PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ILB Adam Seward [merged - old 2008 thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats to host LB Adam Seward tomorrow

There is only so much room under the salary cap.

LOL! So we can't afford Adam Freakin' Seward and ONE of Hobson, Haggans or Bailey? That's ridiculous.

Plus some older names, e.g.:
Randall Godfrey
Edgarton Hartwell
Isaiah Kacyvenski
Rob Morris
Clint Kriewaldt

Your previous list was better. I can't see the Pats pursuing ANY of these names.

I had this guy on my fantasy team a couple years ago (yes we go real deep).

I think they should grab him, it would be a nice pickup. BB can coach him up real good.

Why are some of you under the impression that signing Seward would automatically preclude the Patriots from bringing in Clark Haggans, Victor Hobson, Boss Bailey or any number of other LB options???
I don't think it will preclude it, but it does tell me something that they are looking at an RFA before they are looking at the UFAs.
I am of the opinion that the untimely retirement of Johnson has screwed up the LB corps since 2005. They've never actually replaced him, just stop-gapped.

I don't think it will preclude it, but it does tell me something that they are looking at an RFA before they are looking at the UFAs.
I am of the opinion that the untimely retirement of Johnson has screwed up the LB corps since 2005. They've never actually replaced him, just stop-gapped.
That is true and a bit ironic since MANY fans of the team really never appreciated what he did...je was called a JAG...easily replaceable..way too slow etc etc. and yet, that run plugger has NOT been found to replace him. They don't make LBs like him anymore..those in the trench big, slow guys..I think this year they find one..

Re: Pats to host LB tomorrow

WE should have taken Seward instead of Claridge. They came out together in the same draft.

Except that Seward was drafted before Claridge in the 5th round. And Sanders was who the Pats took in the 4th round.

If the FO deems Seward worthy of their 5th-rounder, then I'll be OK with that. But...

I like to keep as many draft choices as possible. Remember, Dan Koppen was a 5th-round pick in '03.

Koppen and to a much lesser extent O'Callaghan, have been the only successes the Pats have had with 5th round picks.

I hope that the FO's interest in Seward doesn't preclude it from taking a look at UFA ILBs who cost no draft choices, e.g.:
Victor Hobson Could be good as he has 3-4 experience
Brandon Chillar Could be a good choice for OLB
Danny Clark Could be good as he has 3-4 experience
Na'il Diggs Not too thrilled about him.
Chaun Thompson Could be good as he has 3-4 experience
Nick Greisen For short money on a "Lets see what you got" contract
Kendrell Bell Hasn't been good since his rookie year
Dan Morgan Too Injury Prone
Raonall Smith Who?

Randall Godfrey Pats have looked at him before and not signed him
Edgarton Hartwell No Knees left
Isaiah Kacyvenski Been a special teamer most of his career.
Rob Morris How would Morris, who's played in the Tampa-2 his whole career, help the Pats?
Clint Kriewaldt Been a special teamer most of his career.

Why not mention Boss Bailey as well?

Wasn't Bailey a very fast linebacker as well?

Goddfrey will never come here, he wined about running up the score last yr when we played the skins..

Wasn't Bailey a very fast linebacker as well?

I would love Boss Baily, but hear he may go to denver to play with his bro champ... Hobson or Haggins will be nice, and still need 2 more CB

Your previous list was better. I can't see the Pats pursuing ANY of these names.

Neither can I, esp. if Seau returns.

Another name I meant to include in the list is Northeastern's own Liam Ezekial (UDFA-2005), currently in the AFL.

1) Koppen and to a much lesser extent O'Callaghan, have been the only successes the Pats have had with 5th round picks.

2) Why not mention Boss Bailey as well?

1) True; but maybe the 7th time is the charm.

2) Bailey, similar to others not listed, is too light in the pants. IIRC, there was talk of moving him to SS, depending on which team drafted him in '03.

There is only so much room under the salary cap.

If the Pats want a player badly enough, they are creative enough

to make cap space.

Koppen and to a much lesser extent O'Callaghan, have been the only successes the Pats have had with 5th round picks.

Belichick arrived in 2000. Since then, the team has only had 8 5th round picks and 2 of them were in the miserable first draft under BB (although that draft did net Brady). However, if you take away that horrible draft, that leaves the following:

Hakim Akbar
Dan Koppen
P.K. Sam
Ryan Claridge
Ryan O'Callaghan
Clint Oldenburg

That means that 50% of the draftees (outside the disaster of year 1) are still in the NFL and one is an all-pro. Does anyone think that Seward has better than a 1-in-6 change of becoming an all-pro?

A lot of people say this, but need I remind you that Ted Johnson was CRAP for the last few years of his career? He was slow, plodding, not all that effective and benched. Now it well could have been his concussion issues, and I appreciate all he did for the team, but this idea that Ted Johnson was some impact guy and we just haven't replaced him is a fallacy.

If the FO deems Seward worthy of their 5th-rounder, then I'll be OK with that. But...

I like to keep as many draft choices as possible. Remember, Dan Koppen was a 5th-round pick in '03.

I hope that the FO's interest in Seward doesn't preclude it from taking a look at UFA ILBs who cost no draft choices, e.g.:
Victor Hobson
Brandon Chillar
Danny Clark
Na'il Diggs
Chaun Thompson
Nick Greisen
Kendrell Bell
Dan Morgan
Raonall Smith

Randall Godfrey
Edgarton Hartwell
Isaiah Kacyvenski
Rob Morris
Clint Kriewaldt

Foxsports had a rumor the Pats are in touch with Haggans. I definitely do not think the Pats plan on making Seward their only LB addition if they do sign him. We need to add two or three LBs no matter what happens to Seward.

As for the 5th round pick that seems to got a lot of people in a huff, it is a fifth round pick and a fifth round pick that is near the end of the round. A fifth round pick is definitely no guarantee to make the team especially on a team like the Pats that doesn't have a lot holes and five picks in the first four rounds. If the Pats feel that Seward is better than what we can get in the fifth round, so be it.

Many places I have read is that Seward may be better suited for a 3-4 defense than a 4-3. What might have held him back from being a productive starter may have been the system. Coming to New England might do wonders to his career.

Remember, Calvin Pace was one of the bigger free agent prizes this season and he was a bust until the Cards switched to a 3-4 and he moved to OLB. Now he got more than Adalius Thomas to play for the Jets. Seward could have a similiar break out season switching to the 3-4.

Belichick arrived in 2000. Since then, the team has only had 8 5th round picks and 2 of them were in the miserable first draft under BB (although that draft did net Brady). However, if you take away that horrible draft, that leaves the following:

Hakim Akbar
Dan Koppen
P.K. Sam
Ryan Claridge
Ryan O'Callaghan
Clint Oldenburg

That means that 50% of the draftees (outside the disaster of year 1) are still in the NFL and one is an all-pro. Does anyone think that Seward has better than a 1-in-6 change of becoming an all-pro?

Koppen is a Pro Bowl player, he was not voted to the All-Pro team. Why do you exclude 2000's draft just because they had a "mediocre" draft? They still made the selections and they should be counted (and not excluded just because they don't support your argument). Three of the eight players are still in the NFL, one is very good, one is a serviceable back up, and one is an enigma. Three of eight with one starter (albeit a very good one). I think I'll take my chances on Seward.

A lot of people say this, but need I remind you that Ted Johnson was CRAP for the last few years of his career? He was slow, plodding, not all that effective and benched. Now it well could have been his concussion issues, and I appreciate all he did for the team, but this idea that Ted Johnson was some impact guy and we just haven't replaced him is a fallacy.

He started 15 games from the bench in 2004?

Koppen is a Pro Bowl player, he was not voted to the All-Pro team. Why do you exclude 2000's draft just because they had a "mediocre" draft? They still made the selections and they should be counted (and not excluded just because they don't support your argument). Three of the eight players are still in the NFL, one is very good, one is a serviceable back up, and one is an enigma. Three of eight with one starter (albeit a very good one). I think I'll take my chances on Seward.

1.) Dan Koppen, All-Pro:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d805db597&template=with-video&confirm=true

2.) Go take a look at that 2000 draft. If you want to count it, feel free. I would guess that there's still not going to be many people who think there is a better than 1-in-8 chance that Seward will be an all-pro.

3.) O'Callaghan has more career starts than Seward.

4.) I don't know enough about Seward to care one way or the other. Belioli are extremely competent and I generally defer to them. However, I can understand the people who don't want to just give away a 5th round pick on this guy.

Last edited:

Hakim Akbar
Dan Koppen
P.K. Sam
Ryan Claridge
Ryan O'Callaghan
Clint Oldenburg

With a statistical analysis like that, you should work for a campaign.

You have a gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back