.

I'd like to see AD rush the pass more, too. I'd like to see TBC, Burgess, AD on the field in the nickel D at the same time, if that means one less DL, so be it, I think the versatility would be a bonus.

Our secondary has proven reliable. I think we can start rushing 5 at a higher percentage, the pass rush would be more effective. Imagine a nickel D where Wilfork & Wright apply interior pressure, TBC & Burgess come from the edges, and AD blitzes.

Last edited:
Makes one wonder if Ellis Hobbs offseason comments about veterans who had already gotten paid taking plays off/not playing hurt applied to Seymour AND Thomas.

What's intruiging is the timing of Hobbs comments, and BB's apparant "warnings" to 3 veterans.

Could BB have seen Hobbs' remarks and thought to himself, "you know, he's right"? Or, was BBs decision completely unrelated to Hobbs?

Who knew Adalius was such a little pansy? I guess we should have known after his whining in the offseason about the NFL season possibly being expanded to 18 games.

And I guess he whined about the Seymour trade as well, apparently. You'd think someone who has done so little would not talk so much.

Imagine a nickel D where Wilfork & Wright apply interior pressure, TBC & Burgess come from the edges, and AD blitzes.

AD - WLB rushing more
Mayo - MLB
Guyton/Seau- SLB or a DB for a nickle look

McGowan, Merriweather - Safties

Bodden/Springs or Bodden/Butler or really any combo of the CB's...

Thats pretty stout to me.

Except that every time I see AD rush, he is STONED. Just flailing away helplessly. Kind of like a turtle when you put it on its back.

He's pretty good as a coverage linebacker and pretty good inside in a 3-4. Or was, when he didn't have a bad attitude.

Last edited:
Gasper added this nugget during his Boston.com chat today.....AD talking with reporters this week :'The more you can do the better, but not always."

Media comments seem to indicate that Springs and Bodden didn't respond well to media criticism of their performance against Denver and tried to shift blame to the scheme. That never plays well in Foxboro. Heard some AD presser today while out in the car and he seems to be trying to both send a message to Bill and get the media to let it go before he says something they can make him regret. Fat chance either will work in his favor. Now we know why Bill sent for the Graduate... He will flat out embarass any thirty something veteran who isn't getting it done.

I still would not be surprised if AD's attitude doesn't have something to do with becoming the player rep under an expiring CBA. Seemed to increase Vrabel's edge off the field at a time when his edge on the field was diminishing, too.

It's really too bad EHIII wasn't 2 inches taller.

Gasper added this nugget during his Boston.com chat today.....AD talking with reporters this week :'The more you can do the better, but not always."

I take that as AD is saying that he believes that he is not as effective if he is asked to do too much in this D.

It's one thing to tell your manager that you can handle what is on your plate but because of workload you need extensions on deadlines, etc. It's another thing to say that you don't have the ability. What an absolutely stupid thing to say. He needs to perform and not make excuses.

No way he is with the team next year....no way.

Last edited:

Is this meant for someone to infer that it is not always in your own best interest to do everything you can? To not try your hardest with everything you have to give?

These type of comments only fuel to my dislike of him spawned by the comments he made related to extending the season.

The comment that stuck out the most to me was how you don't get paid the same for the preseason games than you do for the regular season games, and that players would ultimately have to get paid more.

Greedy and just disturbing, to be honest. I make sh** compared to this guy, and risk my LIFE all the time, let alone a little itty bitty injuwy...

It's ALL business for him it seems.

Please, people, Pats fans of all people should know better than to take Thomas's quotes out of context.

Read the actual interview as Reiss transcribes it, and those crazy quotes from Adalius are not at all combative.

I'm not saying he didn't give poor effort in the Broncos game. I'm saying that, in the whole interview, an answer like this one "Belichick has all the answers" comes off differently when the player is telling the media that it's the player's job to be ready and do the best he can, and it's the coaches job to decide who plays, etc. I know it sounds bad out of context, but he was literally asking the media to change the subject, and to ask Belichick about why he was benched, because he didn't have an answer.

