Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If the Pats add another WR, who should go?

• Wes Welker

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Julian Edelman

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Brandon Tate

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Taylor Price

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Deion Branch

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Keep them all

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • Don't add another WR

Votes: 22 26.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted Tate if they have a better option at KR. This is before seeing if Branch or Welker suddenly aged, or if anyone gets hurt, etc.

Tate. Can't separate, can't catch, and did nothing on kickoffs in the second half.

I voted keep em all. That said, Tate needs to improve and I also wish Branch was a bit tougher.

THAT said, there's a reason they put up 30+ points in the last eight games of the regular season. Also the new and improved running game should clear some space and improve PA.

EDIT: Welker is great, I love rooting for him, but he just seems like a guy who's trade value may be higher than his actual expected future contributions to the team (i.e. one great year as a slot receiver and then some kind of 2013 draft pick after he departs as a free agent)

Not to be facetious, but who says he's looking to break the bank?

And, for that matter, who is going to pay him $5M-$7M a year?

And Edelman can do a lot of what he can do,
No he can't. Have you watched him play? He is quick. That is the similarity. Leading the NFL in receptions for 3 years is not the same as being a quick who doesnt produce much.

Tate. Can't separate, can't catch, and did nothing on kickoffs in the second half.
What can/did Edelman do?

Edelman is a punt returner and a slot receiver. He has laready replaced Welker as a punt returner. He plays reasonably well in the slot when Welker is injured. If Welker is gone next year, Edelman can be counted on in the slot.

The bottom line for me is that we are using 2 position for slot receiver and punt return positions. I'm fine with that.

Obviously, Belichick might upgrade Edelman with a slot receiver who also is top punt returner.
===================
The much more serious issue is who is going to be receiver other than the slot receiver. The most dependable seems to be Hernandez.

As far as wideouts the trio of Branch, Tate and Branch could use an addition.

What can/did Edelman do?

Edelman is a punt returner and a slot receiver. He has laready replaced Welker as a punt returner.
OK. He returns punts. We are talking about WRs.
He plays reasonably well in the slot when Welker is injured.
Huh? He caught 7 passes all season.

If Welker is gone next year, Edelman can be counted on in the slot.
Thats like saying if Brady is gone next year, Hoyer can be counted on at QB. Or if Wilfork is gone Love can be counted on at NT.
Wes Welker led the NFL in pass receptions for 3 seasons. Edelman caught 7 passes all of last year.
The similarity is that they are quick. So far, it ends there.

The bottom line for me is that we are using 2 position for slot receiver and punt return positions. I'm fine with that.
Perhaps, but people are saying cut Tate because he didnt produce last year and Edelman can replace the best slot reciever the league has seen, after he went an entire season catching 7 passes?
He really isn't Welker's backup because whenever Welker has played Edelman has been non-existent.

Obviously, Belichick might upgrade Edelman with a slot receiver who also is top punt returner.
Or he may bring in a receiver and cut the guy who has shown the least since being here, and substantially digressed last year.
You do realize that before the last game when we played the backup Edleman caught 4 passes all year right? That in weeks 4-15 he DID NOT CATCH A SINGLE PASS?
13 games in 2011 Edelman was catchless. THAT is the guy you are COUNITNG ON to replace Welkers 432 catches for 4536 yards and 22 TDs in the last 4 years? He has caught 7.1 passes per game as a Pat. Edelman caught 7 last year.
I know he's a nice story, but he has to be able to play, and he hasn't shown that yet.
===================
The much more serious issue is who is going to be receiver other than the slot receiver. The most dependable seems to be Hernandez.

As far as wideouts the trio of Branch, Tate and Branch could use an addition.
Addition I can agree with. Addition to subtract one in order to keep a guy who never catches passes is inane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Return punts. Slater can run into his blockers just as well as Tate.
See above, no sense repeating myself.

Return punts. Slater can run into his blockers just as well as Tate.

fyi slater is gone.:D

we got that cb late from tcu (he was some stud HS player) good but underachieved in college.

Slater is on the show The Weakest Link

GOODBYE :singing:

`I rather carry an xtra DB/ST than a useless WR and a good ST:rocker:

i would say Slater but he is not a part of the poll

If we are taking about our #4 and #5 WR, then we SHOULD be talking about value at other roles, like punt returner. IMHO, if Edelman didn't return punts, he would have little chance of making the team in 2011 (perhaps not in 2010 either).

