Welcome to PatsFans.com

In the wake of Hernandez - Colt Lyerla, Y/N?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by fnordcircle, Feb 22, 2014.

1. fnordcircle

fnordcircle ( o Y o ) PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +192 / 5 / -13

Ex-Oregon TE Colt Lyerla could be steal of NFL Draft if a team is willing to roll the dice | masslive.com

Curious what people think about this guy and the chances of the Pats going after him. As a godless heathen myself I would pull the trigger (get it?) on anyone who can help us score more football TDs.

But there quite possibly is a Christian Peter thing going on here with Kraft, who needs to be mindful of the brand, possibly not wanting to bring in anyone with known issues for a while.

The kid says all the right things but so did Hernandez. Getting caught doing blow in a parking lot and kicked out of Oregon St. is a far cry from killing people, but this guy also said he had to move away from his home to get away from bad influences.

Which I've always thought was the real problem for Hernandez, that he never got away from the bad influences and situations he grew up in. If Hernandez is drafted by the KC Chiefs he's probably sitting on a beach somewhere right now instead of in prison.

Since this kid didn't grow up in NE he would likely be more insulated here.

So - would you sign this kid as a FA? Would you draft him in the 7th?

Personally I'd say a 4th or a 5th.
  2. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sign me up. Even Hernandez the murderer was a big part of a #1 offense for three years.

This guy can't be worse and is every bit as talented.

Aside from Brady and a few others I root for the laundry.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I'm fine drafting him - just don't give him a huge contract 3 years before you have to.
  4. Elijah T.

Elijah T. Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I would like to see the FO take him in the 6th if he's available but probably not before that.

But I feel that the Hernandez wound is so fresh that it probably won't happen...if it was two years from now I could see it.
  5. Brady6

Brady6 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +686 / 76 / -119

#12 Jersey

He and A.C. Leonard are both interesting prospects who have off field issues.

We probably should see has the best aim shooting from a moving vehicle and not pick that one.

To answer your question - I would take him either at #182 if they were around and would consider them at #126 or moving up.

Trey Burton is another late round option; he would be an excellent fit as a flex tight end.
  6. Brady6

Brady6 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +686 / 76 / -119

#12 Jersey

He is not every bit the talent of Hernandez. The #1 thing that separated Hernandez was not speed or athletic ability it was strength and power, he did 30 reps on the 225 Lb. bench. He was excellent after the catch and extremely physical, Lyerla is not similar in that respect. He is still a great value, but let’s not sell Hernandez short just because he is a moronic murdering ******* who let this region and this franchise down more than any other pro athlete in history, he was a gifted player.
  7. 50-yard-line

50-yard-line Rookie

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -1

Given the potential, we're probably better off taking the 5th...
  8. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +449 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

I say draft him and hire Dr. Drew as tight ends coach.
  9. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +790 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

Dunno college players but late rounds are for taking chances on talent.

As to The Prisoner, at 1st I thought the problem was him not getting away from it all by being here in NE near the old hood vs say playing KC but then I remembered that he supposedly shot this other low life banger down in FL. Locality in the jet age ain't what it usta be. OK maybe Green Bay Wisconsin woulda helped.
  10. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 7 / -0

#87 Jersey

I'm torn on him.

Pros: He just seems so obvious that he will be a good steal NFL player, just like Hernandez, Dennard, and Mathieu. How can we pass on getting Brady a legit weapon in rounds 5-7? He would compliment Gronk perfectly and probably have a similar rookie impact as Hernandez or Jordan Reed.

Cons: Can we really draft a troubled TE after what happened?
  11. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +222 / 17 / -2

Hernandez was a fine 4th round pick; his production was astounding. Obviously, getting another player who is anywhere near as good in the 6th, 5th or 4th would be great. The risk is small.

As someone pointed out, the issue with Hernandez was his 2nd contract, not his rookie contract.

As far as risk and brand, lots of players have issues. I am fine as long as we are not brining in known violent criminals or those who abuse their wives or girlfriends.

12. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +278 / 4 / -2

#51 Jersey

I've been on this train for some time now. That's a big fat yes from me.

I don't not hold Lyerla accountable for the sins of Hernandez.
  13. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 7 / -0

#87 Jersey

Austin Seferian-Jenkins: Round 2 Pick 61
    Colt Lyerla: Round 6 Comp Pick

Recreating Gronknandez on relatively cheap draft capital all over again.
  14. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +222 / 17 / -2

I'm fine with ASJ at 61 if we don't get one of the top three earlier. My gut says that we will have a TE by pick 45. Perhaps, that's because I want us to get one of the top three TE's. Lots of others will want ASJ after the top three are gone.

15. Wilfork#75

Wilfork#75 Rookie

Ratings:
    +90 / 5 / -1

#75 Jersey

Pros:
    - Freak Athlete
    - Good size for the position
    - Versatile mismatch against DB's and LBers
    - Potential as a blocker when he puts in effort
    - Huge upside
    - Potentially great value late in the draft

Cons:
    - Production never matched hype (only 34 career receptions)
    - Questionable effort on the field when not getting the ball
    - Selfish
    - Doesn't follow guidance or coaching (always did his own thing instead of following coaches instruction)
    - Didn't respond well to structure, rebelled against it
    - Quit on team
    - Comes from a very tough upbringing (substance abuse)
    - Major drug and alcohol concerns, known party boy
    - Cocaine arrest after leaving Oregon
    - Alleged drunken assault in 2012
    - Struggled with Chip Kelly's departure, abandonment issues (how will he fair with the cutthroat business aspect of the NFL?)
    - Very emotional, immature, irresponsible, has a temper and lacks self control
    - Doesn't handle criticism well
    - Sandy Hook conspiracy theorist, probably wont go down well in New England

Colt Lyerla: A Troubled Talent | Detroit Lions Draft

Colt Lyerla accused of 2012 assault on Eugene street

I've made it pretty clear in the draft forum that I just don't think he is worth the headache, especially after the Hernandez situation. I'm all for taking a chance on guys with character concerns but it seems Lyerla's issues would directly clash with the Patriots. The issues following instruction, rebelling against structure, selfishness, inability to handle criticism and the fact that he quit on his team is far more significant to me than the drug, alcohol and violence issues.

I think he rushed this process and is trying to get to the NFL too early. I am sympathetic towards his situation because he certainly comes from a troubled background and has personal issues. I think he would have been much better served taking a year off to get his life in order first, then I would have some interest in his as a reclamation project. I think he has rushed it and hasn't given himself a chance to fix these issues. Going straight into the pressure of trying to make the NFL I don't think will be beneficial for him. I would let someone else take a risk on him.
  16. varjao

varjao Rookie

Ratings:
    +163 / 29 / -16

#3 Jersey

he's a time bomb
  17. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0

If he goes undrafted, I'd offer him a contract with no signing bonus or guaranteed money. I think he barely deserves an opportunity, much less a $50k signing bonus. He's a repeat offender of doing really stupid stuff. He's got reported major issues with alcohol, hard drugs, commitment, authority, decision-making, effort, and maturity (among other things, obviously). The only positive for him lately is that he hasn't been caught doing anything completely stupid since October.

As the Belichickian saying goes, the goal is to build a team, not just collect talent. Lyerla is a perfect example of collecting talent. He's also a perfect example of a guy who could extremely easily blow up on the attempt to build a team.
  18. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +399 / 5 / -6

#75 Jersey

Colt Lyerla: A Troubled Talent | Detroit Lions Draft

I'm not going to excerpt any of that article, but this guy is a perfect Bill Parcells project. I don't know if any current coaches want to play the strict daddy role Bill did with Terry (she) Glenn, but a real sarcastic, abusive, strict taskmaster might have Colt eating out of his hand.

Then again he might get drugged and liquored up and drive his car off a bridge.

BB usually doesn't like to mess with this type of attention ho punk. He's fine with strong guys that screwed up when they were young like Dillon and maybe Moss. This guy needs someone to be his daddy full time and that's not BB. Maybe one of the coaches.
  19. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +614 / 13 / -12

Look, Goodell wants players to sign freakin' morality clauses and marijuana bans as part of their contracts...this kid could have played for a while 15 years ago...today?...he's a dead man walking. FA signing at best...and really,I find it hard to imagine that one year removed from the Aherncorleone fiasco that the Pats brass would even give him a thought.
  20. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +399 / 5 / -6

#75 Jersey

That all aside, this kid is ready to fall apart at the least real life problem he encounters. If he doesn't get a stable program and somebody who wants to be his full time discipline daddy for a while, it won't matter what the league does. He needs a stable program (we've got that) and constant attention from daddy (BB will tell him to screw off once, then cut him though).

Love him or hate him, Parcells when he was young (before TO wore him out) was the daddy drill sergeant a screwball like this kid demands. It looks like Chip Kelly was substitute daddy for a while, then the reality of life job switch made him collapse emotionally again.

Nuts like this will run through the wall for you if they get that discipline and tough love, but more likely, they just become a constant headache and distraction and implode.

5 cents for the psychiatric profile.:p