PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In the wake of Hernandez - Colt Lyerla, Y/N?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, Goodell wants players to sign freakin' morality clauses and marijuana bans as part of their contracts...this kid could have played for a while 15 years ago...today?...he's a dead man walking. FA signing at best...and really,I find it hard to imagine that one year removed from the Aherncorleone fiasco that the Pats brass would even give him a thought.

I hadn't heard about those morality clauses, but that's all good for the team anyway. Once they screw up, Dudley Do-right's going to enact some damn out of proportion punishment anyway.

The question is not whether BB could make him effective -- there's little doubt of that. The question is whether he can function in society away from Gillette. If that question has to be asked he simply is not worth it, even as a UFA.

If the Patriots let the Hernandez stuff alter the way they draft and sign players.. then the dead money is the least of his parting damages.

Plenty of players have done drugs, sold drugs, punched former girlfriends in the face, assaulted police officers, ect. Very few have gone on to become serial murderers. You can't live in fear that your football team will win the anti-lottery twice.

I have no doubt in my mind that if this kid could get his act together he's one of the best prospects in this draft.

One of my good buddies is a hardcore Oregon fan. We watched the 2013 Fiesta Bowl together when they played Kansas State. Every time he touched ball he was talking Lyerla up, saying he's gonna be a more physical Hernandez....Won't make people miss in the open field like AH, but is a much better blocker, and if its a jump ball, he'll go and get it. Safe to say I've had my eye on him since, especially after the AH arrest ....

After he quit on the team, then got caught with coke, I thought there was very little chance if any we draft him. I still don't see him here, but its hard not to get excited just invisioning him here. He's a physical freak. Perfect guy to play the joker/H back role. I could see both BB and McD being that father figure for him. Remember Brandon Lloyd was a whack job, and he loved McD.

He is not every bit the talent of Hernandez. The #1 thing that separated Hernandez was not speed or athletic ability it was strength and power, he did 30 reps on the 225 Lb. bench. He was excellent after the catch and extremely physical, Lyerla is not similar in that respect. He is still a great value, but let’s not sell Hernandez short just because he is a moronic murdering ******* who let this region and this franchise down more than any other pro athlete in history, he was a gifted player.

No, the number one thing that separated AH wasn't power, it was his soft hands, and how quick and agile he was in the open field, esp for being a guy his size.

Im a gym nut, and I'm telling you the most overated theory is the bench press being the ultimate measure of how strong someone is. AH benched 225 lbs for 30 reps, while Gronk in his workout did 23. Impressive by AH, but by no means does that make him stronger than Gronk. I've seen Gronk on running plays man handle DE's and LB's.

BP, squats, dead lifts, and power cleans. All of those are great measurements. Not just the BP.

He's more unstable than we realize: Things Don't Go Better With Colt Lyerla

Choice quote:
Last summer, before his most-publicized problems, a website called NEPatriotsDraft.com profiled Lyerla. They thought he would be a good all-around replacement for Aaron Hernandez. I don't think they realized how accurate their prediction would be.

Ultimately, of course, Chip [Kelly] will make the decision, and literally no one on earth -- besides Lyerla's position coach at Oregon -- knows the guy better. I would be very surprised if the Eagles picked him. Sure, Chip would probably know how to manage the guy best, but why devote the energy to him?
One unfortunate comment by a blitzed Riley Cooper at a country music concert caused several weeks of headache for the Eagles. What can this guy, whom the students at Oregon dubbed "Coke" Lyerla, do? The mind shutters. Life's too short. There's not enough energy to babysit professional athletes. Besides, some team will be stupid enough to take him before the fifth round.

The fact he went conspiracy on the mass murder in Conn. might be the most disconcerting. What are we supposed to do, take away his iPhone?

No, the number one thing that separated AH wasn't power, it was his soft hands, and how quick and agile he was in the open field, esp for being a guy his size.

Im a gym nut, and I'm telling you the most overated theory is the bench press being the ultimate measure of how strong someone is. AH benched 225 lbs for 30 reps, while Gronk in his workout did 23. Impressive by AH, but by no means does that make him stronger than Gronk. I've seen Gronk on running plays man handle DE's and LB's.

BP, squats, dead lifts, and power cleans. All of those are great measurements. Not just the BP.