Is this meant for someone to infer that it is not always in your own best interest to do everything you can? To not try your hardest with everything you have to give?
I think he meant that because he can do more than, say, Burgess and TBC that he is stuck playing pass coverage which limits his effectiveness whereas because the others can't play pass coverage at all then they get to do what they're best at.

I think he meant that because he can do more than, say, Burgess and TBC that he is stuck playing pass coverage which limits his effectiveness whereas because the others can't play pass coverage at all then they get to do what they're best at.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you for sharing this view, because for a minute there I was envisioning his head exploding.:eek:

Who knew Adalius was such a little pansy? I guess we should have known after his whining in the offseason about the NFL season possibly being expanded to 18 games.

And I guess he whined about the Seymour trade as well, apparently. You'd think someone who has done so little would not talk so much.

I really hope this guy doesn't become an ongoing problem for the team. When is the last time the Pats really had to deal with this sort of disgruntled behavior? I know we've had players unhappy with contract situations, but I don't know if we've ever had this type of situation before. Am I wrong? Can someone enlighten me if I am?

Please, people, Pats fans of all people should know better than to take Thomas's quotes out of context.

Read the actual interview as Reiss transcribes it, and those crazy quotes from Adalius are not at all combative.

I'm not saying he didn't give poor effort in the Broncos game. I'm saying that, in the whole interview, an answer like this one "Belichick has all the answers" comes off differently when the player is telling the media that it's the player's job to be ready and do the best he can, and it's the coaches job to decide who plays, etc. I know it sounds bad out of context, but he was literally asking the media to change the subject, and to ask Belichick about why he was benched, because he didn't have an answer.

I'm with you upstater1 and I do agree that some things that he said can be misconstrued and contorted to fuel speculation that Thomas is a slacking, prima-donna. We fans do need to be careful before burying the man.

But if you look at everything...BBs actions, Thomas' comments and Seau accerlorating his timetable to join the team b/c there is a perceived void in enforcing locker-room/player accountability (IMO validated by BB signing a 40-year old LB in Oct as oppossed to Dec) and focus on doing their jobs (BB can't do everything as he needs players to enforce his edict), it all adds up to players like Thomas requiring an attitude-adjustment. His boss told him that he didn't think that he was capable of doing his job that week and Thomas is embarassed and wants to put it behind him. Maybe Seau took him out to eat and delivered the message. Who knows

Time will tell if hes going to get with the program. I hope he does.

Last edited:
Is there any chance that BB iced Thomas for a game trying to keep him healthy to unload him before yesterdays trade deadline?

No takers? I guess BB didn't call the Jets.

Last edited:

Only problem is it actually sounded more combative than it transcribes, although after that he seemed to be making a concerted effort to get them to drop it... He went from defensive and edgy to come on guys, let's just move on... so he was clearly sending mixed messages. He's miffed at Bill but he doesn't really want to delve into why Bill might be miffed at him, if you catch my drift. When they asked him if he was embarassed he started sounding like he just wanted them to move on.

He and Bill clearly have some issues and one of them is gonna have to bake up and swallow some humble pie pdq. My money's on AD.

Is there any chance that BB iced Thomas for a game trying to keep him healthy to unload him before yesterdays trade deadline?

No takers? I guess BB didn't call the Jets.

I guess there is a chance (ala Theo/Manny 2005) but with cap-implications, trading partners, etc. I doubt it. IMO it was purely performance/attitude-related and I think all things being equal, BB wants AD on this team.

He and Bill clearly have some issues and one of them is gonna have to bake up and swallow some humble pie pdq. My money's on AD.

Agree 100%. I hope Thomas isn't so far down the path as "F-you, BB go ahead and cut me b/c I'm already financially set and I'll just go somewhere else and play.."

Lets see what hes made of...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back