PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In Season IR

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Last year, we used this position on a marginal player not ready for the season, rather than wait for a 1st half injury to a more significant player (what the roster spot is meant for).

This year, the current candidates are Ebner, Dowling, Fells and Cunningham. All these choices are consistent with last year's decision to put Shaincoe on the list.

My preference is to wait.

Yes, wait.
There were past seasons where it at least seemed like a starter could have returned by Christmas or New Years, but the rules forbade it. None of those marginal or easily injured players is worth wasting the roster exemption and risk not getting a starter back for the playoffs. We can still PUP Gronk and NFI Armistead if we're desperate to keep #s 52 and 53 on the roster or if BB is hot to sign a couple of someone else's cuts. Based on the bottom roster players' game 3 pathetic performances, I'm ready to waive 'em and sign 'em to the PS if they just need time to develop.

Obviously last year's use of the in-season IR was a complete waste: Shiancoe returns, runs the wrong route which results in an interception, and he's released.

Even without the benefit of hindsight the decision to use him for that one designation was a head-scratcher; Schiancoe was a backup and there were two other players (Fells and Hoomanawanui) to fill his role with comparable talent levels. Beyond that, playing that one card so early didn't make much sense to me.

I would much rather wait a while and use it on someone that is going to get much more playing time - if not a starter, then on a guy that gets a lot of snaps say in third down sub packages.

Injuries are an unfortunate but inevitable part of the game. There is no need to rush and use it on the first player that gets hurt that might contribute later on.

Even without the benefit of hindsight the decision to use him for that one designation was a head-scratcher; Schiancoe was a backup and there were two other players (Fells and Hoomanawanui) to fill his role with comparable talent levels. Beyond that, playing that one card so early didn't make much sense to me.

In hindsight, there weren't any better candidates throughout the season, so they weren't going to get anything out of it anyway.

How about Brandon Bolden?

That's a possibility, but don't forget that in order to place a player on in-season IR he must first be on the 53-man roster (August 31). That means that someone else gets cut between now and the end of the month, and could be claimed by another team on waivers before the team gets a chance to re-sign them.

My only question about this specific designation is: Does it have to be used by a certain point in the season?

Re: Re: In Season IR

Last year, we used this position on a marginal player not ready for the season, rather than wait for a 1st half injury to a more significant player (what the roster spot is meant for).

This year, the current candidates are Ebner, Dowling, Fells and Cunningham. All these choices are consistent with last year's decision to put Shaincoe on the list.

My preference is to wait.

I'd prefer to wait, but I'd go Cunningham if I had to pick a player now.

a good idea, given our lack of experienced DL depth

I'd prefer to wait, but I'd go Cunningham if I had to pick a player now.

My only question about this specific designation is: Does it have to be used by a certain point in the season?

Just early enough that the player can be eligible to return. I believe Edelman would have been able to return in the Super Bowl had he been put on it when he got hurt, but the Pats had already used it on Shiancoe, they didn't reach the Super Bowl, and they wouldn't have used him extensively in the Super Bowl after being unable to practice all that time anyway. In that regard, I think there are diminishing returns in that you don't want to break a guy in after missing all of that time if it's a playoff game.

a good idea, given our lack of experienced DL depth

Yeah he isn't great, probably not even good but he knows the system and can add some versital depth, especially if we have an injury, also I'm far from sold on Benard.

Before his suspension, Cunningham started at DE. He is a fine backup. The question is whether he can be as good without the PED's.

Yeah he isn't great, probably not even good but he knows the system and can add some versital depth, especially if we have an injury, also I'm far from sold on Benard.

Before his suspension, Cunningham started at DE. He is a fine backup. The question is whether he can be as good without the PED's.

He appeared to be even bulkier this year which would indicate he was able to find a way to add muscle without PED's or maybe he just kept using them.... :D

There is no need to wait.

All this does is save a roster spot, once, for a player you don't want to cut.

If you don't want to cut him you waste a roster spot by carrying him. You might as well use the IR-Return designation to save the roster spot for now because you may not have a player get hurt later.

I can't explain it any better but this concept that you have to wait for a top player to use it is flawed. The first time you have a player get hurt who's out for a long time who you want to keep, use it. Otherwise you're wasting a spot on the 53.

If it's a marginal player you don't mind cutting then cut him but if you aren't cutting him then use it the first chance you get and save the roster spot.

If you don't want to cut him you waste a roster spot by carrying him. You might as well use the IR-Return designation to save the roster spot for now because you may not have a player get hurt later.

I can't explain it any better but this concept that you have to wait for a top player to use it is flawed. The first time you have a player get hurt who's out for a long time who you want to keep, use it. Otherwise you're wasting a spot on the 53.

If it's a marginal player you don't mind cutting then cut him but if you aren't cutting him then use it the first chance you get and save the roster spot.
Yeah, pretty much this. It also makes sense to use that extra roster spot early in the season because unfortunately, the Pats will probably clear out a roster spot or two over the first half of the season from new injuries.

True enough, but he still has to be on the 53 at the start of the season. So there's that.......

As I said, my preference is to wait. If we don't, some of the candidates are

EBNER
CUNNINGHAM
DOWLING
FELLS
CANNON (has anyone heard anything?)

I'm comfortable with Cunningham as well. Especially if it means we get to roll the dice on one of Buchanan or Bequette for a few extra weeks.

Cunningham is back at practice today. Probably means he will not be the player designated to return.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back