I understand what you mean; I also spend about 90-120 minutes at the gym 5-6 days a week. The bench actually measures stamina more than strength, many guys can max out at 360 Lbs. on a bench but they can only do it 2 times before 3 spotters have to run in and help them get it back on the rack. My assessment of Hernandez strength was based on his workout regimen, he was known for doing kick flips off the wall and other exercise that would require a ridiculous level of core body strength.

I understand what you mean; I also spend about 90-120 minutes at the gym 5-6 days a week. The bench actually measures stamina more than strength, many guys can max out at 360 Lbs. on a bench but they can only do it 2 times before 3 spotters have to run in and help them get it back on the rack. My assessment of Hernandez strength was based on his workout regimen, he was known for doing kick flips off the wall and other exercise that would require a ridiculous level of core body strength.

Yea you can def tell AH had ridiculous strength is his core. I don't know his workout regimen, but if you have any articles send them over my way!

Pros:
- Freak Athlete
- Good size for the position
- Versatile mismatch against DB's and LBers
- Potential as a blocker when he puts in effort
- Huge upside
- Potentially great value late in the draft

Cons:
- Production never matched hype (only 34 career receptions)
- Questionable effort on the field when not getting the ball
- Selfish
- Doesn't follow guidance or coaching (always did his own thing instead of following coaches instruction)
- Didn't respond well to structure, rebelled against it
- Quit on team
- Comes from a very tough upbringing (substance abuse)
- Major drug and alcohol concerns, known party boy
- Cocaine arrest after leaving Oregon
- Alleged drunken assault in 2012
- Struggled with Chip Kelly's departure, abandonment issues (how will he fair with the cutthroat business aspect of the NFL?)
- Very emotional, immature, irresponsible, has a temper and lacks self control
- Doesn't handle criticism well
- Sandy Hook conspiracy theorist, probably wont go down well in New England

Colt Lyerla: A Troubled Talent | Detroit Lions Draft

Colt Lyerla accused of 2012 assault on Eugene street

I've made it pretty clear in the draft forum that I just don't think he is worth the headache, especially after the Hernandez situation. I'm all for taking a chance on guys with character concerns but it seems Lyerla's issues would directly clash with the Patriots. The issues following instruction, rebelling against structure, selfishness, inability to handle criticism and the fact that he quit on his team is far more significant to me than the drug, alcohol and violence issues.

I think he rushed this process and is trying to get to the NFL too early. I am sympathetic towards his situation because he certainly comes from a troubled background and has personal issues. I think he would have been much better served taking a year off to get his life in order first, then I would have some interest in his as a reclamation project. I think he has rushed it and hasn't given himself a chance to fix these issues. Going straight into the pressure of trying to make the NFL I don't think will be beneficial for him. I would let someone else take a risk on him.

After reading this, I will be surprised if a team drafts him at all. If Roger and Burfict went undrafted over the past two season, then I see no way someone takes him, especially with the Hernandez situation.

The 34 college receptions is the biggest concerns in my mind, Hernandez had 68 receptions for 850 yards his final season at Florida so yeah you took a chance on a player with character concerns but at least he had production. This kid does not have production and has bigger character concerns pre-draft, Hernandez failed a drug test for smoking weed, he had no arrests, and Colt arrest was for coke.

Upon second review I am going to take a pass on him unless he was a UDFA, this draft is the deepest TE draft I have seen in my lifetime, we could get a player like Trey Burton in the sixth round who could slide right into that Hernandez Flex-TE role without all the baggage.

There is no chance of the Pat's picking this guy.

You or I can say,yes, he's worth the risk. But we don't have to answer for it later.

It killed me (no pun intended) to watch that video. Great workout and it motivated me to get my male pregnancy bulge back to the gym this afternoon. It was heartbreaking to see him talking about his expected child. What an epic tragic figure.

Anyone here got a vid of him working out at the range?

I agree a few years when all the hate and shock passes everyone will all look back at the Hernandez situation as a tragedy.

When you get caught up in the case and heinous acts of Hernandez it is easy to miss the fact that Odin Lloyd was not the only one that lost his life that day. Hernandez by his own doings of course essentially died that day. A 23 year old man who was misguided by all of his closest friends and family, spent his teens in turmoil and filled with anger who was blessed with such a gift and he just destroyed it all in a cloud of addiction and paranoia.

Hernandez was in over his head, his talent gave him the money and power to have things and be in situation he was not mentally equipped or mature enough to handle. The fact is everyday there are 23 year old kids getting high on angel dust and smoking blunts when they have paranoid and potentially fatal thoughts go through their minds, the difference is these idiots don't have $40 mil to spend on guns and a bunch of leaches singing how they're god and can't be touched into their ears.

The failure of Hernandez was not the day he shot Lloyd or did the drive by, it was the day that his arrogance and stupidity had him believe he could combine two worlds that could never be combined, outlaw and high profile celebrity millionaire athlete is about as compatible as gasoline and a match.

I can't in any way shape or form see the Pats touch this guy, or ANY guy who has any legal/team issues. I remember how MAD Kraft was after the Hernandez incident. I can't see him signing off on Colt.

Hernandez was a fine 4th round pick; his production was astounding. Obviously, getting another player who is anywhere near as good in the 6th, 5th or 4th would be great. The risk is small.

As someone pointed out, the issue with Hernandez was his 2nd contract, not his rookie contract.

As far as risk and brand, lots of players have issues. I am fine as long as we are not brining in known violent criminals or those who abuse their wives or girlfriends.

How desperate have we become as fans? This Lyerla guy got caught doing blow in a parking lot. Then he blew off a chance to get it taken off his record by doing drug rehab.

This is a VERY troubled kid! I think he's even riskier than Dennard. And AH, well he had red flags, but nobody knew he was a serial killer! I would be very much in favor of AVOIDING Colt Lyerla any sooner than round 7. Because a 7th rounder is a throw away pick. And Lyerla, who looks like a character out of Breaking Bad, might have to be cut for ending up in prison before his rookie deal is even up.

I'm not sure it's been mentioned, but almost all of the prospects working out at the Combine have been preparing for 6 weeks or so. Lyerla has only had a week or so to prepare and still had arguably the best workout.

He's an absolute beast, sign me up. Just make sure he doesn't have the whole "secret serial killer" hobby thing going on.

How desperate have we become as fans? This Lyerla guy got caught doing blow in a parking lot. Then he blew off a chance to get it taken off his record by doing drug rehab.

This is a VERY troubled kid! I think he's even riskier than Dennard. And AH, well he had red flags, but nobody knew he was a serial killer! I would be very much in favor of AVOIDING Colt Lyerla any sooner than round 7. Because a 7th rounder is a throw away pick. And Lyerla, who looks like a character out of Breaking Bad, might have to be cut for ending up in prison before his rookie deal is even up.

I can cut anyone slack for making a mistake or making mistakes, what is really troubling to me about Lyeria is the almost universal reports about how he deals with coaching, being challenged by anyone or being challenged by circumstances. It appears that his response to all of these is to blow them off rather than meet the challenges or expectations. Much like Hernandez he sounds like a guy who is going to try to say the right things but will always do whatever the hell he wants to, and that is not the kind of personailty you want to bring in to any team. I think people get way to caught up in how great an athlete a guy is and are willing to dismiss their true character, and that is ultimately what is going to decide how good they become as pro's.

The fact he went conspiracy on the mass murder in Conn. might be the most disconcerting.
Just imagine the Pats having a moment of silence at the stadium remembering the victims and this guy telling reporters afterward that the massacre was staged. Did he actually attend classes in college?

Just imagine the Pats having a moment of silence at the stadium remembering the victims and this guy telling reporters afterward that the massacre was staged. Did he actually attend classes in college?

Plenty of conspiracy theorists are intelligent.

And the funny thing about conspiracy theorists is that for ever 99 bat**** insane theories they are right on 1. There's plenty of **** that has been done by our government which were kept secret and if someone had told you about you would have laughed it off as stupid conspiracy theory.

Mostly I think conspiracy theorists come up with their theories as like, a defense mechanism. Easier to think about the government faking Sandy Hook to take away our guns than some messed up ****er blowing away kids.

People shouldn't be aware that Logan Thomas who may convert to TE, he's being asked by some teams to do so, is putting up numbers that are close to Jimmy Graham territory. He, and not Lyerla, might be the better longshot.

NB: He was recruited to college as a TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back