Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I've been looking for this for years!

(too bad it was, shall we say, over-optimistic.)

I've been looking for this for years!

(too bad it was, shall we say, over-optimistic.)

Great find!

For those of us who lived though that, even though the ending was brutal it was such a great ride to the Super Bowl. Cheesy songs like this made is more fun.

For those of us who lived though that, even though the ending was brutal it was such a great ride to the Super Bowl. Cheesy songs like this made is more fun.

Even though 2001 has to come first, 1985 is way, way up there. It all came crashing down in the big game, but to be the first team to make it to the Superbowl by winning 3 road games, to knock off the Raiders, to finally f*cking win in the Orange Bowl -- it was amazing and wonderful.

And then the game. (And the Challenger two days after that).

Last edited:
Even though 2001 has to come first, 1985 is way, way up there. It all came crashing down in the big game, but to be the first team to make it to the Superbowl by winning 3 road games, to knock of the Raiders, to finally f*cking win in the Orange Bowl -- it was amazing and wonderful.

And then the game. (And the Challenger two days after that).

Yep!

Just looking at the games from 1985 it was 30 years ago this past Tuesday that Mosi's Mooses Squished the Fish in the Orange Bowl.

Pats ran the ball 59 times for 255 yards and forced 5 TOs. Damn.

I went to that game in NO back in 85, and despite the outcome it was still one of the best weekends of my life. They are crazy to have the game any other place but NO. It is like the town is built for the game. Fans from both towns partied like it was the end times and I have to tell you, even after the game, Bear fans were fun to be with. They were very gracious.

At any rate even when the Pats went up 3-0 you could tell the Bears were the better team. That season they smoked EVERYONE they played in the playoffs. The Pats were just the last victim. I still think they had the single best season of any team in NFL history. They were truly great.

BTW - If you want to get a better perspective of just how great the Pats' run has been. Just 2 years later that great Bear team didn't make the playoffs and didn't see them again for another decade. THAT is how hard it is to keep a great team going and why what the Pats have done as only been duplicated by one other team (SF) who did it in a much easier environment.

Yeah that Super Bowl was brutal. You could see the fear in Tony Eason's eyes during that game. Didn't the Patriots have like -20 yards of offense in the first half?

But it was a great playoff run before that. Knocked the jests out in the wildcard round (which is always nice), then upset the Raiders (after which Matt Millen smacked Raymond Sullivan upside the head with his helmet), and finally the fish were squished.

And then shortly thereafter cokegate broke

I went to that game in NO back in 85, and despite the outcome it was still one of the best weekends of my life. They are crazy to have the game any other place but NO. It is like the town is built for the game. Fans from both towns partied like it was the end times and I have to tell you, even after the game, Bear fans were fun to be with. They were very gracious.

At any rate even when the Pats went up 3-0 you could tell the Bears were the better team. That season they smoked EVERYONE they played in the playoffs. The Pats were just the last victim. I still think they had the single best season of any team in NFL history. They were truly great.

BTW - If you want to get a better perspective of just how great the Pats' run has been. Just 2 years later that great Bear team didn't make the playoffs and didn't see them again for another decade. THAT is how hard it is to keep a great team going and why what the Pats have done as only been duplicated by one other team (SF) who did it in a much easier environment.

That's so cool that you went to that game Ken. My buddy went to that game and like you he had an awesome experience. He got tickets because he was a season ticket holder. There were so few Patriots season ticket holders back then that every one was able to get Super Bowl tickets.

I too visited NO that weekend. One of the best in my life. The NFL was not so big then, and I got to mingle with the glitterati, including sitting next to Joe Montana one night for shrimp etouffee.

Great find!

I have to say that playoff run was the biggest thrill. In a way, bigger than 2001.

Some may scoff, but 2001 was like a surprise gift out of nowhere. 1985 was grudges, payback and freakin adrenaline non stop, at least the Raiders and Miami part.

Yep!

Just looking at the games from 1985 it was 30 years ago this past Tuesday that Mosi's Mooses Squished the Fish in the Orange Bowl.

That was a real smash mouth team. That defense was superb and Hannah was a monster. Every RB was an all pro behind him.

Yep!

I wish I still had that VCR tape that I joyously wrote "Squish the Fish" on. Watched that game a bunch of times in the late 80s early 90s. It was the best win in Pat's history up until that time. 18 straight losses at the Orange Bowl at the time. To quote Rodney several years later, "nobody gave us a chance", especially against the legendary Marino and the Orange Bowl Curse. Great game !

I have to say that playoff run was the biggest thrill. In a way, bigger than 2001.

Some may scoff, but 2001 was like a surprise gift out of nowhere. 1985 was grudges, payback and freakin adrenaline non stop, at least the Raiders and Miami part.

I agree. The 1985 run was not the same as the 2001 run. In 01 I felt that they were going to beat OAK and Pitt and play real well vs STL. 1985 I was 14 and was a very pessimistic lad.

I wish I still had that VCR tape that I joyously wrote "Squish the Fish" on. Watched that game a bunch of times in the late 80s early 90s. It was the best win in Pat's history up until that time. 18 straight losses at the Orange Bowl at the time. To quote Rodney several years later, "nobody gave us a chance", especially against the legendary Marino and the Orange Bowl Curse. Great game !

The whole 1985 AFCCG game is on Youtube broken up in chunks. Enjoy!

That was a real smash mouth team. That defense was superb and Hannah was a monster. Every RB was an all pro behind him.

Once Hannah retired the run game when to complete hell in 1986.

That was an incredible ride.

I have the Phins and Raiders game burned to DVD (I transferred them to DVD from the old VHS tapes I had)

Though the Superbowl ended poorly, that was such an unbelievable season.

Back in those days the Pats home games were always blacked out. They couldn't sell out a game.

I remember listening to all those home games on the radio in our basement.

And beating this Phins pretty convincingly as well.

The '85 run is my first football memory. It's hard to compare to 2001 because I had no perspective in '85. Of course, '85 ended with us running into a buzzsaw. That St. Louis team was no joke either. No one thought we would win. St. Louis was like 13.5 favorite and Borges had the infamous 73-0 prediction. I remember '85 being about people being elated about getting to the playoffs and making a run. 2001 was more like just shock. After it was over it was like 'WTF just happened?'.

I was just out of the Army the first time and remember watching the AFC title game in a bar down in North Kingstown RI with some buddy's...that year was fantastic...as other said it came crashing down but it was still great...and the Broncos had the worst loss ever the year after lol.

Squish the fish....that was awesome. God I'm getting old.

That wildcard game vs the nyj was incredible...pats hadn't won a playoff game in 20 years or so...johnny rembert scoring that fumble return TD sent an 10 year old me through the roof...it was the most excited I'd ever been watching sports on tv...its scary to think that was 30 years ago...go pats

85 was my first real year in watching football won that team will always be special to me.

That LB group was awesome

Tippett
Nelson
Rembert
Blackmon
McGrew

And the secondary at was pretty damn good

Clayborn
Marion
Roland James
Lippett

I ripped my Berry the Bears T-shirt in half during that game...

But oh, how beautiful, after the Bears allowed 0 points during the whole playoffs... when the scoreboard read 3-0 Pats.

Am I remembering that right? I think so. I was convinced, OMG we have a chance.

Brady is what Eason seemed like maybe sorta he might be.

Brady is what Eason seemed like maybe sorta he might be.

What???

Eason was the biggest ****y who ever wore a Uniform.

You have my Permission to delete your Post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3