PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ILB Adam Seward [merged - old 2008 thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats to host LB Adam Seward tomorrow

He was busy creating a state of the art Adam Seward fan site with Elmo.

One minute people here are complaining we aren't bringing in any young LB - then we look at one and a 5th round pick (that's FIFTH ROUND) pick is too high ?

Jesus, get a grip.

One minute people here are complaining we aren't bringing in any young LB - then we look at one and a 5th round pick (that's FIFTH ROUND) pick is too high ?

Jesus, get a grip.

If someone thinks he's a stiff, they are right to begrudge the 5th round pick. It's not as if this guy's setting the world on fire to this point in his career.

Did you guys complain when when the Pats picked Vrabel off of Pittsburgh's bench. My hunch is that the Pats will not be drafting a Gholston at 7 which will also bring out more "we know better" posts.

This guy is guaranteed to be better then the possible 5th round pick. No questions asked.

Any talk otherwise would force a user to obtain a grip and a write an apology directed towards the Patriots organization.

Seems good...and only a 5th...another option...I agree..I think they will trade down get a few picks..THAT is my guess..but with Tank aboard.. ILB..starting CB...

I like this move. He will be very cheap, how much do you need to pay a guy to get him to want to get out of his low RFA tender? Not much.
There arent a ton of ILBs that fit our criteria. I dont think a guy who is suited for a 34 and is a backup on a 43 team is necessarily a guy who sat because he sucked.
I dont know a lot about this guy, but I assume if BB is looking at him, he is a decent fit for our system.
I do not think the 'developmental' LBs we have are developing, so why not develop one who already has 3 yrs NFL experience and at the very least has good s/t play on tape????????
If he turns out to be the Eric Alexander replacement, and is an upgrade, that is worth a 5th, particularly if he really is a solid special teamer. If he turns out to be more, it wouldn't be the first time BB found a good ILB langusihing somewhere else.

I hope he has good LB coverage skills and can be part of the nickel/dime and 2 minute in coverage, while backing up at ILB and playing s/ts

This might be a good signing. A young player with 3 years

experience who played 3-4 in college. This is a weak draft for

middle linebackers and by the fifth round there probably will be

no one worth selecting at MLB. Where he was tendered so low,

Carolina might let him go.

Re: Pats to host LB tomorrow

How do you figure he's Monty Beisel part 2?

monty beisel part 3: "The quest for more missed tackles"

If someone thinks he's a stiff, they are right to begrudge the 5th round pick. It's not as if this guy's setting the world on fire to this point in his career.

Well, last year was only his third season, which is prolly the earliest you could realistically expect a 5th rounder to be prepared to start. Except, they also drafted Beason, whose rookie season rivaled Patick Willis'.

Savvy find by the Pats. Beason should be a top MLB for 8-10 years. The guy behind him would seem to be easy pickings, particularly if the FO liked him in the 2005 draft.

Begrudging the "loss" of a 5th rounder isn't really worth the effort, is it?

He has the size and from the scouting report he has the physical nature too. It's crazy to think the guy would be a bad fit. Might he not work out ? Sure. But on paper he is well worth the cost.

Huh, I remember way back in the Patsfans draft contest, being sure that the Patriots would take a UNLV linebacker and going back and forth between Claridge and Seward...

In any case, there's absolutely no basis for comparison to Beisel. He was a DL in the process of attempting conversion to LB, while Seward is pure LB and even played 3-4 in college. As others have said, it's basically the equivalent of drafting a young vet, why not? In general, I'm surprised more teams aren't aggressive in pursuing RFAs.

Im glad there bringing in a LB to look at but Id rather have Clark Haggans from Pit.

Well, last year was only his third season, which is prolly the earliest you could realistically expect a 5th rounder to be prepared to start. Except, they also drafted Beason, whose rookie season rivaled Patick Willis'.

Savvy find by the Pats. Beason should be a top MLB for 8-10 years. The guy behind him would seem to be easy pickings, particularly if the FO liked him in the 2005 draft.

Begrudging the "loss" of a 5th rounder isn't really worth the effort, is it?

It depends on what people think of him. The notion that he's somehow automatically better than a 5th round pick should be absurd to anyone who's a Patriots fan, given the round in which the team's starting quarterback was chosen in.

I'm not knocking the guy, because I don't know enough about him. The team needs to bring in linebackers who can play on the inside. On the other hand, giving up draft picks for a guy who was backing up in a 4-3 doesn't get me leaping for joy, either. I can see both sides of this argument.

How do you figure he's Monty Beisel part 2?

Just a hunch, would rather them look at a Hobson or a Bailey.. that is all, would be depth, but we have these kind in woods, slaughter, and alexander.

FWIW, there's a surprisingly active thread on a Panthers board about the topic:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/72718-pats-interested-adam-seward.html

Fanbase seems to be split between holding onto him and others just wanting the draft pick. Though basted on coherence of posts, the more intelligent camp seems to prefer holding on to him.

Also, don't think that board is strictly modded, so be prepared for some R-rated discussion about John Fox's wife. ;)

It depends on what people think of him. The notion that he's somehow automatically better than a 5th round pick should be absurd to anyone who's a Patriots fan, given the round in which the team's starting quarterback was chosen in.

I'm not knocking the guy, because I don't know enough about him. The team needs to bring in linebackers who can play on the inside. On the other hand, giving up draft picks for a guy who was backing up in a 4-3 doesn't get me leaping for joy, either. I can see both sides of this argument.

Brady was a 6th Rd pick, #199, not a 5th. Point is you don't find Tom Brady's in late Rd's every year, for ex last year we had four 6th Rd picks. CB Mike Richardson is the only one still on the roster.

What makes you say that? From what I've seen they are different in size and playing style. I'm not saying Seward will turn into the next Mike Vrabel (backup LB for Pitt who's become a star LB in NE), but I don't know why he has to automatically be the next Monty Beisel, either.

2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 55 | Key
Alert: T

Comment: Seward has good speed, agility and range. He is a high-motor player who gives max effort every snap. He has good instincts and tracks the ball well. He is an aggressive take-on player who attacks downhill and seems to relish collisions with a back or guard. He gets through trash easily when pursuing perimeter runs. He is a sound tackler. He times up his blitzes well. But Seward is a bit stiff and undisciplined against the pass. He sometimes gets a little upright when taking on blocks and gets knocked back. He doesn't change directions or react very quickly to ball carriers. He appears a bit lackadaisical in his pass drops. He bites hard on ball fakes and struggles to get back to his spot.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?statsId=7325

Sounds a lot like a 34 2 gap ILB to me.
Again, I'm hoping for 2 things at ILB.
1) A guy who can play on run downs and be effective
2) A guy who can play in sub packages in nickel, dime and 2 minute
I prefer one of each to one guy to fill both roles.
This scouting report tells me he could be either of those, with strengths in taking on blockers, speed and range. I would assume 3 years into the NFL, he has been coached out of the playing upright issue, or we will do that quickly. I'm not concerned, with regard to his potential to cover in sub packages that his negative in pass coverage is biting on play fakes, but the speed, agility, range and tackling strengths translate well here.

I know we don't know a lot about this guy, but what Ive heard so far makes him sound like a Patriot kind of guy.

I hope he has good LB coverage skills and can be part of the nickel/dime and 2 minute in coverage, while backing up at ILB and playing s/ts

Hold on now, I like my LBs to have an AARP card, this guy is way too young and way too fast...

I agree with Andy. I like it, if they can sign him on the cheap and he plays in a rotation and special teams what is the risk.

List of recent 5th round picks... get the picture? it is well documented that players drafted beyond round 4 have little chance of making the roster. Rounds 5-7 are purely for reserve backups, special teamers and training camp bodies. The kid has spent 3 years in the league in a good system, nows how to prepare and play at an NFL level. Sounds like a bargain to me, of course Carolina can always match the Patriots offer.

5 171 Clint Oldenburg T Colorado State
5 136 Ryan O'Callaghan T California
5 170 Ryan Claridge LB Nevada-Las Vegas
5 164 P.K. Sam WR Florida State
5 164 Dan Koppen C Boston College
5 163 Hakim Akbar DB Washington
5 161 Jeff Marriott -- Missouri
5 154 Derrick Fletcher T Baylor
5 145 Ron Merkerson LB Colorado

Last edited:

Sounds like a bargain for the 5th.

I guess the wild card is how much it would cost to sign him. Any offer has to be enough for him to take -- so obviously more than the tender amount -- and enough to make sure Carolina doesn't match. Unclear how cheap that would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes