PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ILB Adam Seward [merged - old 2008 thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats to host LB Adam Seward tomorrow

I'm not sure why anyone has a problem with this guy. Has the physical tools to play in our system (unlike Beisel) and doesn't cost much. Beyond that, he's 25 with upside.

I can understand why people have issues with signing a 30-year-old Jason Webster who has no real upside, other than adding depth for camp or as a replacement for Gay, but Seward could come in and compete for a starting job.

Brady was a 6th Rd pick, #199, not a 5th. Point is you don't find Tom Brady's in late Rd's every year, for ex last year we had four 6th Rd picks. CB Mike Richardson is the only one still on the roster.

The others made the rosters of other teams. As for the 6th vs. 5th argument, that just makes the 5th even more of a value, not less.

Look, out of, say 1000 people at Patsfans.com, probably 1 actually knows enough about this guy to make any kind of judgment, so it makes no sense to get arguing over the guy because someone thinks he's a gamble worth a 5th round pick and someone else doesn't. Just as an example, take a look at part of the profile Sebman posted:

Seward is a bit stiff and undisciplined against the pass. He sometimes gets a little upright when taking on blocks and gets knocked back. He doesn't change directions or react very quickly to ball carriers. He appears a bit lackadaisical in his pass drops. He bites hard on ball fakes and struggles to get back to his spot.

That's not exactly what this team is looking for in an ILB, so someone arguing against 'wasting' a 5th on him is going to have some justification for that opinion. Belioli are great at this stuff, but they aren't perfect.

Last edited:

deleted....

Last edited:
Re: Pats to host LB tomorrow

This scouting report tells me he could be either of those, with strengths in taking on blockers

According to someone on the Panthers board I linked to in previous post, one of Seward's problems is shedding blockers, which sounded to me like it made him a tad suspect as an ILB in the 3-4.

According to someone on the Panthers board I linked to in previous post, one of Seward's problems is shedding blockers, which sounded to me like it made him a tad suspect as an ILB in the 3-4.

Yeah, but I think maybe we should let BB and Pioli make the personnel decisions rather than some redneck on a Panthers message board.

hes coming here as a back up and special teamer, carolina may match the offer so i wouldnt get to excited

hes coming here as a back up and special teamer, carolina may match the offer so i wouldnt get to excited

I doubt anybody heres excited lol, now if it were Haggans coming in for a visit...

Last edited:

If we really want him he's ours via poison pill language in the offer sheet, or we add something to the mix as we did with Welker.

There are lots of things wrong with this league that never do get fixed.

And, if I remember correctly, the Pats looked at him during the 2005 draft.

The Patriots scouted Seward HEAVILY when he was coming out. They went with Claridge after Seward got picked.

Yes indeed. I remember some of us being very high on him pre-draft. Now that he has two seasons of NFL exp -- I like him even better.

One minute people here are complaining we aren't bringing in any young LB - then we look at one and a 5th round pick (that's FIFTH ROUND) pick is too high ?

Jesus, get a grip.

Guess we can't please everybody. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but I think maybe we should let BB and Pioli make the personnel decisions rather than some redneck on a Panthers message board.

Agreed, but I'll also take a redneck Panther fan's opinion of a player who they have actually, you know, seen play, over that of a blind Chowdah Head homer. ;)

The others made the rosters of other teams. As for the 6th vs. 5th argument, that just makes the 5th even more of a value, not less.

Look, out of, say 1000 people at Patsfans.com, probably 1 actually knows enough about this guy to make any kind of judgment, so it makes no sense to get arguing over the guy because someone thinks he's a gamble worth a 5th round pick and someone else doesn't. Just as an example, take a look at part of the profile Sebman posted:

That's not exactly what this team is looking for in an ILB, so someone arguing against 'wasting' a 5th on him is going to have some justification for that opinion. Belioli are great at this stuff, but they aren't perfect.

I am looking for the next Ted Johnson with Seward not the next Asante. Like I said in my previous post, his strengths fit in well with our current LB's and our system. He doesn't have to be a perfect player.

This particular young experienced player is worth a 5th Rd pick, especially in a draft with not much in terms of talent at ILB. I am not making a blanket statement saying all players are worth trading 5th Rd picks for.

* Seward, 31 career games, 2 GS.

Below are the stats on the others who made the rosters of other teams. At best it's a 50% hit ratio, I included our 5th Rd pick from 2007 as well. Seward they know is a hit, because if all else fails he can play ST's and do it well.

5. (#171) OT Clint Oldenburg, Colorado State -> played in 2 games for Jets, 0 GS.

6. (#180) LB Justin Rogers, Southern Methodist -> played in 16 games for Cowboys, 18 ST tkls.

6. (#202) CB Mike Richardson, Notre Dame -> IR

6. (#208) RB Justin Hairston, Central Connecticut -> Colts PS, not signed for this year.

6. (#209) OT Corey Hilliard, Oklahoma State -> 3 games for Colts, 0 GS, most of the yr PS.

Just a hunch, would rather them look at a Hobson or a Bailey.. that is all, would be depth, but we have these kind in woods, slaughter, and alexander.

Bailey? Who is Bailey?

As for Hobson, he'd be a convert. And how do you know they aren't looking at Hobson?

Woods is NOT depth at ILB, which is where they are looking at Seward for.

Alexander hasn't proven he can make it as more than a special teams player.

Which 5th round talent would you rather the Pats take?

Bailey? Who is Bailey?

As for Hobson, he'd be a convert. And how do you know they aren't looking at Hobson?

Woods is NOT depth at ILB, which is where they are looking at Seward for.

Alexander hasn't proven he can make it as more than a special teams player.

Which 5th round talent would you rather the Pats take?

He means Boss Bailey from the Lions.

If they sign Him ,it will be to bulk up the Special Teams. Aiken,Williams,and Seward all look like Special teamers to Me.Bill Belichick complained at his Monday Pressers about his coverage teams.It looks like He's addressing them

Last edited:

Best way to find out about these no namers is to hit the other team's message boards. Looks like Carolina fans(yes they do exist!) aren't reluctant to see this guy go. Many think the 5th round pick is worth it for them. My gut tells me we should be able find something better out there and save the pick.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/72718-pats-interested-adam-seward.html

I hope Panthers mgmt feels the same way so we can get this guy on our roster.

I am looking for the next Ted Johnson with Seward not the next Asante. Like I said in my previous post, his strengths fit in well with our current LB's and our system. He doesn't have to be a perfect player.

This particular young experienced player is worth a 5th Rd pick, especially in a draft with not much in terms of talent at ILB. I am not making a blanket statement saying all players are worth trading 5th Rd picks for.

* Seward, 31 career games, 2 GS.

Below are the stats on the others who made the rosters of other teams. At best it's a 50% hit ratio, I included our 5th Rd pick from 2007 as well. Seward they know is a hit, because if all else fails he can play ST's and do it well.

5. (#171) OT Clint Oldenburg, Colorado State -> played in 2 games for Jets, 0 GS.

6. (#180) LB Justin Rogers, Southern Methodist -> played in 16 games for Cowboys, 18 ST tkls.

6. (#202) CB Mike Richardson, Notre Dame -> IR

6. (#208) RB Justin Hairston, Central Connecticut -> Colts PS, not signed for this year.

6. (#209) OT Corey Hilliard, Oklahoma State -> 3 games for Colts, 0 GS, most of the yr PS.

3 years in the league and 2 whole starts for Seward is not exactly inspiring. Heck, let's just compare him to Justin Rogers, since they are the two linebackers to compare. In his 3 NFL seasons, Seward has a grand total of 41 tackles. Rogers had 18 as a rookie.

Again, I don't know enough about the guy to vote 'yea' or 'nay'. The point is that neither does pretty much anyone else here.

3 years in the league and 2 whole starts for Seward is not exactly inspiring. Heck, let's just compare him to Justin Rogers, since they are the two linebackers to compare. In his 3 NFL seasons, Seward has a grand total of 41 tackles. Rogers had 18 as a rookie.

Again, I don't know enough about the guy to vote 'yea' or 'nay'. The point is that neither does pretty much anyone else here.

Rogers had more chances at tkls with Cowboys last year because they score so damn well, the Panthers haven't since Seward joined them. Seward only played in 4 games as a rookie in 2005 because he went on IR. Some of us that like this player are simply saying he would be a better fit here than in Carolina where he was miscast as an OLB for two yrs. When Seward graduated UNLV in 2004, he left as the all-time leader in tackles with 433 (also MW Conf history). He can play.

Last edited:

Mike Reiss must really be plugged in to the Pats.

Several days ago in his "mailbag" he predicted that this is a guy the Patriots could go after.

Very good call

Heck, it's well worth the risk considering Eric Alexander will amount to practically nothing in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes