PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ILB Adam Seward [merged - old 2008 thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats to host LB Adam Seward tomorrow

Honestly, for me, Seward is a low risk, mid to high reward type signing.

At most, he'll cost the Pats a 5th round pick.

At Worst, he'll bust out and get cut. At best, he'll become a solid ILB for the Pats and be a start of them getting younger.

Honestly, for me, Seward is a low risk, mid to high reward type signing.

At most, he'll cost the Pats a 5th round pick.

At Worst, he'll bust out and get cut. At best, he'll become a solid ILB for the Pats and be a start of them getting younger.
Agreed - worst case (if we get him) we lose a low 5th round pick. Big deal. I don't understand the angst, he's likely a better shot than a 5th round pick as he has at least some NFL experience.

Agreed - worst case (if we get him) we lose a low 5th round pick. Big deal. I don't understand the angst, he's likely a better shot than a 5th round pick as he has at least some NFL experience.
Thus, the Patriots can fill out the remainder of the roster by selecting cornerbacks and linebackers (or defensive end conversions) in the 2008 NFL Draft.

This guy is guaranteed to be better then the possible 5th round pick. No questions asked.

I agree. Though we did get Tommy in the 6th as I recall ;)

all kidding aside, I would be for it. A 5th for Seward would not be the steal of the century, but would be a good deal none the less.

Re: Pats to host LB tomorrow

The Patriots scouted Seward HEAVILY when he was coming out. They went with Claridge after Seward got picked. You have no idea what you're talking about. A 5th round pick is almost surely worth it, especially 31st overall in that late a round.

I absolutely agree ... to draft a comparable player you would have to draft in a higher round to get better predictability. Even in the 5th round ... trying to guess a player of Sewards talent is a risk ... we have cut more than a few ho were thought to be better.

Here are some scouting reports:

"Strengths: Has very good size and upper body strength. He is strong and powerful at the POA. Does a good job of filling hard and taking on blocks"
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24477

He clocked a 4.60 40 in the Combine the year he came out. Oh and he scored a 33 on the wonderlic which indicates he's fairly intelligent.
http://www.draftboardinsider.com/archives/2005/combine/LB.html

This signing fits the Pats MO perfectly. They let other teams "train" their linebackers, and scoop them up on the cheap later.

At worst Seward would be a nice special teams player. At best, he could be trained to be a 2 down run-stuffing ILB. What's not to like?

Some of you guys are really overvaluing draft picks if you're afraid of losing a 5th round pick.

Last edited:

Monty Beisel 2
Or Mike Vrabel 2. Remember Vrabel was a backup who didn't get much playing time in Pittsburgh. Maybe BB caught lightning in a bottle with his 2001 free agent signings because I am hard pressed to think of one other obscure free agent who has become a star after signing with the Patriots, but at the same time if it has happened before it could happen again. Maybe Seward is another diamond in the rough.

At worst Seward would be a nice special teams player. At best, he could be trained to be a 2 down run-stuffing ILB. What's not to like?

Some of you guys are really overvaluing draft picks if you're afraid of losing a 5th round pick.
Seward has bigger upside than Eric Alexander.

Let's get Seward i've always liked the kid and it won't burn my friend Biggie who is a panthers fan!

this is one of the guys reiss mentioned when going over all the possible free agent LB fits. before reiss mentioned him, i never heard of him. good call by reiss.

Somehow I don't think this is because Reiss is a good judge of personnel...Reiss has better access to the Pats than anyone else in the media. He knows who the Pats are looking at before anyone else. It's pretty amazing how in such a short period of time he's become the one-stop-shopping source for Pats news...

3 years in the league and 2 whole starts for Seward is not exactly inspiring. Heck, let's just compare him to Justin Rogers, since they are the two linebackers to compare. In his 3 NFL seasons, Seward has a grand total of 41 tackles. Rogers had 18 as a rookie.

Again, I don't know enough about the guy to vote 'yea' or 'nay'. The point is that neither does pretty much anyone else here.
How many starts did Vrabel have before he came to the Pats??? Let's hope this is Vrabel part 2...

Agreed, but I'll also take a redneck Panther fan's opinion of a player who they have actually, you know, seen play, over that of a blind Chowdah Head homer. ;)

And I'll take BB's word over all of them. Case closed.

He certainly fits the bill size wise. I think he sounds like a decent LB who struggles against the pass. I read some of the Panthers thread, they tend to think he's a very good ST as well. So at worst we're looking at a boost to STs. Again, any value you can possibly get from the 5th round, you take it.

Why are some of you under the impression that signing Seward would automatically preclude the Patriots from bringing in Clark Haggans, Victor Hobson, Boss Bailey or any number of other LB options???

Last edited:

Why are some of you under the impression that signing Seward would automatically preclude the Patriots from bringing in Clark Haggans, Victor Hobson, Boss Bailey or any number of other LB options???
There is only so much room under the salary cap.

I was thinking Ryan Claridge because of the UNLV connection.
WE should have taken Seward instead of Claridge. They came out together in the same draft.

If the FO deems Seward worthy of their 5th-rounder, then I'll be OK with that. But...

I like to keep as many draft choices as possible. Remember, Dan Koppen was a 5th-round pick in '03.

I hope that the FO's interest in Seward doesn't preclude it from taking a look at UFA ILBs who cost no draft choices, e.g.:
Victor Hobson
Brandon Chillar
Danny Clark
Na'il Diggs
Chaun Thompson
Nick Greisen
Kendrell Bell
Dan Morgan
Raonall Smith

Plus some older names, e.g.:
Randall Godfrey
Edgarton Hartwell
Isaiah Kacyvenski
Rob Morris
Clint Kriewaldt

How can any player not be worth a 5th round pick? They've been following him since college, they need ILBs something fierce.

Oh no, not a fifth round pick!!!:eek::eek:

How will I watch my 150th favorite player get drafted and cut by the Patriots so we can watch him on the Jets?:bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back