After all, our #4 and #5 receivers don't NEED to be top receivers. As you state, our #4 WR last year caught 7 passes. And we had one of the most passing games in the nfl.
----------------------
If all this angst is because folks would rather cut TATE than EDELMAN, then I agree with you rather than them. TATE is our #3 receiver and our kick returner. TATE might be our #2 in 2011, depending on Branch's play and Tate's development.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Edelman is indeed the most vulnerable of the three youngsters. Having said that, the #4 and #5 receivers are luxuries and must have other functions. Of course, there is usually
room for one developmental wider receiver.

Our top 6 receivers from 2010 are coming back (3 WR, 2 TE and a RB). Neither is named Edelman or Price.

OK. He returns punts. We are talking about WRs.

Huh? He caught 7 passes all season.

Thats like saying if Brady is gone next year, Hoyer can be counted on at QB. Or if Wilfork is gone Love can be counted on at NT.
Wes Welker led the NFL in pass receptions for 3 seasons. Edelman caught 7 passes all of last year.
The similarity is that they are quick. So far, it ends there.

Perhaps, but people are saying cut Tate because he didnt produce last year and Edelman can replace the best slot reciever the league has seen, after he went an entire season catching 7 passes?
He really isn't Welker's backup because whenever Welker has played Edelman has been non-existent.

Or he may bring in a receiver and cut the guy who has shown the least since being here, and substantially digressed last year.
You do realize that before the last game when we played the backup Edleman caught 4 passes all year right? That in weeks 4-15 he DID NOT CATCH A SINGLE PASS?
13 games in 2011 Edelman was catchless. THAT is the guy you are COUNITNG ON to replace Welkers 432 catches for 4536 yards and 22 TDs in the last 4 years? He has caught 7.1 passes per game as a Pat. Edelman caught 7 last year.
I know he's a nice story, but he has to be able to play, and he hasn't shown that yet.

Addition I can agree with. Addition to subtract one in order to keep a guy who never catches passes is inane.

Why Do We NEED A Receiver?

1) We had one of the top passing offenses in the nfl in 2010.

2) Our top five receivers included two wideouts, two tight ends and a running back. This is the balanced receiving attack most of us like.

3) Our number 3 receiver is clearly TATE. Tate was the number 3 last year with half the catches of Branch.

4) Our #4 and #5 receivers totaled 10 receptions for the year, between them. This was hardly a key component of the total. These positions may have more receptions this year with Welker and Branch perhaps having less, or not.

5) PRICE is untested and is our developmental player who may or may not develop.

6) EDELMAN is our inexpensive #5 WR and PR and signed through 2012.

7) Could we upgrade BRANCH at a similar cost? Maybe.

8) Could we upgrade punt returner Edelman at a similar cost? Maybe.

I agree that we should likely keep all of the WR's that we currently have, all for different reasons of course. I will also not be slightly opposed to bringing in another vet, regardless of what the labor situation brings. Belichick gets paid very good money to assess that situation, and if he thinks another vet could fill a role or challenge someone, then so be it. IF someone had to go b/c that so-called vet exceeded any expectations, then that is just a bonus. If I personally had to make the choice now, instead of then (which is hard to do, considering that we don't know 'said vet's' skillset--I would choose Deion Branch. I would rather replace a vet with a vet, and save the younger/cheaper players such as Edelman, Price, and Tate (all for different reasons).

I also agree that Slater is on the bubble, and can/should be replaced as a ST. This team added even more ST players through the draft, and I am sure that one can save a spot by offering a dual role as a positional player AND gunner, even if there's a step or two dropoff from Slater's ST play. Regardless, saving an extra spot will be a priority, as it should be.

I will argue on behalf on Welker's case, in that he is extremely important in this offense, and I do not feel as though that can be 'easily' replaced--as some posters claim. Edelman is a fine backup WR, who offers other aspects such as a very good PR, but he is no Wes Welker. I certainly hope that Welker and the Pats can agree on an extension, and would see no reason why that isn't a high possibility--and even a high priority. I do not want to lose Welker, and feel as though he had a remarkable yr last year, especially considering his injury in January. So far, he has been everything we want in a player on this team. Those who see him 'on the downside' etc should re-think their position immediately, and re-asses his importance on this offense. His chemistry with Brady is amazing, and likely cannot be duplicated (IMO).

That said, I also am very anxious to see Price with some increased reps. If anything, I could see Tate and Price battle it out should Tate not continue to show growth, or should Price open some eyes in camp. They both can offer some of the same skillsets that can be compared, as opposed to say--Tate vs Edelman, who are 2 very different players. Both Tate and Price should be able to contribute by running more intermediate routes, along with some longer ones at times. Both are fast, and could be on the same wavelength in ST play. Of course Tate likely has the upper hand on this battle due to last yr's reps that Price did not get + his KR skills, but if Price shows anything (and/or) Tate doesn't show enough, I could see these 2 as the likely battle for WR3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft